Lostcast 187: Crowcast

• LDG

• Enjoyed the cast as always, gentleman. Have a couple comments you might find useful:

One, take a look at the Skate series put out by EA Black Box for inspiration about how to score using your “joy” metric. In those games, which involve skateboarding around an open world filming lines of tricks, you’re given a score for each trick you do. When you perform your first trick, a meter fills up and immediately begins to deplete. The more times you perform the same trick, the fewer and fewer points it’s worth and the meter continues to drain. But as you perform different tricks, your meter stays full and the total of all the tricks is multiplied by 1.5. The longer you go performing different tricks without crashing or waiting too long between tricks, the higher your multiplier climbs. The game, then, is able to reward you based on both the variety of tricks you perform as well as your ability to string multiple tricks together without bailing. It’s a genius system that makes a lot of sense when trying to put a point value on something as subjective as performing a trick. Could be a useful approach for your game, Matt.

Second, Watchmen. I’m hardly a fan-boy on this one, but I thought I should clarify why the original graphic novel ending makes sense and the movie’s ending does not. The story is set during the Cold War and the US and Russia are both pointing nukes at one another in an effort to make the other flinch. Ozymandias’ plan is to provide a common eney for them both so they may band together and stop trying to kill each other. In the book, this comes in the form of a giant squid meant to appear as though it’s a space alien; something that both sides can agree is horrible and must be destroyed. In the movie, Dr. Manhattan is used in place of the squid. But Dr. Manhattan is an American and has been used as a weapon of war. Having Manhattan as the common enemy doesn’t work since the Russians would remember immediately that he’s an American invention. It doesn’t seem likely that this would do much to end the Cold War.

• Tiger Hat

This is essentially what The Magic Circle does as well - it reduces the cheese of exploiting loops of joy, instead, however, you can stack content, so long as you can traverse the level without dropping out, you can stack points to the end of the level. This is less a problem when you have a static map because it can be designed with this in mind. Letting the player build the map means they can adjust accordingly.

As one of the people who think Raga is a really strong brand - if anything I’d say it wasn’t pushed hard enough - I fully expect a playable Raga in IGS - and would love seeing cameos in other studio’s games.

• LDG

@huntermacd said in Lostcast 187: Crowcast:

One, take a look at the Skate series put out by EA Black Box for inspiration about how to score using your “joy” metric.

Welcome! Thanks for joining. That sounds like a great solution, and would fit well with the systems I’ve got. Great polish opportunities there too. Good stuff I will likely prototype this :D

Second, Watchmen.

hehe I was thinking that a comic book fan would find holes in our discuss ion ;) TIger Hat on! Good point about Manhattan being American, now that you mention it I do remember that bit, the movie made it feel like “whoa America has insane weaponry” but the ending was essentially the same as the squid monster ending, so it didn’t resonate.

• LDG

@salmonmoose said in Lostcast 187: Crowcast:

This is essentially what The Magic Circle does as well

I really should play that huh!

As one of the people who think Raga is a really strong brand - if anything I’d say it wasn’t pushed hard enough - I fully expect a playable Raga in IGS - and would love seeing cameos in other studio’s games.

Awesome thanks! I really like Raga too. Absolutely will be a Raga in IGS. I’ve also included the first video game character I ever made, coincidentally (!) also a lizard, this one a schoolboy named Benzer. Weird yeah!

Definitely want to get other devs’ characters in here. I also want them to design a little game to go along with them, if they’re up for it. Know anybody with prominent side-scrolling platformer games that would be interested?! ;)

• Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) was my first RPG, too. That game got me into playing console RPGs. Before that I’d seen some older PC games, such as the Dungeons & Dragons “gold box” games in stores but they looked boring. Not saying they are, but when I was 7 or 8 years old they just had lots of text and numbers. Now, of course, I play roguelike games like Caves of Qud, which barely have graphics and are mainly text and numbers. :)

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said in Lostcast 187: Crowcast:

Definitely want to get other devs’ characters in here. I also want them to design a little game to go along with them, if they’re up for it. Know anybody with prominent side-scrolling platformer games that would be interested?! ;)

Urm, not really - you guys are still my link with the “real world” of indie games :P and I’m not sure anything out of Poker Kingdoms would read well at such low resolution, nor, would anyone actually recognise it :)

• Hi Guys, I really need to say something about Soulthief.

Ship It!

I think you guys are drawing your conclusions to early (I already said that before), you are self deprecating your game before it had a chance to shine. I think your mechanical changes are great, it helps you stand out from the crowd. That the game is a sequel is well hidden on steam, which means you should not suffer from people not getting into the game because it is a sequel.
    Another thing about Soulthief

Ship It!

I hope that i can get you guys to spend more time on Soulthief with this post, it would be a bad decision overall (I know you never said that you stop working on it, but listening to your podcast its very clear where you put your time right now)

First of all its a bad business decision, because of all the time spend already.

Next it would be bad because it would always drag you down mentally.

People would get furious…

Once again i know you probably are not planning on quitting to work on soulthief, but I think you should only push Indie Dev Sim 1/5 off your time. You will run into the same problem with Indie Dev Sim, it will get a drag, it will be painful. But as you are always saying there’s just one thing to keep in mind.

Ship It!

I love your work (both podcast and games) please continue ;)

Regards PartTimeIndie

• LDG

Hey @PartTimeIndie thanks for the encouragement. I definitely have every intention of finishing Soul Thief, in fact Indie Game Sim has been helping with that. It’s been a struggle, especially with having to pick up contracts and stuff, but I do feel that eventually it can be a pretty solid game. I think it’s mostly just that the road to get there has been more difficult than planned.

onward and upwards etc.!