Feedback

• Good work! I loved the inbetween sequence with wiz & liz. Hope you’ll keep adding those. Thumbs up on Steam! :)
    Kinda sad that Raga dies when the beast you steal dies. Expected the soul to find its way back to Raga.

• LDG

Thanks! Interesting, maybe when you’re in the same room as Raga’s body, your soul should return home.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur
    I feel like that would make the game a little easier by taking some of the risk out of possession as long as you can keep Raga alive

• @richtaur Feels natural to me, anyway. Poor Raga’s dying, soul-less body :) For balance, maybe you could register a damage hit to Raga if the soul returns that way.

• Patron

@sven said:

I loved the inbetween sequence with wiz & liz. Hope you’ll keep adding those

+1, they’re absolutely lovely! Well done @richtaur! Really gave the game a good dose of character. Looking forward to see what else you’ll come up with!

• LDG

Hey thanks guys! I plan on adding a bit more detail to the intro scene, and then eventually we’ll have an ending scene or two.

• Patron

Some random thoughts from the latest session (haven’t yet made it to the lab, sadly):

• Knife dash should be cancellable by pressing the opposite (or maybe any?) direction as well as the action key
    • When changing y-axis facing, I feel the screen changes a bit too rapidly, especially if I’m not moving. Perhaps toy a bit with that value?
    • Perhaps objects should be breakable by icebox projectiles?
    • Clam player invisibility - how about:
      • you enter invisibility mode after a second or two of inaction
      • moving or shooting makes you vulnerable…
      • …as does taking a hit! which means it’ll only save you from one hit, you can’t just sit around
    • Give chests popup saying what category they contain (explaining the color coding)
    • Maybe make current progress visible on title screen (# of tickets, bought trinkets), that’d make what persists more obvious

• Patron

Nooo, game just crashed while in Wizard’s lab with killer bees and a gazillion charges :P

That new enemy was really neat! :)

EDIT: Wee, just noticed the continue option was available, letting me carry on from the start of the lab with the same gear! Nice!

• LDG

Thanks for the thoughts, these are good ideas. Any idea what caused the crash? There should have been an error message that popped up, any chance you caught it?

• Patron

@richtaur said in Feedback:

Thanks for the thoughts, these are good ideas. Any idea what caused the crash? There should have been an error message that popped up, any chance you caught it?

I don’t think it was your fault - I paused the game by activating the menu, did something else (I’m on OS X so I swiped to another desktop), and when I came back twenty or so minutes later the app was completely unresponsive. Screen still showed the menu overlaying the game.

• LDG

Cool good to know. I’ll just tuck that under “hopefully won’t be a problem” :)

• Patron

More random stuff:

• The pit tiling pattern in the wizard’s lab looks too much like bricks to me, making my brain report that I’m looking at a wall which plays all kinds of hell with the already skewed perspective. Potential quick fix if others feel the same: rotate and/or scale down.
    • Probably technically difficult to fix, but the depth illusion is kind of lost when you shoot a lit projectile (like bats) over a pit and the floor below is illuminated.
    • The word “quit” is used both for the in-game menu and the title screen menu. Maybe change the in-game one to “abandon session” or something?
    • Perhaps visualise the currently saved session (if any) on the title screen with the dungeon 2*2 sprite with the currently possessed vessel on top?
    • “Trap” idea - a hornet’s nest (or for cheaps reuse the honeycomb toy sprite) appearing in the garden, hit it and angry bees appear, aggroing at the closest entities. Sort of an ecologic exploding barrel!
    • Was gonna say something about the jar with the white Raga, but then I saw the new sprite on twitter! Looked excellent!

• Patron

• Possessed painting: make him create runes in fixed order instead of randomising. That would open up for more skilled play when you are immune to one of the types.

• Patron

Bug, v0.14.0: I exited the library as a bat book with a heat rock. Circular zoom effect happened, but then screen remained black and unresponsive. Progress scene never showed. I quit the game and chose continue, and it correctly started me in the kitchen as a bat book.

…although now along with the heat rock I also had seed of life, which I’m pretty sure (but not 100%) that I never picked up.

EDIT: The exact same thing happened when I finally died in the same session. Screen went black and never switched to the final tally screen.

• LDG

@David good stuff thanks for all this!

• Perhaps visualise the currently saved session (if any) on the title screen with the dungeon 2*2 sprite with the currently possessed vessel on top?

Yeah that might be pretty easy and would help to inform what’s going on with “Continue” (I’m not 100% clear on this myself!)

• “Trap” idea - a hornet’s nest (or for cheaps reuse the honeycomb toy sprite) appearing in the garden, hit it and angry bees appear, aggroing at the closest entities. Sort of an ecologic exploding barrel!

Sold! I like anything with bees :D

And uh-oh, that sounds like a fatal bug. No error screen though huh? That bug will be hard to find because it’s at the end of a (potentially long) session … I’d guess there’s a damage source that’s causing an error on the results scene.

• Patron

• Bosses should yield increasingly more tickets, otherwise the fastest & easiest way by far to gain tickets is to spam-kill the possessed painting.
    • Invincible thorn adds should be removed when plant boss is killed

• LDG

Good ideas both! And, thankfully, they sound easy to implement :)

• Patron

• The water “pits” in the garden really need some (simple) animation. Once you’ve noticed that they are completely static the illusion is lost.
    • Wizard’s lab lightbulbs are excellent! Thematic and moody.
    • The floating eyes in the wizard’s lab are neat, but I’m a bit uncomfortable with how they break the “rule” of how enemies are normal items that have been possessed. That makes the eyes feel a bit cheap and out-of-place.

• Jammer

Just played the newest patch (A Wizard’s Lizard: Soul Thief 0.15.0) after not playing for like the past 2-3 weeks. I have to say while I was playing dungeon 1-3 I was like “Hmmm, I just don’t feel much synergy between the enemies. I want more.” and then BAM! WIZARDS F-coin-ING LAB! That shiz was the effin shiz guys! I loved that I couldn’t get past certain areas without killing the shield guys first. I loved the different types of orbs, and that I quickly learned to stay the hell away from them. I love the aesthetic, the overall tone, the theme, it was really really enjoyable. Also those little Bunsen burners literally made me laugh out loud. Honestly, this was loads of fun- great work guys! I’m very stoked to see this game completely finished, every time I look at what you guys have done it’s always really interesting, and inspiring. Really great stuff.

• LDG

Cool @David good points, looks like we’ve got a lot of work to do.

@Vox excellent! So glad you’re enjoying it so far. More content coming, and more improvements too :)

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said in Feedback:

Cool @David good points, looks like we’ve got a lot of work to do.

Mush! Mush!