Ah that sounds cool by me then. Was just a surprise :D
Posts made by agmcleod
RE: Bug with horizontal spike thing, gets stuck behind jumper
Bug with horizontal spike thing, gets stuck behind jumper
Seem to have an issue where a horizontal spike moves and gets stuck behind a platform with a jumper/spring on it.
Can see the spike placed in the first image here: http://imgur.com/a/r1V5r. Then in the second one when im playing the game, it ends up stuck behind it.
Delete the block i put to stop the spike from going over there. I think the spring is pushing it up, lol.
RE: Lostcast 193: Indietober
Good episode, rather enjoyed it. Here’s my thoughts as well:
- Scheduled tweets: One half way to do it is set reminders on your computer/phone to do it. Set it for a time of day you prefer to do that stuff. Store the content in a textfile, or nvAlt or something simple. Unfortunately manual, but it will keep you consistent.
- Melee combat. Might be able to make it more effective and longer range by having creatures use weapons of some kind. Think about how long sephiroph’s sword is from FF7, but he’s still melee. Raga has the most health. Him going range might make him the only thing worth using again. I like fegemo’s point about the tail being more directional, and as a bit of a shield too.
- I like wands :(. One thing to think about with removing them is the value of gold/shops. Though I do like the idea of monsters having more interesting abilities like wands that you can possess as well. The theming is important of course, wands coming from the wizard label originally. But in terms of focusing on ranged, wands are ranged themselves too.
RE: Lostcast 189: Platform Percolator
Yep, having a realistic goal for the game you want to play is hard as well. I think i want something like starcitizen, but it just sounds insane to actually finish. Though I also think such a big game would basically be a life style to play. My next idea I hope to prototype either end of this year or early next is because a game I’d like to play doesn’t really seem exist. Similar to your metroid meets zelda game that you wish existed :)
RE: Lostcast 189: Platform Percolator
@Ceric awesome post to read there. I find your thoughts on those different games and what applies to AWL and such to be rather interesting. Stardew valley is the one we have in common, and I have to agree with you 100%. There’s a pretty clear path of progression, and mechanics to work with. It even has combat if you’re so inclined. There’s a number of story lines that have popped up i have yet to explore as well.
Anyways, here’s my notes from this weeks episode:
- Inheritance. JResig is a mixed bag, I really just recommend to anyone needing inheritance to just load up babel these days. In terms of inheritance depth, do you have just one base class, or do you have BaseA > Sprite > Entity > Raga type scenarios? I’ve definitely had this, and MelonJS still has it to some degree. More than being a language limitation, as a design pattern it’s rather painful.
- If “Rogue-like” is played out as a term, perhaps we need to move onto: “Rogue-ish” ;)
- Meeting needs with an app: I listen to an iOS/Mac development podcast called Under the Radar. Neither of the two devs have worked on games, but they often bring it up as a difficult sounding market. With regular apps though, they have talked about issues of knowing your market, how do you differ from the competition, stand out, how to monetize, when to release, etc. It has a lot of the same marketing/eye ball issues that games have. Though I agree with you guys on needing a vision and focus for what you want to build. Solve a problem with your game. What game is it you’re missing in your life?
RE: Lostcast 186: Indie Game Cast
To be a jerk, I have to correct Geoff :D. In OpenGL, bottom left is not 0,0, it’s -1,-1. 0,0 is the center of the screen. But yeah Y is opposite direction, so positive Y goes up the screen, negative goes down. He’s quite right on that point. Just important to note where 0,0 truly is. You can obviously use matrices to build your own coordinate system to make 0,0 bottom left or even top left.
RE: Art improvement thread
Question about line art, drawing with your shoulder and that. Was doing some still life on the weekend, and was having to do lines bit by bit, and clean up the mistakes. Is the focus to move more towards doing straight/smooth lines with a single stroke? Or is it more about doing it bit by bit? Does it actually matter?