Another free 2d game engine

• Hey guys,

Since you’re always looking at new tech, I just ran across yet another free 2d game engine. Apparently King (makers of Candy Crush) have made an engine/IDE/tools, etc. called Defold (http://www.defold.com/) free. It uses Lua for scripting. Personally I like Lua, but I know it’s not for everyone.

Some things about it seem annoying - your games are stored on their servers - but they’re apparently working on supporting alternative types of cloud support. They use Git for version control.

It seems kinda Unity-esque but for 2D. Apparently they’re working on better 3D support, so kind of the reverse of what Unity has done (i.e. mainly 3D support, sort of bolting on 2D support). It has an entity-component system. Provides cross-platform publishing (Win, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, HTML5).

I may check it out. I’ve been messing with Love2D and a couple of other Lua engines lately.

Anyway, thought I’d mention this here. Note I have no personal or business affiliation with King or Defold. I found it via Google search, actually. :)

Has anyone else checked Defold out or used it?

-Ceric

• LDG

It does look really cool. One of my few hesitations about Unity is that it’s natively 3d, with 2d bolted on. Defold being more naturally 2d is appealing. Now that I think about it, I know very little about Lua except that it’s heavily used. But if I had to become comfortable with a new language, personally I’d rather invest the time in C#.

Wish I had some time to kick its tires :) Have fun checking it out, and let us know what you think about it!

• Tiger Hat

This is another I’ve recently taken interest in, free, open source, on steam http://www.godotengine.org/

• Tiger Hat

I can’t tell if this is resting on top of HTML5 or just ports to it - Personally I’m looking for something that works as well as Unity3D but is more application focused - Unity3Ds 2D features are coming along in leaps and bounds, and given the tools are so generally robust, find little incentive to jump ship.

• @richtaur As a real programmer you’d get up to speed with Lua in a day or three, seriously. And it’s oh, so much more fun than C#. :) Actually, I think Lua is more fun than any of the dozen or so languages I’ve learned in the last 30 years. But as the OP said, it’s not for everyone. (But it should be, dang it!)

I poked at Defold a little bit before King bought them up, and then again briefly a couple months ago. Since I make my living writing game dev tutorials I try to stick to engines/frameworks with larger audiences, so it’s still a little early in the Defold cycle for me. But I do like what I’ve seen.

Jay

• LDG

@OutlawGameTools makes sense, gotta go with what people use. I’d imagine Unity is the most popular ATM, is that primarily what you target?

• @richtaur Will do. I’ll probably do a tutorial and see how that goes. One of the things that does seem nice about it is the lack of setup difficulties. I tried setting up a HaxeFlixel development environment and that didn’t go very well, though I was (eventually) able to get a test game going. Love2D is also nice because it’s easy to jump in and start developing.

FYI I have tried Unity, but I agree that it’s a more 3D-first type of platform. Still, it’s so popular, and relatively easy to get started with, that I see why metric tons of developers use it.

• Thank you for sharing this one. But if you are looking for background, characters, pixel art, game engine and game development tutorials, then you can try to visit this site https://mobilegamegraphics.com. Which we have some free stuff also.

One-stop destination for high quality 8-Bit characters, graphics, themes, sprites, pixel art, and backgrounds. Create beautiful 8-bit games today.

• @richtaur (Replying THREE freaking months later!!! What the…???)

I switched from doing Corona SDK courses to doing Unity courses since that way I could become very wealthy, right? Then I discovered there are SO many people doing Unity tutorials that I can’t make any headway – just lost in the crowd.

So right now I’m doing a new course for Corona, then I’ll recreate it for Unity, and spend a couple months promoting the heck out of both and see what happens.

There is more potential in the Unity world, but I’m not sure how to (cheaply) get people to know about my stuff. Fewer devs in the Corona world, but I have an existing reputation there and a ready-made way to get my stuff found.

I wish the hard part was programming and NOT stupid marketing.

Jay