Introduce yo'self

• LDG

I’LL START:

I’m Matt, I work at Lost Decade Games fulltime doing mostly game design, scripting, and game art. I used to be a web developer for companies like Yahoo! and Raptr. I still adore the web but I’m bored with developing for it, and now I want to focus on the billions of game ideas I have. Married to a user researcher geek at Disney, used to be a foosball champion. Love the beach but terrified of sharks!

NOW YOUR TURN:

• Patron

(should I fully introduce myself, or just give a brief introduction?)

• LDG

Whichever floats your boat!

• Patron

####Things I’m:

Christian (Seventh-day Adventist)
    Gamer
    Musician (?)
    Flutist
    Programmer(?)
    "Biggest LDG fan, in regards to comments"
    7th Grader
    Brazilian
    Super Cave Story fan
    Super Bastion fan
    Super Super meat boy fan
    Super Jamestown fan
    Super Spelunky fan
    Super C418 fan
    Super DannyB fan
    Super Joshua Morse fan
    Super Eirik Suhrke fan
    Super Daisuke Amaya fan
    Nerd

####Things I do:

Games (? (I make games, I just don’t finish them))
    Study, study, study
    Play video games, Play video games, Play video games
    Compose, compose, compose
    Program, program, program
    Throw out game projects, throw out game projects, throw out game projects
    Talk about video games
    Sleep at least 7 hours per night
    Love indie games
    Burn hours and hours watching video game videos on YT
    Listen to Lostcast, Vgmpire and InfiniteAmmo podcast

####Things I would like to be:

Closer to God
    A good composer
    A good programmer
    Full time indie
    At least a decent artist
    Smarter :P

• Tiger Hat

• I’m T2, and I’m 17 years old. I study media and communication at school, and I love it! I really like anything that’s to do with media, such as interviewing people, doing graphic design works, finding new creative ideas, making commercials etc.
    • I live in Norway (well, that’s obvious), and love travelling/languages. Haven’t been outside Europe, but really want to sometime in the future. In languages, I know Norwegian, English, and some Spanish.
    • On my spare time, I often make videos about video games/randomness/timelapses/nature. One of my favourite things by making videos, is uploading them to YouTube and getting feedback. I’ve had a YouTube channel since 2009, and I’ve met many internet friends since! This autumn I met four of my internet friends, one of them being from London!

General interests:

• Video games: Really love Nintendo games/systems. Big fan of Sonic the Hedgehog. And of course the games of LDG, hehe.
    • Music: Funk, soul, chiptune, Joshua Morse!!!
    • Fun fact: I know 0% about coding and programming, so I don’t really know why I am here… But I like your games, so heeey, that’s something!

List of some of my videos on YouTube:
    Tryezz - Music video
    SpillExpo - gaming convention
    Tilt-Shift video
    Randomness video
    Time lapse video

• Tiger Hat

My name is Philip.

I’m 35 yo, but quite new to coding. I work as a web dev for my local council in rural north Norfolk, UK, where I enjoy working on my JS/JQ/ASP/SQL skeeels.

If I had any spare time i would be using it to make something of all the game ideas going round in my head, but as I am lucky enough to have a wife and little baby boy the concept of ‘spare’ time is pretty redundant for me right now!

That said, I made it to an indie game dev meetup recently and usually manage to find some minutes to join in here at LDG, as I’m enjoying being part of the development of someone else’s game.

• My name’s David. Been a fan of LDG for a while.

I’m a 31 year old developer who’s migrated from embedded systems, to desktop apps, to full-stack web, and finally to my current work (and favorite so far) as a primarily javascript engineer.

Like most who become developers, I got into it because I wanted to make games. Hell, I really started trying to get a deeper understanding of javascript by making dumb little game clones like the familiar Snake, the similar Worm, and Make a Set, a “Set” card game clone.

In recent times, I’ve had my old “childish” love reignited (primarily by getting into more indie games and listening to Lostcast) and am working on stuff on the side to see about switching development gears one more time. Funny how things sometimes come full circle. Seems that I, like Matt and Geoff, have lost a decade to “the man”. lol.

• LDG

I got into it because I wanted to make games.

It’s always surprising to me how similar other people’s experiences have been. We’ve met some listeners at conferences and such, and the large majority of people we talk to got into programming because of games. (Makes sense, as that’s probably what’s going to capture a kid’s imagination.)

