Soul Thief Un-official Bug Report Thread

• Jammer

Hey everyone! I’ve made a bunch more videos, and although not as entertaining as I’ve hoped, they have served as quite good reference for bugs that show up in the game. I hope that this thread can be used to report any bugs experienced during gameplay. There may be a better location to put these and if so @geoffb or @richtaur please let me know if and how you’d like to receive this info :)

Let’s get to it:
    Build being play tested:
    Soul Thief 0.7.0

Video of play test:
    Let’s Play A Wizard’s Lizard: Soul Thief - Episode 3!

18:55
    Knife Clam projectile collision - As a knife I attacked a clam, during the attack the clam shoots a pearl, the pearl has unexpected behavior.

20:20
    Knives become unresponsive - In a room of knives some of the knives stopped responding, or maybe became stuck in a stunned state, seemingly after colliding with walls or each other.

24:20
    Permanent knife immunity - This could be completely wrong, but it seems like if I just quickly keep hitting the attack button I cannot be hurt as the knife.

25:45
    Fireball bounces off chest - It seems like turret fireballs reflect off of the purple chest.

I have many more videos I intend to watch, and document any unexpected results I experience.

Thanks for reading :)

• Tiger Hat

Game performance deteriorates significantly when mining crypto-currency :(

• Patron

@salmonmoose said:

That sounds interesting…
    Details?

• Tiger Hat

@Josue nothing special, I pool mine on my gaming rig when I’m not using it for heavy lifting, forgot to kill the script to play, got a chuggy frame rate.

• LDG

Hey Matt and Geoff HERE’S A BUNCH OF WORK FOR YOU TO just kidding really appreciate the reports! We might see about some kind of public task tracking system, mebbe, but this is a great start.

@salmonmoose said:

Sounds so futuristic!

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

Hey Matt and Geoff HERE’S A BUNCH OF WORK FOR YOU TO

Ahh yeah sorry- I was just thinking like “I’m making all of these vids and seeing all this stuff, what is a good clean easy way to track this so Matt and Geoff can be aware of some of the issues I’m seeing?”

This was the best solution I could think of - I have more vids that I’m combing through, but just let me know if this becomes more of a bother than a benefit.

• LDG

haha dude I was seriously just kidding, we need the bug reports :) Each bug fixed means a better game, fewer negative reviews, etc. Keep 'em coming!

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

haha dude I was seriously just kidding

Ah good- I was hesitant originally with this just because I know you guys have a lot on your plates. But yeah! I’ll do my best to keep things orderly and easy to reference :D

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

haha dude I was seriously just kidding, we need the bug reports :) Each bug fixed means a better game, fewer negative reviews, etc. Keep 'em coming!

Yeah, it’s hard - I have a glimpse of how much of your heart and soul you’re pouring into this game, from personal experience, and under stand the bite when someone complains that the tail-swing animation is playing at the wrong rate (for instance) - but conflicted in trying to help you make a super-awesome product - I see heaps of potential in this game, and know that all information points are useful, but sometimes just want to sit back and say “hey yeah, that’s awesome”.

• Jammer

Alrighty, here’s another fun filled bug report!

Let’s get to it:
    Build being play tested:
    Soul Thief 0.7.0

Video of play test:
    Let’s Play A Wizard’s Lizard: Soul Thief - Episode 4!

Potential Bugs:
    0:40
    Player Bat Book can float in a direction when pushing up against an object that gets destroyed.

7:55
    Pighead’s apple has unexpected float after player knife stabs the Pighead.

12:40
    Not realy a bug, but maybe unintended? Fire tiles may not be big enough (or I’m just bad) for certain creatures to fit in-between fire spots.

14:44
    Player Bat Book regains controls when hit by enemy.

19:20
    Pause and unpause restarts playing boss music after boss has been defeated.

21:00
    No chest appeared after clearing room of enemies ( Chest outline just disappears instead of giving chest ).

Suggestions:
    12:08
    Wand descriptions in pause menu.

17:05
    Have chests or maybe some other icons show up on map (you guys have already talked about this, but as a player I definitely had the feeling of "Now where did I see that?) Maybe it’s good to have to go back looking for stuff, but maybe it could make the compass more useful- like it’ll show what room Raga’s in, etc…

Final note- I loved getting the toybox pattern, that was super fun and kinda reminiscent of the first one. Having patterns to unlock unique content definitely felt rewarding and cool. Maybe other patterns are unlocked via achievements, as I feel that’d be really cool as well.

Thanks for reading everyone! I’m really loving this game! :)

• LDG

@salmonmoose said:

Yeah, it’s hard - I have a glimpse of how much of your heart and soul you’re pouring into this game, from personal experience, and under stand the bite when someone complains that the tail-swing animation is playing at the wrong rate (for instance) - but conflicted in trying to help you make a super-awesome product - I see heaps of potential in this game, and know that all information points are useful, but sometimes just want to sit back and say “hey yeah, that’s awesome”.

