Lostcast 173: Dream-First

• LDG

• Tiger Hat

I wonder if you could make a settler’s like game, where the streamer plays the game, but the viewers take the place of that automaton mobs, and score points by performing the actions required by the streamer.

• Tiger Hat

sniff :)

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb Most APIs are web-based, be they RESTful, or whatever, you’re generally hitting an HTTP service, the difference between that and, say Call Of Duty, is that there is no API layer for Call of Duty, you’re connecting directly to the server.

There’s a huge performance difference as you’re throwing out that entire HTTP layer, and possibly even able to drop TCP in favour of UDP.

You could make a Stream First game that was not web-aware, but this would likely be just a multiplayer game. Ideally, it would network internally using UDP, and then interact with streaming services in a separate part of the game.

I think the perfect fit for these games would be asynchronous games, where one player has a completely different role than the others; a traditional RPG with a Dungeon Master would be a perfect example, the Settlers clone may be another.

Monetization is the other question, I’d still go down the path of a paywall, give the game away to streamers, and make players pay to participate. You could give streamers special items, and make the only way players can acquire them to be to play that particular stream.

• Jammer

Not an episode specific comment, but listening to this episode and many others, it gets me fired up to continue on my game. That I want to progress with it, start making it marketable, and get it out there for people to play. Problem is I’m also looking forward to the next idea that I’m currently baking.

• Tiger Hat

@agmcleod said in Lostcast 173: Dream-First:

Not an episode specific comment, but listening to this episode and many others, it gets me fired up to continue on my game. That I want to progress with it, start making it marketable, and get it out there for people to play. Problem is I’m also looking forward to the next idea that I’m currently baking.

I’m the same way. I’m almost guaranteed to get some work done on my game either that day or the day after after listening to an episode. I think it helps because there’s no other voices in my life that are into game development or anything so it helps it feel not as much as a solitary grind.

• Jammer

@fallse7en said in Lostcast 173: Dream-First:

I’m the same way. I’m almost guaranteed to get some work done on my game either that day or the day after after listening to an episode. I think it helps because there’s no other voices in my life that are into game development or anything so it helps it feel not as much as a solitary grind.

Yeah similar to me. I have a couple programmer friends who work on various things, and we chat about a lot of web tech, but I don’t tend to have a game community that i chat with regularly.

• LDG

Haha I hear you guys. Even if you’re not actively working on games, just hanging out and listening and stuff surely does improve your skills and determination a small amount.

Still to this day I only really have Geoff that I know IRL who’s as into working on games as I am. Where are all the obsessive game devs at??

• Jammer

Gotta hunt down user groups. Meetups, pub nights, etc. There is a monthly one here in Toronto. Can be a little bit of a pain to get to, also when I went, I found it hard to really share a lot of things, I guess cause I enjoy the in depth technical chat, and it was a lot of high level discussion going around.

• Tiger Hat

Cloak is interesting though I think unless you plan to leave the desktop (nwjs / electron) then I don’t think you should use it. I have some experience with html5 mmo games (ironbane.com) and I can tell you that you don’t want to use websockets or transmit json for an action game if you can avoid it. It’s fine for chat, but since you have access to native libs you should really use those (tcp/udp) and send minimal binary data. Even if you are on the web, don’t use json, while it’s super easy to work with, it just isn’t performant.

• Jammer

@Warspawn that’s good to hear. I haven’t really looked at creating multiplayer experiences yet, but using socket.io probably would have been my experiment at least. Otherwise just use java to build the game and TCP/UDP on the network side.

Mobile games i’ve moved on to using cordova entirely. Figured out how to get the WKWebview loading local assets, and it runs pretty well. Standard UIWebview is too slow. Tempted to launch an update to my game “Wrath of the cube” to use the WKWebview, so it runs faster. I don’t use ludei anymore, as you have to pay to change things like the splash screen. Plus I’m not big on how it approximates canvas arc draws and such. Though if you need to target older mobile devices that don’t have WKWebview, or Chrome for the back end (sub android 4.4), i’d recommend ludei/cocoonjs

• LDG

@Warspawn when do you find Cloak appropriate? For a web-based game, but not for a desktop app built with nwjs etc.?

@agmcleod how you liking Cordova so far?

• Jammer

@richtaur I have a fair bit of experience with it, given I did cordova apps at one of my previous jobs. I really need to test it thoroughly to make sure I can get the performance i need. Really though the support of plugins makes it so handy. Doing things like in app purchases, push notifications, ad banners, etc, is pretty straight forward. Well push notifications you gotta push from somewhere, but other than that ;)

While I have a lot of things on my plate, I should try to put wrath of the cube on wkwebview this weekend, and see how it runs. Was playing the app store version on my phone the other day, felt too slow.

Been thinking of a music app to create for the surface pro 4 that I have. Did a bit of experimentation with WinJS & standard HTML5 libraries. Mousemove event in html5 is not enough to draw smooth lines on an html5 canvas, so I’m gonna have to use C# for this one. Though I should realllllllyyyyyy finish snowball! LOL. #distracticast