Work gear?

• Hello Lostdecade membres,
    I was following your youtube channel and podcast for the last two months and I’m curious about your working Gear.
    Pc/Imac/probook? tools for dev and art etc. Oh… and what are you using to draw on screen :3.

• LDG

Hiya! Here’s my gear:

1. Machine: 15" MacBook Pro (about 3 years old) running OS X 10.9.1
    2. Code editing: MacVim Custom Version 7.4
    3. Version control: git
    4. Remote backups: AWS
    5. Dev environment: Chrome (latest)
    6. Graphics: Photoshop CS5
    7. Tablet: Wacom Cintiq 12WX

Happy to answer any questions about my setup! @geoffb loves stuff like this, I’m sure he’ll post his gear eventually too :D

• LDG

Hardware

• 13" MacBook Pro Retina, OSX Mavericks (2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    • Dell Inspiron 580(?), Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12 or 13

Software

Here are the applications I have open most often for development. Check out my list of awesome OS X apps for more.

• Patron

Some questions for you, @geoffb:

• Sublime; worth upgrading to 3 from 2? Big difference? How is plugin compat?
    • Terminal; have you tried iTerm? Upgrading to that was big boon for me (the tabs alone are worth it).
    • Kaleidoscope; how are you using that in your workflow? It seems like a subset of Git functionality?
    • Github for Mac; were you using the terminal before adopting GfM? I’m doing all git stuff in the terminal (well, iTerm), and feel like a GUI would have a hard time to make the already smooth process more efficient. Would love to be wrong, though, so please talk me into it if you found it was worth it! :)
    • Asana; I vaguely remember you saying on some lostcast that you tried a few different services. Did you ever come across Teambox? I’m looking to (finally) succumb to a task manager service, and am a bit lost. I had my eyes on Asana after you guys promoted it, but now I just listened to a Swedish tech podcast where the guys ditched Asana in favour of Teambox. I like the look of Teambox Github integration, whereas it seems you have to jump through several hoops to get the same thing working in Asana.

• LDG

• Sublime; worth upgrading to 3 from 2? Big difference? How is plugin compat?

Ehhh. I can’t think of any killer features that would make it a must upgrade. I think ST2 license holders can try ST3 for free while it’s in beta, though. As far as plugin compatibility, I do remember having a few issues. I think I just reinstalled the packages I wanted using Package Control.

• Terminal; have you tried iTerm? Upgrading to that was big boon for me (the tabs alone are worth it).

I used to use iTerm, but switched back to Terminal. The biggest nicety of iTerm for me was the split pane, and I didn’t even end up using that very much. I can’t remember the exact issue, but something caused me enough pain to switch back. :)

Terminal has had tabs for a while, although the default tab cycling hotkey isn’t as good. (SHIFT+CMD+LEFT/RIGHT)

• Kaleidoscope; how are you using that in your workflow? It seems like a subset of Git functionality?

It’s a diff viewer. I have it hooked up through the git difftool command as the default viewer. So, whenever I want to diff some code, it opens in a nice side by side GUI instead of the terminal.

• Github for Mac; were you using the terminal before adopting GfM? I’m doing all git stuff in the terminal (well, iTerm), and feel like a GUI would have a hard time to make the already smooth process more efficient. Would love to be wrong, though, so please talk me into it if you found it was worth it! :)

I use the terminal for most everyday usage. My primary use case for GitHub for Mac is easily reviewing changes to the code. See this screenshot.

I use this as mostly a support app (like Kaleidoscope) because I hate looking at diffs in the terminal.

• Asana; I vaguely remember you saying on some lostcast that you tried a few different services. Did you ever come across Teambox? I’m looking to (finally) succumb to a task manager service, and am a bit lost. I had my eyes on Asana after you guys promoted it, but now I just listened to a Swedish tech podcast where the guys ditched Asana in favour of Teambox. I like the look of Teambox Github integration, whereas it seems you have to jump through several hoops to get the same thing working in Asana.

Haven’t tried Teambox, but it looks pretty nice. I like the chat integration and other features. I feel like asana might add those at some point. I feel like we have so much data invested in asana now that’d it be hard to switch! :) The GitHub integration looks cool, though.

