As planned, I made a 7drl using this technique: http://humbit.com/zurvivors/
Couldn’t do real-time very well for a few reasons. Lots of layers. 100 for the tallest buildings and 50 for trees. I used 256x256 textures (dumb because the tiles are only about 64px wide in game… but I wanted to be able to zoom in and show the detail).
My thinking now is that the, for real-time games, the technique is probably very feasible for small textures/number of layers. If you look at the the original link I posted, they’re making a game with 15 layer, tiny sprites. That probably works great. If you embrace the chunkiness of the quasi-3d, it’s a good fit. I was shooting for something slightly more realistic and targeting HTML5, so was limited to turn based.
The game is not very well polished by the way. I hope to release at least one patch with bug fixes and balance, but wanted to post here about the results. I think they’re pretty nifty.
Oh and one more clarification: I definitely didn’t want to generate any images on the fly. That part is pretty slow. But reusing the code for TrashTree proved to be a quick way to generate assets programmatically.