Introduce yo'self

• Tiger Hat

Hi!

My name is Justin, and I’m a 27 year old software engineer from the PNW. Been listening to Lostcast daily for a about month now and am now finally deciding to check out the forum you guys are always going on about :P. Also bought A Wizard’s Lizard during the Steam Spooky Sale so I’m looking forward to trying that out soon as well!

Anyways, a little more about me…

Been programming for five years or so now, and am slowly easing into game development as a hobby (that’s how I stumbled upon Lostcast!). I’ve been on/off (mostly off :/) developing an action RPG set in space for the past year or two.

Not programming related: I lift weights, ride motorcycles (although I’ve mostly been wrenching on it recently), and of course play video games (Rogue Legacy and BoI recently).

ANYWAYS. Thanks for the great podcast, and I’m always looking forward to the next one!

• LDG

Welcome @fallse7en! Interesting that you lift weights – if you’ve got that kind of discipline and dedication, you’re probably a great fit for game dev. New ep coming today :)

• Hi! My name is James, I am a UI/UX designer by day, and by night I develop HTML5 Games, needless to say i am a huge fan of the Lost Cast, it is my fav podcast and I always light up when it shows up in my feed.

I live in Suzhou China and for my HTML5 games I work with WebGl, BabylonJS and Electron!

Matt & Geoff<3 you guys and keep up the great work!

(ps, out of all the podcasts I listen you are the only ones I felt obliged to reach out too and say HI!)

• LDG

@jamessimo said:

Hi! My name is James

Hi James, welcome to this smart, attractive community! Really appreciate the kind words – we’ll use them to motivate a great cast tomorrow!

Sounds like you’re into a lot of cool stuff. Feel free to post your games here so we can check 'em out :)

• hey peeps! my name’s Chris, and i’m so glad i’ve finally joined this smart, attractive community.

i do loc/QA/design-y stuff in shanghai, by day. i’m a designer/co-founder of finer games, by night, but i’ll be doing that by day, next month :) in the past i co-founded moglue, in seoul. i wear ALL T3H HATZ.

i stumbled upon lostcast a couple of months ago when searching for gamedev podcasts, and have nearly made it through the entire backlog. i’ve drawn a lot of parallels with Matt’s adventure into the world of art – like CtrlPaint – and really enjoy the art tips! apparently i make bad use of puns, too – of this, i’m quite ashamed. i wish one of these days, you’d have the bandwidth/energy to do more youtube videos. time-lapses are nice, but seeing all of the rough edges/missteps in the creative process, can be a great learning opportunity for others, and gives them the courage to fail.

thank you guys so, SO much – you do a lot for the community. i can’t wait for AWL2, so i can support y’all a bit more.

• LDG

@rilez said:

hey peeps! my name’s Chris, and i’m so glad i’ve finally joined this smart, attractive community.

Welcome to the forum!

i do loc/QA/design-y stuff in shanghai, by day. i’m a designer/co-founder of finer games, by night, but i’ll be doing that by day, next month :) in the past i co-founded moglue, in seoul. i wear ALL T3H HATZ.

Hey that’s awesome, congrats! I’m always interested in the transition to fulltime indie – care to share more info about your situation? Either way I’m both nervous and excited for you ;)

i wish one of these days, you’d have the bandwidth/energy to do more youtube videos. time-lapses are nice, but seeing all of the rough edges/missteps in the creative process, can be a great learning opportunity for others, and gives them the courage to fail.

Yeah the timelapses are a little soulless. For monthssss now we’ve been wanting to get more into YouTube in general, but yeah it’s a bandwidth thing. Especially racing for this live demo next month, AWL2 is about all we’ve been doing (also: lots of de-stress gaming).

thank you guys so, SO much – you do a lot for the community. i can’t wait for AWL2, so i can support y’all a bit more.

Really appreciate the kindess!! Hope to see you around the forum :)

• Hello my name is Martin, im 19 years old from sweden.

i mostly lurk here for the what are you listening to and something you just did threads.

Im a big fan of a lot of music especially jazz, funk and music from videogames and
    one of my biggest dreams is to be able to be able to compose music i like and maybe play in bands.
    Im self thought in piano and music theory due to not being able to take lessons, but
    so far its going pretty alright, although It can get kinda tricky to know what kind of knowledge to look for that is useful.

