Indie Game Sim v0.3.0

• LDG

Hey there! Indie Game Sim lets you design your own games for fame and fortune. I’ve been tinkering on it for a few months now, and it’s at that stage where I really need feedback. So please download it, play it, and then take this survey. Thanks!

IGS

(Download and Survey Links Removed)

Note: I’ll leave the downloads and survey active for about a week.

• Patron

Oh wow! Fancy new forum category too!

That’s how you know it is serious.

• LDG

Quickest hack ever! Thanks for playing, Billy.

• Patron

GUYS

@Affordable_Desk IS FUCKING ALIVE!

• Tiger Hat

This was a fun little game! I’m interested to see where it could go. I think it would be cool if the game editor allowed for games of different genres, though I don’t know if that is feasible. Love the music and style though!

• Patron

Preeeety sure the music is just placeholder, but… xD

• LDG

Survey over. Thanks for playing.

• Played more of Indie Game Sim tonight. I’m on the latest version (Windows 64-bit, version 5.1). Overall pretty fun.

I did find one actual bug and one “level design error.” In the game pewpewpew in the store, the price comes up as null. In the level itself, the second cannon near the bottom right seems to be facing the wrong direction. I think the idea is for the cannon to fire a bullet that you jump on to cross the gap, but the cannon is pointing toward the wall and therefore can’t fire a bullet in the correct direction.

Beyond the bug, there are a few menus where it took me longer than it should have taken to navigate. First, when exiting the game, you have to hold down ESC. I’d rather have a simple “quit” button or text somewhere on the title page. Otherwise exiting the game might frustrate people who are looking for a visual cue to exit the game.

Next, I’m thinking there should be some kind of link/text in the editor, specifically where it shows your list of games, that takes you directly to the Vault and to your developer account page. Right now there’s an extra step to get there since you have to go back to the main menu, click on the Vault icon, and then go to your developer account before being able to publish the game you were just working on.

Anyway, overall, I like the variety of objects such as the torch/lighting, the warp portals, the gravity changing ball., and the way enemies have game functions (you can bounce off them) beyond simply being obstacles.

• LDG

@Ceric said in Indie Game Sim v0.3.0:

I did find one actual bug and one “level design error.” In the game pewpewpew in the store, the price comes up as null

Fixed.

the second cannon near the bottom right seems to be facing the wrong direction

If you move to the right, it faces your direction immediately and makes that jump doable. Intentional! Probably just bad, I guess.

Beyond the bug, there are a few menus where it took me longer than it should have taken to navigate

Sounds like it needs some oil!

Anyway, overall, I like the variety of objects such as the torch/lighting, the warp portals, the gravity changing ball., and the way enemies have game functions (you can bounce off them) beyond simply being obstacles.

That was a great compliment sandwich, thanks! I fixed the bugs and I’ll lube up some parts.

• @richtaur Huh, weird with the cannon. I’ll try that again. I did try jumping over the gap to the right and didn’t notice the cannon moving, but I probably just missed it.

And yes, “compliment sandwich” intended. :)

Only hearing “this is broken” and “what’s up with this level design?” or other complaints I’m sure, while useful, gets old after a while.

• Oh, one more item. It seems like the game should indicate (maybe I missed it?) that you can get new tiles for the Editor by beating games that you buy in the store. I figured out that was the case but it wasn’t apparent from the UI as far as I was aware.

• LDG

Only hearing “this is broken” and “what’s up with this level design?” or other complaints I’m sure, while useful, gets old after a while.

You are a gentleman and a scholar :)

Oh, one more item. It seems like the game should indicate (maybe I missed it?) that you can get new tiles for the Editor by beating games that you buy in the store.

This is not a game that explicitly tells you things; instead it gives visual cues about what you could explore. Your feedback is valid, and tells me that the game doesn’t do this well enough. Here are two signals the game gives you about playing games and unlocking stuff:

1. NEW! (what does that mean? who knows but it’s NEW)

NEW!

and if you manage to be intrigued by this amazing NEW! text, and beat the game, you get the following message:

1. Now in store (low-fi requires brevity!)

Now in store

It sounds like the game lost you at the NEW! stage, correct? So you weren’t compelled to click into the Vault, and past that, to click into games and play them. Any ideas on what would have caught your eye, or compelled you further?

• @richtaur Yeah, I assumed your design choice was intentional (based on the overall design) but wasn’t sure how far you wanted to go to indicate new, “unlocked” content to players. For the most part the game does a pretty good job of leading the player to the next thing they are supposed to do without presenting a full-on tutorial.

Part of the issue in the UI is that the game that you just published to the store starts out listed as “new,” which can be an issue if a new player isn’t looking carefully at the list. They may just leave the menu and go back to the editor to make more money.

As for how to indicate new content without saying “click here,” maybe changing the color of the new game text would help. Another idea is to change games that you have published to have “Published” next to the title, thereby indicating it’s the game you made, and for games you haven’t made, put “New” when they show up in the store.

Like I said, I figured out how the system worked when I just randomly tried one of the games in the store, but I didn’t immediately play one of the games in the store when the first one appeared. I’d see if you can get someone else you know who hasn’t played the game at all to check it out. Maybe there’s some kind of Meetup group up in LA for game dev. Oh, actually, the Gamekedo guy (Chris DeLeon) is based in the LA area. He has a group that gets together and they have talks from game developers. Maybe if you got in touch you could talk about indie game dev as a career and then get free playtesting? You lamented the difficulty in getting people to playtest your game, so that could be a way to get some in-person, stand over someone’s shoulder as they play playtesting time in.

• I playtested version 0.7 that you just sent out. Good game so far, interesting choice on having more interesting gameplay elements/tiles cost money when you place them. I like the change so far.

Regarding bugs, I did find one. When I played the game Big Bad by AD, after dying and the game exiting back to the Vault menu where you can choose to play the game, the mouse cursor disappeared. It remained gone until I got all the way back out to the “desktop” menu and then reappeared. I was able to successfully reproduce this one, too. I played the game again, died, the mouse cursor disappeared, etc.

This didn’t happen when I played the first couple of new games (the Bounce game and the game where you get the cloud platform) available in the Vault, though.

That’s it so far, though. I’ll let you know if I come across anything else.

• LDG

Yeah I reworked the mouse to be universal instead of tied to individual scenes. Fixed! Thanks for playing and finding that.