Beyond the Pale

• Re: Lostcast 192: Politicast
    @richtaur I agree with Anthony, hot Whiskey all the way, though add cloves into the recipe. Healthy game industry over here in Ireland no need to sound for you guys to sound so surprised :) Oddly enough the expression beyond the pale is strongly linked to Ireland. The area around Dublin and the surrounding counties was a stronghold of the British when we were under their rule back in late Medieval times . The activities of the rebels were back then quite literally referred to as “beyond the pale”. Many people still refer to this part of Ireland as “The Pale”.

It’s a pity you guys are thinking about pulling the plug on Soul Thief. Whatever your decision I would advise considering Unity again (I remember @geoffb talking about C# did you guys ever try Unity with JS?), at least 3rd party help or support would be easier. Even enlisting help of younger developers looking for work experience would be an option. Working for free on a private game engine in Djinn (no matter how good it is) wouldn’t be as appealing for someone looking to gain experience. If not I think open sourcing Djinn would be the other option, though this could lead to more work, I imagine it definitely would in the short-term at least. However both of the above could mean a bigger community from a technology point of view which having listened to your podcast for a couple of years is something I believe you need.

I really enjoy the podcast, and would love to see you guys have more success following on from AWL1. I added my Thunderclap to Indie Sim, hope it goes well.

• LDG

@Tiger9Stein said in Beyond the Pale:

Re: Lostcast 192: Politicast
    Healthy game industry over here in Ireland no need to sound for you guys to sound so surprised :) Oddly enough the expression beyond the pale is strongly linked to Ireland. The area around Dublin

Hah that is very coincidental! As I type this I’m coughing from the … IRELAND GAME DEV PLAGUE!!! it was meant to b

It’s a pity you guys are thinking about pulling the plug on Soul Thief. Whatever your decision I would advise considering Unity again (I remember @geoffb talking about C# did you guys ever try Unity with JS?), at least 3rd party help or support would be easier. … Even enlisting help of younger developers looking for work experience would be an option.

I can say for sure that switching back to Unity would do this project no favors ;) Unity is great but the game we have is good enough in most ways, very far along, and just needs to be finished.

Regarding opening it up for collaboration, WarSpawn brought this up in the episode thread, so great minds must think alike! Agreed that it would end up costing more time in the short-term, but it could help the project reach the finish line, help it really needs. I’m seriously considering this and I imagine Geoff will not care either way ;)

I really enjoy the podcast, and would love to see you guys have more success following on from AWL1. I added my Thunderclap to Indie Sim, hope it goes well.

That means a lot, thank you. Recently I have to constantly remind myself that we have supporters like you. This is a very lonely gig, and knowing you have my back helps push me forward <3

• Tiger Hat

@Tiger9Stein said in Beyond the Pale:

did you guys ever try Unity with JS?

I wouldn’t recommend it - it’s only kind of javascript, you certainly can’t drop your JS project into Unity and have anything meaningful happen.

It also only has a subset of features available to c# (or indeed the deprecated Boo) so with any significantly complicated project you’re going to run into those limitations, and have to shift to c# anyhow.

Finally, it’s the most native fit - Unity is very tied to Mono/.NET C# is a native fit here, the JS (or UnityScript) and Python (or Boo) implementations feel clumsy - especially if you’re fluent in the base language.