Lostcast 179: Map 2 Boss

• LDG

• Patron

Nice podcast episode!

If you wait long enough, all computer games are eventually priced almost free (except for one bizarre 22-year-old example). I consider the biggest problem with legit game buying is the Pain-In-The-Butt dollars: DRM

Thanks to game companies loading up the game with horrid DRM that often behaves worse than viruses, the pirate sometimes also gets a better product. I’ve also heard of users downloading a pirated copy because the activation servers were broken.

Even LDG advertises their games with a “DRM free” badge. I actually look for that before I even look a the price.

• Jammer

Good episode chaps. I know this isn’t your original point, but about G2A. I fail to see how pirating is better than G2A. I see them as equivilant from a numbers perspective, as you’re still out 1 potential sale. Charge back negates the original buy. Now if you simply don’t want people to support G2A, I can understand that.

Love the teaser of 3d at the end their Geoff. Pretty much what I’ve been discovering as well, as I’ve gone through some webgl stuff lately. Really i could probably port my code to canvas without much trouble. Swap out the shader and buffer bindings to a canvas draw system instead.

• Tiger Hat

@agmcleod said in Lostcast 179: Map 2 Boss:

Good episode chaps. I know this isn’t your original point, but about G2A. I fail to see how pirating is better than G2A. I see them as equivilant from a numbers perspective, as you’re still out 1 potential sale. Charge back negates the original buy. Now if you simply don’t want people to support G2A, I can understand that.

I think you’re out more than the single sale via G2A though - because the buyer probably sees G2A as a legit vendor, they would blame any issues with the game (whether the issues stem from G2A or the game itself) on the game’s devs. I don’t think that expectation is there for a pirated version of the game.

Also, I think there’s a huge difference between the guy willing to pay money for the game and the guy not willing to pay any money for the game. The first guy can eventually be reached via a large enough discount price later in the game’s life. The second guy was never going to buy the game anyways.

• Jammer

True, there could be more throwback from someone’s key/game failing to work later. Was more speaking about the money being the same, as the wording of the it sounded like the developer would be out of pocket more. Maybe I just mis heard.

People who play pirated games and complain about it not working properly or having some sort of protection complain too. People & devs just laugh at them. The gamedev tycoon approach was pretty hilarious on this. I remember when I pirated Mirrors Edge originally (sorry EA, i bought it when i got my next paycheque), at the start of the 4th level you would move at like 20% speed. So you couldnt make the jump.

• Tiger Hat

Yeah, I think it’s about having the social capital to make your complaints stick - if you can say “I paid money for this”, that’s often the difference between somebody having to take your complaints seriously vs just laughing at you.

Hah, I knew about the Gamedev Tycoon piracy trick but hadn’t heard about the Mirror’s Edge one. I wonder if there are any other cool creative ones out there?

• Hi @agmcleod ,
    I may be wrong but I think what they meant is, if somebody flat out pirates the game, you don’t know about it, money is not exchanged, etc. Maybe they end up liking the game a lot and ultimately buy it, support the developers, etc.

But if consumers use fraudulent keys on Steam, the developers see it as a sale and ultimately get paid. Let’s say Steam deposited $1000 worth of sales into your account in June. Then in July, Steam finds out that $800 of that was from fraudulent keys and charges back your account (or Visa does, etc.). So then you are out $800 you thought you had and may have already spent. That was my take on the logic. I found myself agreeing but maybe I too misheard! :-)

• Jammer

Ah true. Still I think nothing is a guarantee. I guess people who are paying lower amounts for G2A keys might not be willing to buy the game from steam or from humble, but are willing to pay something. So them pirating is probably a more likely sale convert later.