Cool man that’s great to hear, we have been working as hard as we can on it, great to hear that’s not going unnoticed. It can sting sometimes when people point out flaws, but it’s good, it’s the same kind of sting as either seeing your own artwork and being disappointed, or getting critiqued and understanding that you’ve got a ways to go. It’s all good tho, it leads to improvement, which is critical to me. Onwards and upwards etc.

• LDG

Nice thanks @Vox we’re filing tickets for this stuff. GIVE US MORE WE CAN TAKE IT!!!

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

GIVE US MORE WE CAN TAKE IT!!!

Lol! Phew, I’m glad it’s okay. I have stated this before, I feel like I absolutely would not be able to handle a molecule of what you guys handle when it comes to opinions/critiques.

It’s one thing if you ask for critiques, it’s a whole other thing when you have like everyone and their mother saying “You know what would really be great in this game? If Raga was a chef, and made cakes instead of killed monsters…”

Anyway, in the midst of these “bugs” I want you guys to know that I am absolutely loving it. I’m stoked for more content, and even with the content I’ve seen thus far, I am eager to play through it more.

• Jammer

Bug report numero three-o!

Let’s get to it:
    Build being play tested:
    Soul Thief 0.7.0

Video of play test:
    Let’s Play A Wizard’s Lizard: Soul Thief - Episode 5!

Potential Bugs:
    7:18
    Lag only present in boss room. Maybe this could help diagnose where some of the performance issues are coming from? Lots of corpses? Different music? I don’t know, but I thought I’d point it out.

11:45
    Wizard chat bubble doesn’t come up.

13:35
    Globe spawns batbook and batbook doesn’t seem responsive.

16:46
    Although fun, it seems that when you do enough damage to a spawner since the damage dealer, in this case tailwhip, is still in that area it will also effect whatever is spawned- this maybe intentional, but was not something I expected. Later in the vid I hit a chicken and it runs around with it’s head cutoff which is more consistent to what I’d expect, as from what I can tell the fully live chicken actually spawns the headless chicken upon death, correct?

17:00
    Raga platform misalignment. Some context here, I’ve been playing the game over and over back to back like 4-5 times, so I don’t know if something is still referenced?

Suggestions:
    Banquet hall, maybe putting the culdrun over a flame does something cool? Just a thought when I was re-watching the play-through.

Hope this helps!! Thanks for reading :D

• LDG

@Vox said:

Lag only present in boss room. Maybe this could help diagnose where some of the performance issues are coming from? Lots of corpses? Different music? I don’t know, but I thought I’d point it out.

That should be fixed with next build because we’ve limited the number of runes that spawn via a time-to-live (they expire after 10 seconds). Let us know if that helps!

Although fun, it seems that when you do enough damage to a spawner since the damage dealer, in this case tailwhip, is still in that area it will also effect whatever is spawned- this maybe intentional, but was not something I expected.

Good stuff, that’s been a problem since the first game, I think we’ll add a grace to the newly spawned entity.

Raga platform misalignment.

Oh weird, haven’t seen that before, I’ll take a look.

Suggestions:
    Banquet hall, maybe putting the culdrun over a flame does something cool? Just a thought when I was re-watching the play-through.

Yeah, IDK what to do with the cauldron. It was initially used by the wizard for fluff kind of, and then I stuck it in the banquet for … reasons. Feels like it needs a secret quest built around it or something.

Hope this helps!! Thanks for reading :D

It does, esp the timed links, thanks so much for doing this.

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

It does, esp the timed links, thanks so much for doing this.

No prob! I actually made like 4 vids sunday, and I’ve been trying to upload them etc., but I just watched your alpha vid and the poison bug is in my bug report for the next vid and I was like “I could of prevented this if I was only quicker!!” but alas, I couldn’t inform you both in time. I have 2 more vids to finish they are of my girlfriend and I both playing, so you can see how a brand new player (not just to soul thief but games like soul thief) handles the game.

Anyway, enough rambling- I’ll try to get those last two vids up before the end of the day :D

• Jammer

Bug report from me and my girlfriend playing AWL!!

Let’s get to it:
    Build being play tested:
    Soul Thief 0.7.0

Video of play test:
    Vox and Maezera Play: A Wizard’s Lizard: Soul Thief - Episode 1! ( Vox )

Potential Bugs:
    0:58
    No wizard popup dialog text.

1:30
    Armor loses AI/responsiveness

2:29
    Barrel explosion pushes spawned creatures out of wall boundaries.

9:24
    No shop keeper popup dialog text.

10:40
    Knife stab appeared to stop the ice box projectile.

