Lostcast 193: Indietober

• LDG

• Tiger Hat

“Thunderclap?”…more like “Thunder-crap!” amirite? 😜 @richtaur sorry it didn’t work out for you, I was surprised that it didn’t tweet out the IGS tweet regardless. Not to get all tin foil hat about it but I wonder what sort of metrics or “metadata” they’re after with requiring at least 100 supporters.

In relation to scheduled tweets, there’s a coder turned comedian called Limmy who uses IFTTT to tweet “Check out Daft Punk’s new single “Get Lucky” if you get the chance. Sound of the summer.”.

Seriously, at 12:45pm or something every day for the last 2 years I think. He’s @DaftLimmy on Twitter.

Yes, we speak English in Ireland, but some small places are native Irish speaking where English would be a second language: Gaeltachts

I’m off to vote on Greenlight for IGS!

• LDG

@anthony said in Lostcast 193: Indietober:

“Thunderclap?”…more like “Thunder-crap!” amirite? 😜

Ahhh so good it should have been mine!

Seriously, at 12:45pm or something every day for the last 2 years I think. He’s @DaftLimmy on Twitter.

Perfect. That is what I need. Every day I will tweet “Nobody understands Thunderclap and it’s a waste of time.”

Yes, we speak English in Ireland, but some small places are native Irish speaking where English would be a second language: Gaeltachts

Interesting! Google Translate doesn’t even know WTF

I’m off to vote on Greenlight for IGS!

Thanks friend <3

• Good podcast, as usual.

For Soul Thief, Raga’s low health means I tend to play cautiously, further slowing down gameplay. I think one other listener on the forums said something similar about how he can get through the game if he plays cautiously. Since Raga’s melee attacks have a very short range, to kill an enemy you have to get close and risk getting hit. Low health = serious incentive to avoid getting hit at all.

If you focus on the projectile route, you could keep Raga’s health low-ish and maybe offer power ups that provide shields or other temporary defenses, more like a SHMUP or twin-stick shooter. You’ll probably want to speed Raga up a bit, though.

If you want to stick with close combat as an option, then I would increase Raga’s health and give him more types of melee attacks so he can do combos, chain attacks, something to make the melee combat less monotonous and incentivize the player to rush in and attack rather than playing cautiously and slowly.

As for worrying about perception of the game’s development process, I hate to say it but as Geoff noted, I think the game’s relative obscurity works in its favor for now. If you guys make significant changes to the game, I think it can only help.

Anyway, interested in the direction you intend to take Soul Thief going forward.

• Patron

It took me a few minutes to understand Thunderclap. Finally, I saw it and thought… “Really? All that just to send a tweet?” There is no way I am authorizing this random service for such a minor task.

Next time, just simply ask everybody to log in to Tweetdeck (now owned by Twitter) or whatever their preferred scheduler service to send a timed tweet. Sure, you may not get as many metrics, but you know you’ll at least get some tweets.

• Tiger Hat

@dannagle said in Lostcast 193: Indietober:

Next time, just simply ask everybody to log in to Tweetdeck (now owned by Twitter) or whatever their preferred scheduler service to send a timed tweet. Sure, you may not get as many metrics, but you know you’ll at least get some tweets.

My time in SEO makes me wonder about the strength of a ‘Thunderclap’ - particularly on Twitter - it’s a highly volatile medium, and sending out 100 tweets at the same time means that the other half of the world will miss all of them.

I’d almost suggest taking the list of users and distributing tweets across their accounts over a period of time (1 day? 1 week?) it’s already collecting subscription rates, so you could do this based on how many users would see each tweet.

• Tiger Hat

You know, I think the reason why Thunderclap feels so janky is because it’s sort of doing something that Twitter should probably already have. It seems like there should be a way to schedule tweets - that way, instead of telling everybody to sign up for Thunderclap, blablabla, you can just tell them “Hey, it’d be great if you can schedule a tweet for 6AM on 10/4” or whatever.

• Patron

@fallse7en Twitter does have that. It is called Tweetdeck: https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/ You can use it to schedule tweets.

• Tiger Hat

@dannagle Oh sweet! I never realized that was actually part of Twitter - I thought it was just another thing like Thunderclap that was bolted onto it.

• Tiger Hat

@fallse7en it is - it just happens to be a bolted on thing that Twitter now owns.

• Hey guys, just finished listening to all eps. until this one. Now it’s like waiting a whole year for the next Game of Thrones season, just that it’s only a week ;)

I just wanted to share my thoughts on Soul Thief:

• Tail whip: as I see it, it puts Raga in danger, making it preempted by possessing enemies with projectiles. Link’s sword, on the other hand, actually protects his front side, like a shield, when it swings. So in this regard, my suggestion would be to turn the tail whip into something that, beyond attacking would also protect Raga - maybe it would deflect enemies’ projectiles, or maybe it could project Raga’s tail in front of him (like Link’s sword).
    • Sensation of loneliness: when I play Soul Thief I have a sensation that Raga is alone in the world and that isn’t a feeling I would like to have. That is something I like (and it makes sense) in Metroid games. In AWL 1, even though the interaction with the villagers wasn’t very deep, I believe I didn’t feel this way because we always started from a place full of people and that had a more pleasant feeling.

[]'s

• Jammer

Good episode, rather enjoyed it. Here’s my thoughts as well:

• Scheduled tweets: One half way to do it is set reminders on your computer/phone to do it. Set it for a time of day you prefer to do that stuff. Store the content in a textfile, or nvAlt or something simple. Unfortunately manual, but it will keep you consistent.
    • Melee combat. Might be able to make it more effective and longer range by having creatures use weapons of some kind. Think about how long sephiroph’s sword is from FF7, but he’s still melee. Raga has the most health. Him going range might make him the only thing worth using again. I like fegemo’s point about the tail being more directional, and as a bit of a shield too.
    • I like wands :(. One thing to think about with removing them is the value of gold/shops. Though I do like the idea of monsters having more interesting abilities like wands that you can possess as well. The theming is important of course, wands coming from the wizard label originally. But in terms of focusing on ranged, wands are ranged themselves too.