• Patron

My development hardware is a laptop and Mac Mini:

• Ubuntu x64 laptop (for Android dev and as my primary machine for surfing)
    • Mac Mini (for OS X and iOS dev)
    • Windows 7 inside the Mac Mini bootcamp (for web dev and Windows dev)

The tool I use depends on the project (desktop/web/mobile). I have found each OS has its strengths. Ubuntu is best for Android (everything works great) and generic web browsing (essentially virus-proof). Windows is best for web dev. Mac is good for everything else.

Mac:

• Qt SDK, Xcode, Sublime Text 2, built-in Terminal, Virtual Box, Pixelmator, Git

Ubuntu:

• Qt SDK, Geany, Android Studio, Meld, built-in Terminal, Pinta, Git

Windows Bootcamp:

• Qt SDK, Inno Setup Studio, Notepad++, PuTTY, FileZilla, Paint.NET, Wamp, Cygwin, DiffMerge, Git Bash Shell

I have a web sever running my domains as well as my central Git repository. The web server is also has my issue tracking. I have yet to find an issue tracking tool I like. I recently switched to Flyspray ( http://bugtracker.dannagle.com/ ). I will see how long I stick with that.

• Patron

• Kaleidoscope

whenever I want to diff some code, it opens in a nice side by side GUI instead of the terminal.

• Github for Mac

I use this as mostly a support app (like Kaleidoscope) because I hate looking at diffs in the terminal.

Very interesting, thank you! Perhaps a silly question; when/why do you want to view diffs locally? Is it to look through what @richtaur has messed up after you pull in his changes from Github, instead of reviewing the changes in Github’s diff viewer online?

Also, this means you use Kaleidoscope and GfM for more or less the same thing, no? When would you choose one over the other?

• LDG

Perhaps a silly question; when/why do you want to view diffs locally?

@geoffb is constantly recommending me OS X software and Kaleidoscope is one of the few that I tried, purchased, and now use multiple times each day. IMO GitHub makes it easier to browse histories, but Kaleidoscope is great for viewing local diffs.

Whenever I make any changes (any!) I run a git difftool command and it shows me what’s changed. Same actual data as command-line git, but presented much nicer.

• LDG

Very interesting, thank you! Perhaps a silly question; when/why do you want to view diffs locally? Is it to look through what @richtaur has messed up after you pull in his changes from Github, instead of reviewing the changes in Github’s diff viewer online?

We don’t actually use GitHub for private repos. Our git repos are hosted out of Amazon EC2 on our own server because GitHub’s private repo pricing is crazy. For individuals, it starts at $7/month for 5 repos. For organizations, it starts at $25/month for 10 repos. We like to make lots of small repos for any little thing, so that’s prohibitive. It costs ~$15/month to run a micro instance in EC2 and we’re free to install all kinds of other cool services we need for development. We use gitolite for repo access control.

GitHub for Mac allows me to view the history of git repos that are locally cloned whether the remote origin is GitHub or not. I basically use this app to review repo changes at a high level in the absence of having access to GitHub’s nice web frontend.

Also, this means you use Kaleidoscope and GfM for more or less the same thing, no? When would you choose one over the other?

I use Kaleidoscope for diffing my local changes because it’s a much better diff utility. I use GitHub for Mac when I want to browse the recent history of commits without needing to scrutinize every single change.

• LDG

Something else that occurred to me today after reading about these new 4k monitors: I don’t use an external monitor or keyboard/mouse with my MacBook Pro, even at home.

In ages past, I was a big fan of big, multi-monitor setups (2 x 24") but these days I’m much more comfortable with just my laptop on a simple IKEA desk. I run most apps maximized and I find that it helps me focus on one task at a time.

• LDG

… now if only we could get you to focus on one game at a time! heyoooo

• Tiger Hat

FLAME!!!

Hang on, wait…

• LDG

Hang on, wait…

Right??

“Hey Kettle. This is Pot. You’re black.”

• LDG

I uploaded a little page showing my setup.

• Tiger Hat

Since this thread kinda turned into an everyone thread, I’ll chime in…

My laptop is a Leonovo Thinkpad Yoga (the touchscreen that flips back so it can be a tablet). At home I use a custom built (self) desktop gaming rig. Both run Windows 8.1 Pro.

I use Sublime Text for just about everything, except when doing Windows App development and then it’s Visual Studio. I usually use Paint.NET for all of my image editing needs.
    For source control it’s git whenever possible, tho I’m a consultant so sometimes the clients have svn still. For any private git repos I use bitbucket (free and pay based on collaborators instead of # of repos).

• @cheersphilip said:

FLAME!!!

Hang on, wait…

BOOM ROASTED!