28:40
    I break the courtyard heart plants, but at 30:45 they are invisible and kill me. My guess here is that when you leave the room with a ‘dead plant’ the plant spawns after some time off screen, but they are never redrawn to the screen because they aren’t in the rendering tick?

29:55
    Getting poisoned even though I have Leach (Maybe its a percentage chance?)

30:45
    30:45 - Invisible thorns kill me.

If you ended up watching this vid- stay tuned because Maezera played in the next vid that I will post soon!

Thanks for reading and or watching :D

• LDG

Whoa!! Invisible plants, that’s a new big big problem.

The leech-but-still-poisoned bug should be fixed soon, that one’s happening because the poison immunity state isn’t transferring between possessed bodies.

Thanks for these reports, and for playing with your girlfriend! I’m looking forward to catching up on these vids sometime soon.

• Tiger Hat

(0.8.0) - had a quick playthrough, will try a bigger stream later today

• mobs spawned from destroying objects need brief immunity both for their sake and the players, breaking a barrel and getting hit by a headless chicken feels cheap
    • old globes were more fun, and could be used effectively as weapons - perhaps give globes an insane amount of hits, and make them self damage when they collide with things - but cause damage also
    • is it possible to have icons on the chests? i understand the different colors mean different things, but the learning curve is steep, and I have no idea what they mean
    • armors trigger runes to no effect, their blast radius and movement pattern means they are effectively mine-clearers - (I kind of want them to move like chess pieces)
    • disabling blink because you’re too close to a wall breaks flow, to prevent game breaking, perhaps allow the cast to be shorter if a collision occurs, OR cast a ‘spirit’ that bounces between raga and the max range, and let the player release where they want to blink to (like the old golf games)

• LDG

Good stuff. Surprising to hear about the globes, although causing damage with them was fun, players were getting destroyed by them. Icons on chests is, ya know, more work ;) The colors were easy and we were looking for something subtle to reward players who pay attention. Interesting idea about blink, we’ll look into that. Thanks for the thoughts and the streams!

• Patron

Not bugs per se, but (way overdue!) general feedback:

• Basic game play feels really good, much better than AWL1 imho. I’m having so much fun! :)
    • Also, possession mechanic is much more interesting than death mechanic, and works really well to boot
    • Graphics are really neat! @richtaur for president!
    • Very good call on not autoclosing doors except in boss rooms
    • Also think disposing of mana ammo was a good call, makes the whole thing much more approachable
    • Rodent enemy works really well, even though he only has one “perspective”. Critter has got character!
    • Kitchen: it’s not just stove vs jelly (although they are perhaps too similar) - knives and pigheads also attack solely on the orthogonal axis, giving the level a feel of samey orthogonal overload.

Suggestions and ideas:

• Maybe holes look better if you don’t tile edges next to walls?
    • Should display current wand info in pause screen too
    • If i play with keyboard, show mapped keys instead of buttons in the HUD for soul/wand
    • Levels having locked chest but no key drops anywhere feels cheesy. Perhaps make available in shop as fallback?
    • The chain lightning doesn’t look very “lightningy”. Two potential remedies:
      • sharp corners instead of current rounded style
      • make colours more blue-white than current warm yellow
    • Globes: it feels like a shame to lose the potential for shenanigans. How about a compromise where you only make the globes do damage if they are travelling very fast? That way they can still be used by the player to cause havoc, but still not completely decimate players.

Play room toy ideas:

• A gramophone (why not use this sprite?) that lets you play the various songs in the game
    • A TV with a channel per monster, showing the sprite in action. Could potentially have gameplay effect; double damage against that monster since you’re studying it
    • Aerial / Satellite dish, gives you more channels to the TV (perhaps the bosses?)

Plant boss comments:

• It feels cheesy when vines spawn under me
    • The regenerating vines quickly become overwhelming. Perhaps have just a few of them be regenerating, and the rest just regular destructible vines
    • The fact that it has no possessible ads makes him much more difficult than the other bosses. Maybe cut down on vine generation and have him spawn plants sometimes? Or maybe it is a good thing that he is different.

Raga is really cute and pet relationship is interesting, I think there’s way more to be tapped from that. Some thoughts on how to increase character exploitation:

• Cutscenes before the bosses (once per session to save them from being annoying):
      • painting: Raga walks up to painting and expresses adoration somehow, before curse kicks in
      • kitchen: Similar, Raga walks up, wonders what’s for dinner, etc
    • Some wands could be reskinned to be the Wizard helping out, for example the freezing all enemies. This could be made rather cheaply, just put wizard sprite somewhere with a speech bubble saying “Now, Raga!”.
    • When Raga walks up to the Wizard, change them temporarily to this sprite

In closing I just want to repeat myself and say that I really enjoy the game! You’re on to something special here, so, keep your spirits up! :)