Another Beta round for Kickstarters?

• Patron

Hello,

I was curious if the kickstarter backers will get a Beta update, or is next on the list for us the final version?

I was browsing through some of these comments and the changes look interesting.

• LDG

Hello! Kickstarter rewards below $25 only got the one beta update – early access buyers ($25+) will still get a few more updates before launch.

If you’ve only got the preorder and want to play the latest version, shoot us an email and we’ll connect you with the latest build. Cheers!

• Patron

@richtaur I had to go back and check. It looks like I was a Lava Blade + Crypt Run backer. I’m not sure I was even supposed to get a beta. Was the beta sent out to sub-$25 backers because the final version is taking longer than anticipated?

Unless you’d like more help beta testing (I have access to OS X Mavericks, Win 7, and Ubuntu x86/x64 machines that I use for my own desktop app development: http://PacketSender.com/ ), I don’t mind waiting. I didn’t pay to be in the early access club.

• LDG

Was the beta sent out to sub-$25 backers because the final version is taking longer than anticipated?

Exactly right!

Unless you’d like more help beta testing

Bet testers are always welcome! Offer’s on the table :)

• Patron

Thanks for the update, here are my comments after playing beta 7 for a couple hours.

-It would not run on Ubuntu x64. I posted that in a Linux comments thread.

-When shooting NW, I cannot travel W. I can travel E though. It seems my movement gets “sticky” somehow.

-In cemetary, I went looking for an exit when I picked up some extra gold. I wanted to go back to town to buy that axe. I then remembered that the dungeons are all-or-nothing. That still feels a bit extreme.

-Is there some way to know what the item is before buying it?

-How do I get to my stats screen? I thought it was ESC? Was that removed?

-How about some healing after killing a big boss?

-Some kind of warning that next room is big boss? Zelda made a sound if big boss was in next room. That’d be useful. I got killed because I stumbled upon him before finding other items.

-Can I know what the blueprint is before buying?

-Says “Cool Graphics Go Here” at the end of cemetary

-May I start back at town instead of Sewer when finishing cemetary? Once again, I’d like to spend some of that gold.

-After a for-real died, I went to the Arena. Game crashed during Arena. I went back and it ran fine. Sorry, I do not know what caused the crash.

-Where is the Hall of Graves statue for that mace-swinging, crown-wearing skeleton boss? I went to look and couldn’t find him.

-Why is “Deman” statue colored red when all my the others are not?

-There seems to be an extreme lack of food to help me heal while playing. I guess this game is just really difficult.

-I think rescuing a town person should give me a little more than $500. I still can’t afford to buy anything at all after dying.

Thanks,
    Dan

• LDG

-It would not run on Ubuntu x64. I posted that in a Linux comments thread.

Cool thanks we will take care of that.

-When shooting NW, I cannot travel W. I can travel E though. It seems my movement gets “sticky” somehow.

Interesting. I can’t duplicate any issues here. Could you provide more info? OS? Keyboard/gamepad?

-In cemetary, I went looking for an exit when I picked up some extra gold. I wanted to go back to town to buy that axe. I then remembered that the dungeons are all-or-nothing. That still feels a bit extreme.

It’s a roguelike design, which is brutal in nature. The idea is that your town is the progressive part of the game – nothing changes in the actual dungeon, you always start from the beginning. But your town gets better and better over time (along with your skill and knowledge of the game) and so the challenges get easier.

-Is there some way to know what the item is before buying it?

Not yet, but we hope to look into that eventually.

-How do I get to my stats screen? I thought it was ESC? Was that removed?

It was via the Enter key, but yeah sorry I had to move it to fix a bug. Right now it’s “M” for Map, tho it’ll probably be configurable someday.

-How about some healing after killing a big boss?

Definitely a reasonable request ;) Bosses in general need to be more rewarding.

-Some kind of warning that next room is big boss? Zelda made a sound if big boss was in next room. That’d be useful. I got killed because I stumbled upon him before finding other items.

Yeah we’re going to do “boss doors” (I want to make them fightable, like in Super Metroid, but we’ll see if there’s time) which will make it much more clear :D

-Can I know what the blueprint is before buying?

It’s the exact same code as the regular stores so once we add it there it’ll be here too.

-Says “Cool Graphics Go Here” at the end of cemetary

Yep, that’s a beta for ya ;) That’ll probably be one of the very last graphics I draw before we ship.

-May I start back at town instead of Sewer when finishing cemetary? Once again, I’d like to spend some of that gold.

This is part of the roguelike design again – there is no going back once you’re crawling the dungeon!

-After a for-real died, I went to the Arena. Game crashed during Arena. I went back and it ran fine. Sorry, I do not know what caused the crash.

Sorry yeah that was a bug related to the linear gradients created for the darkness overlays.

-Where is the Hall of Graves statue for that mace-swinging, crown-wearing skeleton boss? I went to look and couldn’t find him.
    -Why is “Deman” statue colored red when all my the others are not?

Beta! ;)

-There seems to be an extreme lack of food to help me heal while playing. I guess this game is just really difficult.

It is!

-I think rescuing a town person should give me a little more than $500. I still can’t afford to buy anything at all after dying.

Part of a roguelike design is iteration – we put a lot of effort into making AWL feel good to play over and over again. The idea is that you grow slowly over time. Once you’ve rescued 10 hostages, you’ll have $5000, which you can do a lot more with.

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully most of your issues with the design will be addressed when we finally finalize the intro/tutorial flow, which should explain what’s happening better.

• Patron

@richtaur

Interesting. I can’t duplicate any issues here. Could you provide more info? OS? Keyboard/gamepad?

I made a video of the bug. It is consistent.

http://dannagle.com/WizardLizardBeta7Bug.mov

It seems to only happen when shooting Northwest. I cannot move West. I am using a keyboard. I’m using OS X.

• LDG

I made a video of the bug

Wow that is really weird. I’m on a similar system and I see no issues. I’ll file a ticket but I won’t be able to fix it until I can duplicate the problem. Any ideas @geoffb?

• Patron

@richtaur Just a thought, could it be because I am using a Windows keyboard attached to my Mac?