Finally 100%-ed AWL1!

• Tiger Hat

Took a few days off and had a stay-cation in order to watch a trio of dogs. Dogs sleep most of the day, so that meant I finally had huge blocks of uninterrupted time to play AWL1 (and Witcher 3, and cram some gamedev in there)!

Long story short, I took the time to finally 100% AWL1 and I’m feeling pretty proud of myself! According to Steam, 4 out of my top 6 rarest achievements are from AWL1 (Speed Run, Gold Cartridge Effect, Still Alive, Around the World).

The final achievement I accomplished was Around the World.

Some parting thoughts -

• I used the Engineer to complete the Speed Run challenge because he starts out with mapping.
    • Otherwise, my favorite character was definitely Luna - I’m pretty sure she has the highest starting speed/HP plus the best (IMO) starting soul power. The spear isn’t bad, but I started starting with the trident as soon as I got it.
    • It seemed kind of strange that there weren’t two achievements corresponding to unlocking the two shortcuts, but ehhh.
    • I think I ended up buying every blueprint in the game (at least the elf dude stopped offering them to me) - was kind of disappointed that stuff like the bee hive, the feather, and charms were not available in blueprint form.

Overall, it was a very happy 18 hours spent with this game!

• LDG

@fallse7en said in Finally 100%-ed AWL1!:

Took a few days off and had a stay-cation in order to watch a trio of dogs. Dogs sleep most of the day, so that meant I finally had huge blocks of uninterrupted time to play AWL1 (and Witcher 3, and cram some gamedev in there)!

That sounds fantastic! Good times.

• It seemed kind of strange that there weren’t two achievements corresponding to unlocking the two shortcuts, but ehhh.

That is strange. There isn’t one for 100%ing the golden statues, either, which I feel kind of bad about. NEEDS MOAR ACHIEVEMENTS

• I think I ended up buying every blueprint in the game (at least the elf dude stopped offering them to me) - was kind of disappointed that stuff like the bee hive, the feather, and charms were not available in blueprint form.

Yeah we felt we needed to keep some things unique (especially the feather) to give the gameplay some lift outside of just selecting the initial gear. That is a reasonable request though and more an issue with the overall game design than anything else, though. Balancing roguelikes is hard!

Overall, it was a very happy 18 hours spent with this game!

That’s awesome, thanks for playing and for sharing! Fun read.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said in Finally 100%-ed AWL1!:

Yeah we felt we needed to keep some things unique (especially the feather) to give the gameplay some lift outside of just selecting the initial gear. That is a reasonable request though and more an issue with the overall game design than anything else, though. Balancing roguelikes is hard!

Fair enough! Thinking back on it, it was probably the right decision on your part - it preserves some of the thrill of each run after you’ve acquired all the blueprints. Otherwise, I know I would just rock the same build through every floor for every single run.