Some stuff i have done are a transcription from a game and i also recently made a composition of my own.

you can check them here:
    Transcription
    Composition

I also like to jog, exercise and travel and sometimes play games but i havent done it in a while since ive lost a bit of interest and
    havent found so many good games to play recently.

im a bit interested in painting aswell but havent really started doing it yet.

• well, our story is nothing special, really :P i was inspired by the success of FTL – which was made in shanghai – then, some friends and i started dabbling in unity a couple of years ago, and… here we are.

we’re doing mobile games – i don’t play many, and neither do most of my peers. i think it’s bizarre that so many people working in mobile games don’t care for their own products – it limits empathy, which stunts your design. i feel that a lot of the problems associated with mobile games are due to this, and have little to do with the platform itself.

so… we’re trying to make games like those we do enjoy playing – that were also successful – like super stickman golf 2. cheers!

• LDG

@martinar96 said:

Im a big fan of a lot of music especially jazz, funk and music from videogames
    and sometimes play games but i havent done it in a while since ive lost a bit of interest and
    havent found so many good games to play recently.
    im a bit interested in painting aswell but havent really started doing it yet.

We sound alike! Someday I hope to get back into music, but in the short term art is floating my boat much more. Sometimes I feel that people like us who are into so many different things, we have a hard time focusing. There are only so many hours in the day, so which passion will we double down on? The fewer disciplines we study the better we’ll be at those. It’s tough.

• LDG

@rilez said:

FTL – which was made in shanghai – then, some friends and i started dabbling in unity a couple of years ago, and… here we are.

Feels like there are (were?) market gaps – FTL but medieval fantasy? FTL but … IDK, sports-themed?

we’re doing mobile games – i don’t play many, and neither do most of my peers. i think it’s bizarre that so many people working in mobile games don’t care for their own products

Totally agree there. Many developers make products they themselves aren’t that jazzed about. The way creativity usually works, that seems like a good way to make mediocre products, or at least just stuff that doesn’t feel like it was made with love. Sometimes, players can tell!

Great to meetcha guys, thanks for posting :)

• Jammer

So… um… hi. I’m Variable Why. I’m pretty shy and reserved, until I get excited. Then I don’t shut up.

Yeah… I’m pretty awkward too.

@Elite pointed me to these forums, and he’s a very good friend of mine too, so I’ll probably talk to him a bunch, maybe? Friends do that, right?

Oh, and you probably already know, but I draw things. So that’s a thing. I do requests for practice, but wouldn’t mind taking a few commissions! (When I’m not doing homework. T_T)

So… yeah. Nice to meet you lot!

• LDG

Welcome! Most of us here are relatively shy too, introvert types. But we are friendly and we like art so hopefully you’ll feel at home here :)

• Jammer

Thanks a lot, @richtaur! I already do! ^^

• @richtaur said:

Sounds like you’re into a lot of cool stuff. Feel free to post your games here so we can check 'em out :)

Well if you insist :D

• LDG

Nice!! Congrats on finishing it. Some fun questions in there for you :)

• Hello I am Buns. Elite’s NEW BEST FRIEND.

• LDG

Elite’s friends are our friends. Welcome!

• My name is Jay and I live in Alaska. I started programming games back during the first disco era, then switched (for too long) to web development (back-end stuff using Coldfusion and SQL Server). Finally, about 5 years ago I decided to switch back to game dev and have ended up making my living teaching that (MasteringCoronaSDK.com and MasteringUnity2D.com).

I thought it would be fun to teach game dev at a college so decided to get a degree – at the age of 51 I went to college for the first time. Now 2 years later I’ll have my AA at the end of summer and have decided to drop out.

Why?

Because I didn’t understand how the whole university system worked – most teachers are adjuncts who have day jobs, and adjuncts are getting more and more prevalent. The plan of getting a “real” job teaching game dev at a college is pretty much dead. So I’ll probably stick to teaching game dev online…

I like juggling and reading (not at the same time). My dream is to live on a sailboat and make games.

Jay

• LDG

Hey welcome! Tooling is cool, makes creating games easier and people love you for making good tools. We’ve thought about going more in that direction …

@OutlawGameTools said:

My dream is to live on a sailboat and make games.

Sounds spectacular!