GDC 2017 Passes On Sale

• Tiger Hat

Thought I’d throw this up on the forums. GDC passes are now posted.
    http://www.gdconf.com/attend/passes.html

GDC does the Indie Summit passes which are only (lol) $300 and are a good way to get in the door at GDC and hear some good talks. I’d recommend it. Here’s a post we wrote up about our experience in 2015, including costs, where the highlight was getting to meet @Lost-Decade-Games celebrity @richtaur.

Also, plane tickets appear deceptively cheap right now?

• LDG

blush

I’ve been 5-6 times now but never did the Indie Summit pass. That’s just one summit right, so the talks aren’t competing with other indie talks? Did you find that summit had good value for you?

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said in GDC 2017 Passes On Sale:

That’s just one summit right, so the talks aren’t competing with other indie talks? Did you find that summit had good value for you?

Yeah in the one time I went the talks were done by other indies entirely. Other talks were going on simultaneously w/ the other summit tracks that you can’t go to and there are probably some good indies doing those as well.

They list out all the indie only content here (this is 2016 content but gives you an idea…) and you can unfilter to see what you’d miss.
    http://schedule.gdconf.com/pass-type/independent-games-summit-pass

Did you find that summit had good value for you?

I think the conference as a whole did have value and this is the cheapest way to get there besides just the expo (which really doesn’t seem worth it to me). That said, I’d say you can get the good talks online right now for 2016 so it’s not worth paying for just the talks. The hotel and plane tickets are both way more expensive than the indie pass itself.

This one’s kind of not optional for us though. We are looking for funding and this is probably the best opportunity to meet and present with people.

• LDG

@lucasblucas said in GDC 2017 Passes On Sale:

This one’s kind of not optional for us though. We are looking for funding and this is probably the best opportunity to meet and present with people.

That’s interesting. Is it funding for your roguelike? Who will you be talking with?

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur Yeah it’s for our roguelike. It’s coming along well now that we’ve contracted a pixel artist. I met with a friend who said a typical publisher cut would be 70% of revenue after paying back the initial contribution they make to complete the game. That number was a bit of a reality check for me, so for now the goal is still “GDC demo for publishers” but we’re thinking a bit more about whether we’d take an arrangement like that.

• LDG

Cool. As a developer who is out of money but still wants to make first party games, I’m finding the publisher shackles more and more interesting. Also the whole 100% of nothing is nothing kind of thinking, because I have no damn idea how to drive significant traffic to a game.

Anyway good luck I’d be eager to hear more of what you’re willing to share.