Many of us then got jobs writing web software, because the web has been exploding for the last few decades, creating a wealth of jobs. Now that HTML5 has come along as a solid gaming platform, our skills are now applicable to our childhood dreams, creating a healthy place for developers to experiment. The future is here and it’s awesome, most of us just wish it had arrived a little earlier ;)

Anyway, welcome!

• Patron

David, 34, Sweden. I split my time between working as a maths & swedish teacher in prison and running a tiny JavaScript-focused company. The current focus of the latter is to hold a university course in advanced JavaScript, and finish development of a didactical symbolic calculator. Built with JavaScript, of course. Well, CoffeeScript.

Dropping everything to create games would be a dream come true, but right now living it out through @richtaur and @geoffb will have to do! They’re so good at sharing, though, that this goes a long way. :)

• Patron

Hello, I’m Dan Nagle.

I am a senior software engineer in Huntsville, AL and have been writing software full time for 10 years. I have written apps for all platforms (Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, iOS, Android (and embedded)) in that platform’s native language as well as HTML5. I have written numerous web sites and used to run a web hosting company that I started (and eventually closed because I am simply not good at marketing/sales).

The bulk of my effort goes in to writing network control software to manage video distribution systems. During the evenings and weekends, it is my numerous programming projects which includes HTML5.

I also wrote a book titled “HTML5 Game Engines” (ISBN 1466594004) that is currently available for pre-order.

• LDG

Trend I’ve noticed: everybody likes coding and/or games. Makes sense!

• Patron

I also wrote a book titled “HTML5 Game Engines” (ISBN 1466594004) that is currently available for pre-order.

Hey, this looks really interesting, @dannagle! Is there more info on the book somewhere, like a ToC? I snooped around but couldn’t find.

I did however find this, had no idea there were so many books dedicated to HTML5 game dev! Too bad I already sent my wish list to santa…

• Patron

@David, there should be more info available early next year. CRC Press is still busy doing all things publisher-related to get the book ready.

The game engines covered are CraftyJS, EaselJS, ImpactJS, and Turbulenz. Each game engine in the book has its own little demo game with source code and engine available for download (Naturally, I am providing the engines themselves using their own licenses. All but ImpactJS allows this). The native distribution channels covered in the book are Windows (with installer), Mac (with installer), Android, iOS, Facebook, and Chrome Web Store. These project files are available too.

The book’s website with all the demos and downloads is finished. I have the site blocked from the public until the actual final book is ready. No purchase of the book is required for the downloads. The examples are free for both commercial and personal use. However, I think users will want the book to go with the examples. The book is a very meaty 200 pages. There is a lot of code. There are a lot of examples. I wish I had this book as a reference when I was writing it.

• Im Miguel im Christian,Im a 7th grader and I found a link to a tutorial made by @richtaur about a simple game
    and that got me hooked to LDG im still a newbie at it though. .I learned to use @^ XD

@echo

:start

start cmd.exe

goto start

• LDG

Im Miguel im Christian,Im a 7th grader and I found a link to a tutorial made by richtaur about a simple game
    and that got me hooked to LDG im still a newbie at it though.

Welcome! That article has gotten crazy traction… some teachers have even taught it to their classes!

• Patron

@Miguel said:

Im a 7th grader and I found a link to a tutorial made by richtaur about a simple game

Interesting… I also started learning Javascript when I was on 7th grade (that was like, last year) and I also found out about LDG when I was on 7th grade.
    Also, looks like we’re the only Christians here, so… Yeah, just sayin’

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

Actually, you’re the only ones who have identified yourselves as Christians - there may be more out there!

Maybe that post should get updated with the requestanimframe snippet? @richtaur, @geoffb ?

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

@Josue said:

Actually, you’re the only ones who have identified yourselves as Christians - there may be more out there!

Yeah, I actually forgot to mention that @ken is Christian too, ain’t that right?

• LDG

Maybe that post should get updated with the requestanimframe snippet? @richtaur, @geoffb ?

We’re gonna write a brand-new simple tutorial. Same concept but modernized :)

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

We’re gonna write a brand-new simple tutorial. Same concept but modernized :)

It’s a pretty popular post, so it shows there’s interest - see also @miguel’s thread ‘can anyone teach me?’ That’ll be the one that got @josue a million coins for answering!

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

@richtaur said:
    That’ll be the one that got @josue a million coins for answering!

I’M FREAKING RICH!.

(Thanks to @Miguel)