Selfishly exiting lurk mode to ask a favor

• Gladly, I’ve still been keeping up with the podcast… occasionally thinking I should jump in here and comment on some thought I had on my commute, or some bit that made me laugh out loud. But sadly, that hasn’t come to fruition!

What finally got me signing in again is that I’m ramping up to throw the 2nd http://ictgamejam.com event July 15-17th. I kinda used all the local candidates for gamedev judges last year, and thought I’d entertain the idea of soliciting remote judges.

Wondering if team LDG might have 2hrs July 17th to playtest some gamejam games and do some judging? I know we kinda run the risk of technical difficulties… “it works on the dev’s machine” with Unity or UE4 binaries etc … but I wanted to float the idea out there.

I still feel pretty badly that I already exclusively benefit from the podcast on a weekly basis, and now I’m coming out of lurk mode to ask a favor. But I hear your insight and observations each week that I wished my judges would have exhibited last year. Our gamedev pool is also so small right now… there’s also just no way to avoid bias.

Either way… I’m enjoying the little bites I get to play of Soul Thief every now and again, and continued thanks for the motivation your podcast brings each week. Always rooting for LDG!

• @jiiimbot said in Selfishly exiting lurk mode to ask a favor:

Either way… I’m enjoying the little bites I get to play of Soul Thief every now and again

removes foot from mouth

Wanted to clarify that I’m just not getting much gaming in these days… thus the “little bites.”

re-inserts foot

• LDG

Yo @jiiimbot! The vast majority of Lostcast listeners are 100% lurkers, so you’re more engaged than most, have no guilt! Judging sounds fun, count me in! (and maybe @geoffb too??) I’ll add it to the calendar for Sunday the 17th – just LMK what needs to be done next and when, etc.

hehe did you bite your foot?? Have no worries, my own brothers don’t even play my games ;) I always am interested in new games but in reality, when I finally do have the time/inclination, I end up playing familiar stuff. Or just working on new games! Anyway I hear ya, and I’m glad you’ve played it at all.

So yeah thanks for coming out and posting! And again count me in; how’d last year’s go?

• Oh man I’d be so pumped if this works out! Last year went quite well. It was the first of its kind in our region. I haven’t heard that other midwest regions ahead of us in tech (OK, KCMO) have thrown gamejam events.

We had some great responses, and best of all, got some local devs to see that they’re not alone out there on the internet! We’ve even got one small studio starting up. They made a branded game for a local brewery to be played with 4x SNES controllers and a little Linux box slapped to the back of a TV.

It’s looking like our judging/community play time will be between 12pm and 5pm on Sunday July 17th. Wanting to announce winners at 6pm Central. Yeah, I’d like to get both you and Geoff if it’s feasible. Not sure if I’d solicit another judge or not… last year I had 3 b/c of the feared bias. 3 might not be necessary this year, and then I’d have more remote folks left to ping for next year. Of course you guys end up enjoying the experience, I’d love to keep a rotation going ;)

Because, yeah… I’ll throw this event each year, even if it’s 2 or 3 of us bringing sack lunches to our coworking space and making games for ourselves :D

• LDG

@jiiimbot said in Selfishly exiting lurk mode to ask a favor:

other midwest regions

Where at in the midwest? I’m from southern IL.

We had some great responses, and best of all, got some local devs to see that they’re not alone out there on the internet! We’ve even got one small studio starting up. They made a branded game for a local brewery to be played with 4x SNES controllers and a little Linux box slapped to the back of a TV.

That sounds like an amazing project! Contract jellies :3

It’s looking like our judging/community play time will be between 12pm and 5pm on Sunday July 17th. Wanting to announce winners at 6pm Central. Yeah, I’d like to get both you and Geoff if it’s feasible. Not sure if I’d solicit another judge or not… last year I had 3 b/c of the feared bias. 3 might not be necessary this year, and then I’d have more remote folks left to ping for next year. Of course you guys end up enjoying the experience, I’d love to keep a rotation going ;)

Cool well I’m down (can’t speak for Geoff) and if you need others I’m happy to loop in some industry friends.

• @richtaur Perfect. I’m in Wichita, KS. Been in MO and KS in bigger cities, but been in Wichita long enough to just say that’s where “I’m from” for simplicity’s sake :D

Just trying to get people pumped to make games. We live in the future with same internet as the coasts, right? But as such, I’ve loved learning and plugging in with the “traditionally coastal” gamedev folks… when I remember to do so.

Someone recently convinced me to shout at people about it, if you’ve got 5min http://wichitalks.com/jim-rice

• @richtaur And yeah, Geoff or otherwise… love to get some folks who have shipped games I can link to, or do podcasts, educate etc. Our first jam was “in house” judges and all… I’d like to start making broader connections, and get some of these folks to see how to exercise the lessons and experience that’s out there wherever they are.

• @richtaur heya. I bumped the conversation via your LDG “hello” email address if that’s alright?

• LDG

Yup, see you in Gmail :)