Poly-Poly Putt-Putt

• Patron

Hey guys, I’d like to share this thing I’ve been working on for the last few months. It’s a mini golf game I made in UE4, you can play it over on itch.io and I’d really appreciate some feedback. I realise minigolf isn’t super exciting, I picked it just as a basic topic to learn how to use UE4, this is the first thing I’ve ever ‘programmed’ but I did understand 3D modelling before I started this project.

https://islipaway.itch.io/p-p-p-p

alt text

• Jammer

Holy cow this looks awesome! I’ll give it a putt and let you know ;)

• Patron

Cool, lemme know how it runs! you can hit the f key to show fps during gameplay (won’t toggle on menus). Biggest concern is performance, I can get 120fps most of the time on high but on my girlfriends laptop it’s under 10 on low!

• Jammer

Will do! I have a PC and 2 laptops, I’ll try and download it tonight/tomorrow, and I’ll let you know what I see :D

Honestly though, it looks great. Did you model all the assets yourself?

• Patron

Thanks dude!

Yup! I’ve done 3d stuff for many years on and off as a of hobby so for me that was the easy part. I tried to work with other people on games but it never really went anywhere so I figured I’d just bite the bullet and try and do the programming stuff myself. UE4 has a really nice scripting system that means you don’t really need to properly understand programming to make stuff work and the art integration is super easy so that helped!

• Jammer

Wow, awesome! It looks really great. What do you model your stuff in?

• Patron

Historically Maya but I’m currently switching over to blender and most of this was done in blender. Maya’s pretty awesome but so expensive! Blender is really fully featured at this point, it’s just a case of re-learning interface that’s in my way. For a free product it’s amazing!

• LDG

Nice work! Here’s are some quick thoughts:

• The presentation looks great, I love the simple models and calm atmosphere
    • The camera work feels good and I like the small touches like the pulling of the flag when the ball gets close
    • Suggestion: When a hole begins, have the camera start at the hole and tween to the putter so the player can get a better sense of the way a hole is setup. (Or start zoomed out more and zoom in)
    • I found the power drag to be a little clunky. It could be my mouse, but I had a hard time getting above 50% power without multiple mouse lifts and drags. Feels like you’re fighting some invisible force trying to set the power.
    • The strokes feel like they take a little long to resolve. e.g. You wait for the ball to come to a rest (which makes sense), but then there’s a decent pause and the “-1” animation before you can putt again. I found myself wanting to take another stroke more quickly.
    • Suggestion: A feature to allow the player to take a penalty to just complete a hole if they’re having trouble. I think there’s a term for this in golf, but it escapes me. Basically, just a way for the player to keep playing if they get fed up with a hole. Seems like more fun to be able to see more content and end up with a crappy score than be stuck on a single hole.
    • I really like it! Definitely captures the feeling of mini-golf :)

• Patron

@geoffb

Thanks for taking the time to give it a go!

You’re definitely right about the invisible force, that’s somewhat intentional I was trying to create a mechanic which instead of relying on timing sliders in bars like typical golf games, gave you the feeling of winding up a swing, maybe it’s pulling too hard or shouldn’t try and reset until after you idle at a power level. I shall think on this!
    I was going to include a mouse sensitivity setting and complete forgot about it, doh!

I’ll see what I can do about decreasing the time between shots, that whole part of the code is a bit of a mess!

If you take more than 6 shots the game automatically progresses to the next hole, if you knew that in advance would you still want the ability to skip ahead?

Thanks again!

• LDG

@islipaway said:

If you take more than 6 shots the game automatically progresses to the next hole, if you knew that in advance would you still want the ability to skip ahead?

Hmmm, maybe. I think I’d personally like the option of taking a mulligan anytime after par perhaps. Either way (displaying strokes until auto-advancement or having a skip button) requires some new UI, which isn’t always ideal. But of the two, I’d rather be in control so that I could either skip without having to take N more shots to hit six OR keep taking strokes to beat the damn hole. In the case where the player chooses to skip, you could still give them a penalty equal to six strokes.

All that said, it would actually need more UI to have the choosable option because you’d probably want a confirmation dialog saying “Do you really want to skip to the next hole and take a N stroke penalty?”.

Also, I tend to overthink/complicate things :)

• Patron

Ah! A pop up which asks if you want to take a mulligan after par is a good idea (could also disable it in options). I like it! At the moment the strokes do count down to 0 (that’s what the -1 animation is about… that and hiding the fact it takes a while to properly lerp the club back to the proper location)

I’ve put this project on the back burner while I polish up a game jam game I worked on recently that’s got my and the other guy that I made it with a little excited. Going to take another look at PPPP once I’ve had a bit more time to detach myself!

• Aww no mac client, bummer.

The screenshots look really nice though :)

• Patron

Sorry! I don’t have a mac to test it on!

• Tiger Hat

@islipaway I just make the build and hope for the best :)

Currently having yet another argument with Apple hardware - it has been a bane of mine for 30 years.