Lostcast 186: Indie Game Cast

• LDG

• Tiger Hat

Love getting to play with Indie Game Sim - I’d like to suggest you put it up on Itch.io there’s a little overhead, but it’s fairly straight forwards, and they’re kitted out for exactly this sort of project :)

On a more personal note - the resolution feels a little low, particularly on my 27" monitors, and 50" TV.

Love the flood of entities - have you considered going a step further and exposing the functionality so people can add their own entities?

Also, and perhaps completely unshockingly, my concept for “Zombie Chicken Apocalypse” has LOTS of chickens.

• @richtaur If Geoff is looking to mitigate some of the pain associated with Game Maker’s UI, there are a few tools out there. For the Room Editor (the built-in map editor), there are a few applications out there that work with Game Maker’s level file format but have much better UIs.

GMare is one example: https://gmare.codeplex.com/

It’s free and open-source.

The Tiled map editor can also work with GM using this: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=539494

For better scripting in Game Maker, there’s a plugin called Parakeet 2: https://parakeet-ide.org/

For tutorials, Tom Francis (he made Gunpoint) did an entire tutorial series that features some basic procedural generation in GM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN6dZWXUEzA&list=PLUtKzyIe0aB2HjpmBhnsHpK7ig0z7ohWw

Anyway, just a few things to make developing in GM a bit easier.

• Tiger Hat

FWIW - I went to the Unity Roadshow, and they gave us an insider beta of 5.5, the tiled editor is really solid - although, like most of Unity, works in it’s own Unity like way :)

• Jammer

To be a jerk, I have to correct Geoff :D. In OpenGL, bottom left is not 0,0, it’s -1,-1. 0,0 is the center of the screen. But yeah Y is opposite direction, so positive Y goes up the screen, negative goes down. He’s quite right on that point. Just important to note where 0,0 truly is. You can obviously use matrices to build your own coordinate system to make 0,0 bottom left or even top left.

• LDG

@salmonmoose said in Lostcast 186: Indie Game Cast:

Love getting to play with Indie Game Sim - I’d like to suggest you put it up on Itch.io there’s a little overhead, but it’s fairly straight forwards, and they’re kitted out for exactly this sort of project :)

Yay great to hear! Humble has been good to us so I’ll probably stick with them. Not sure when I’ll start doing a proper landing page with builds etc… Part of me only wants to do that stuff when it’s ready to sell. But another part of me thinks maybe it should get out the door …

On a more personal note - the resolution feels a little low, particularly on my 27" monitors, and 50" TV.

It does to me sometimes, too, but I’m determined to stick with it. I need limitations to finish things.

Love the flood of entities - have you considered going a step further and exposing the functionality so people can add their own entities?

Yup, it’s on the list! Might be something that helps it stand out from Mario Maker etc. but as you can imagine that’s a huge can of worms so I’m putting it off until the rest of the game feels better. The back of my mind is saying, “Save it for the sequel.”

Also, and perhaps completely unshockingly, my concept for “Zombie Chicken Apocalypse” has LOTS of chickens.

Chickenz

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said in Lostcast 186: Indie Game Cast:

Yay great to hear! Humble has been good to us so I’ll probably stick with them. Not sure when I’ll start doing a proper landing page with builds etc… Part of me only wants to do that stuff when it’s ready to sell. But another part of me thinks maybe it should get out the door …

Sure, I was thinking more for the “Early Access” part of the game - refinery might give you some tools to help with seeing the response of patreon downloads etc. As far as I’m aware, Humble is more centred around actual sales. It’d be nice to be able to have a history of your builds etc. I see Itch as a prototype platform - finished concepts go on Steam (and Humble) but before Early Access is where Itch really shines - refinery also has tools to have limited early access stuff (so, once you’re ready for a few more than Patreon, you can open up there) the sites are fairly complementary.

It does to me sometimes, too, but I’m determined to stick with it. I need limitations to finish things.

Yeah - I get that - I’ll bug you for a build for the Pocket CHIP when mine finally shows up. Perhaps you could wrap the game in a fancy upscaler.

Yup, it’s on the list! Might be something that helps it stand out from Mario Maker etc. but as you can imagine that’s a huge can of worms so I’m putting it off until the rest of the game feels better. The back of my mind is saying, “Save it for the sequel.” “Save it for Steam Workshop”

FTFY

Chickenz

Love it. There’s a hint of Braid there - which is honestly no small praise.

• Tiger Hat

Also, how do you capture your gifs? No one seems to be able to answer this question for me in a reliable fashion :)

• Patron

@salmonmoose This is a common screen capture tool: https://obsproject.com/ Mac has a built-in screen capture utility using Quicktime. If you just the want the browser, Chrome has some plugins. Never tried them.

• LDG

@salmonmoose said in Lostcast 186: Indie Game Cast:

Sure, I was thinking more for the “Early Access” part of the game - refinery might give you some tools to help with seeing the response of patreon downloads etc

Gotcha. Cool that does sound slicker than Dropbox uploads …

Yeah - I get that - I’ll bug you for a build for the Pocket CHIP when mine finally shows up. Perhaps you could wrap the game in a fancy upscaler.

That would be cool! Right now I can easily change it to whatever image-rendering values are supported in nwjs (not a lot of sexy options in there right now).

Also,
    ^ The above GIF was made with Screen To Gif.