Soul Thief feedback / idea

• Hi I was just watching a lets play of “Soul Thief” and while playing I realized that the player was loving the idea of controlling the enemies, but he did not have a real incentive to do so. I know i did not play “Soul Thief” yet, but from watching it became really apparent that the controlling the monster thing did only make sense on a small percentage of the monsters (usually monsters with a ranged attack).

What i am suggesting is:

• Give each monster a monster it is particular good against so it would make sense to search and steal lets say an inkwell to beat the new monster “paper”.
    • Make raga weaker against more monsters. I am not saying raga should be the same power level as all the monsters, but he should be worse against their “archenemy” (the monster they are realy strong against), but better against the rest. Currently you have the problem that raga is most of the time just straight better then all these monsters
    • Make some rooms which are realy hard and have only 1 enemy type (lets call them archenemy rooms). These rooms should be done with a certain monster, or with raga and a wand (the fallback)
    • Make some treasures or other things only be reachable by certain monsters (easiest is a chest in an area you could only fly to, or a switch that can only be activated when shot at…), this way it makes even more sense to possess more.

Overall i love the concept of the game, but i think that you need to increase the incentive to use bot the possession and the wand abilities. There is nothing wrong with doing rooms that require, you to use these mechanics or make your live really hard, this way the player can learn how to use the mechanics and feel smart.

I wish you the best of luck and maybe i could give you some inspiration. Now i need to continue working on my game and ignore everything i just said to you (because that’s how it goes i guess…)

Greetings

PartTimeIndie

• LDG

Can I call you PTI? ;) Thanks for the suggestions! It’s true ATM players don’t ever really have to possess monsters. It’s fun, it’s often a good strategy, and there already are some areas you can only get to as monsters (like chests across pits, as you suggest). But yeah we definitely want to bake in more scenarios where it’s advantageous.

One feature that’s pretty fun is that there are unlockable “toybox” items you can only get by beating the game with certain monsters. We’ll continue to add stuff like this to harmonize more with the playable monsters.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

One feature that’s pretty fun is that there are unlockable “toybox” items you can only get by beating the game with certain monsters. We’ll continue to add stuff like this to harmonize more with the playable monsters.

How do you envision that working? For instance, to beat the game with a chicken, can it be any chicken? Including one I find in the final level? Or are we looking for a toybox item that can spawn any monster we have defeated X times, and start the game with it?

• LDG

@salmonmoose The idea is that it can be any monster of that type. This creates a natural spectrum of difficulty as some monsters can be grabbed in the final level, just before the boss, and some only appear in the first level. There are also going to be multi-step unlocks which are currently in the works. For example, you beat the game as (any) Chicken and you can then purchase a Spotted Chicken for Raga’s Room. There’s only one instance of that monster so you’ll need to take it from Raga’s Room to the end while keeping it alive which could be very difficult.

• Good to hear that you where already thinking about this stuff and are planning to add it :) The achievements are great, but i think serve mainly the purpose of giving the player a harder challenge if they want to (“choose your own difficultly”), what i was talking about is that the main game should increase the incentive, but you already said you are thinking about stuff like that. I am wish you the best of luck with your early access release next week. Keep up the good work !