Lostcast 163: Triagecast

• LDG

• Patron

Nice episode! I think I’m going to enjoy this game more than AWL1. AWL1 was far too difficult for me to enjoy. Absolutely brutal. AWL2 / Soul Thief seems like it will be better adjusted to my prefer way of gaming: mildly inebriated.

So many decisions are made during game dev! You just don’t realize it when playing a game the untold millions of little decisions that were made to deliver the entertainment. Tweaks here. Tweaks there. Abandoned efforts. Performance tuning. Good stuff.

• Jammer

@dannagle said:

AWL2 / Soul Thief seems like it will be better adjusted to my prefer way of gaming: mildly inebriated.

You’re not alone Mr.Nagle. Not alone indeed.

• Jammer

All I want to do is write paragraphs about this cast- but I’ll leave it as, I love it.

Really into the corpse reuse, the trinket that lets you see the lute (proximity defeats the example you guys gave about do I want to cross this gap to kill that thing? but all in all I like the idea of seeing the lute), the possession of everything sounds awesome (but I was always under the impression that the traps, turrets, ice boxes just didn’t seem like they were a proper vessel for raga thematically, but more is better right?).

“You can see how the sausage is made and be disgusted by it.”

Great stuff guys!

Really looking forward to today’s alpha, and to EARLY ACCESS some day :D

• LDG

@dannagle said:

Nice episode! Soul Thief seems like it will be better adjusted to my prefer way of gaming: mildly inebriated.

Thanks Dan! Haha that’s how I prefer to game, too, especially when playing online multiplayer games :3

• LDG

@Vox said:

All I want to do is write paragraphs about this cast- but I’ll leave it as, I love it.

That says a lot, thanks!

(proximity defeats the example you guys gave about do I want to cross this gap to kill that thing? but all in all I like the idea of seeing the lute)

Hm, that’s a good point. We’ve been struggling recently with needing more items, but items that are new and different are more difficult to implement, at a point in development when time is precious. It’s pushing us towards either making samey items (not great) or trying to find new/interesting areas to explore that are also quick to develop, which itself takes time. Tricky balance!

(but I was always under the impression that the traps, turrets, ice boxes just didn’t seem like they were a proper vessel for raga thematically, but more is better right?).

Consistency is important to us. Recently we’ve been discussing edge cases, and how we don’t like them ;) They confuse the design (and players!). So if you can possess one inanimate object trying to kill you, why not another?

The “more content” side of it is a nice bonus! Content is King™ etc.

• Jammer

@richtaur

It’s pushing us towards either making samey items (not great) or trying to find new/interesting areas to explore that are also quick to develop, which itself takes time. Tricky balance!

I could only imagine. My projects pale in comparison to your guys’s and constantly even the little things are such time sinks. I just want to ensure that you guys know it sounds awesome to me :D

Consistency is important to us. Recently we’ve been discussing edge cases, and how we don’t like them ;)

I agree. The reality is my intuition tells me “I can’t possess that turret” but someone else’s might tell them the exact opposite, so I agree 100%. Why have edge cases? Why have a situation where you can’t possess something because reasons instead of reasons like them being a boss, which I mean c’mon, of course you can’t possess the boss ;)

Anyway thanks for the reply!

Alpha12. Cursed Courtyard. Cant wait…

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

We’ve been struggling recently with needing more items, but items that are new and different are more difficult to implement, at a point in development when time is precious. It’s pushing us towards either making samey items (not great) or trying to find new/interesting areas to explore that are also quick to develop, which itself takes time. Tricky balance!

Are you still pitching for Early Access? You could front-load that with more samey items, and push the more complicated stuff for the release version (although, a small collection of front-loaded unique items would be cool).

This means you can get stuff out, and also, when the game is in Early Access, you can make a song and dance about the new stuff added in. “Oh, they just added a flame thrower that shoots roast chickens? I’m going to have to play through again!”.

The same could be said for the dungeons, they’re in a fairly playable state now, but they’re not going to suffer from more content (so long as you don’t just flood rooms with content).

About the levels, have you considered internal walls? Having walls, or pillars to duck behind would add an extra dimension to play - and seems to be missing.

• Listen… if you can’t possess a boss because he’s too big to fit the doors, HOW DID HE GET THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE? Wow, I can’t believe the kind of suspension of disbelief you guys expect of us.

• @dannagle I agree, it sounds a lot more fun. Excited to see what comes out of it! :)

• Jammer

Quick thought(s):

• Turret possession has a two stage attack system. Hit the movement input to un-root yourself ( this takes a brief animation to get un-rooted, but then you have like clang-y pipe legs or something ) so you can run around, hit x to root yourself, once rooted you can attack by hitting x again, but you have to be rooted to attack.
    • I feel like I’ve seen the player die when possessing a healthy chicken and only got hit once ( I could be very wrong here )- but for speed run/silliness, maybe the headless chicken could be the fastest possessable entity in the game, like by enough to make it worth it. So speed running with it would be hilarious and awesome.

Okay I think that’s all :)

• LDG

@salmonmoose said:

Are you still pitching for Early Access? You could front-load that with more samey items, and push the more complicated stuff for the release version (although, a small collection of front-loaded unique items would be cool).

Yeah we’re preparing for EA now. It makes sense to push some stuff out, but we also want to put our best foot forward – what we’ve heard from other sources is that your EA launch is your “real” launch and the full release launch later isn’t necessarily going to be any better.

This means you can get stuff out, and also, when the game is in Early Access, you can make a song and dance about the new stuff added in. “Oh, they just added a flame thrower that shoots roast chickens? I’m going to have to play through again!”.

I like that a lot, I think there’s good value in having strong updates during EA.

About the levels, have you considered internal walls? Having walls, or pillars to duck behind would add an extra dimension to play - and seems to be missing.

There are internal walls (more like Zelda-style blocks, really) but they don’t benefit from the advanced tile drawing of the exterior walls.

Soul Thief blocks

• LDG

@sven said:

Listen… if you can’t possess a boss because he’s too big to fit the doors, HOW DID HE GET THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE? Wow, I can’t believe the kind of suspension of disbelief you guys expect of us.

haha DAMN what an oversight!!

• LDG

@Vox said:

• Turret possession

Sounds cool! We want to add a “siege tank” to the eventual playroom dungeon, and we were picturing some kind of “mode” toggling like that. A default movement mode, and then an immobile attacking mode. funnnn

• I feel like I’ve seen the player die when possessing a healthy chicken and only got hit once ( I could be very wrong here )- but for speed run/silliness, maybe the headless chicken could be the fastest possessable entity in the game, like by enough to make it worth it. So speed running with it would be hilarious and awesome.

Yeah the chicken is kind of an edge-case right now. Perhaps when you get hit as the chicken, instead of just dying, you should become a headless chicken, which never stops moving. Would make some rooms really challenging!

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

Yeah we’re preparing for EA now

Hoe-Leigh-shi- so psyched!!

instead of just dying, you should become a headless chicken, which never stops moving

Sounds really good. I like the idea of the useless chicken, having at least one very risky use :D Can’t wait to play this game!!

• Tiger Hat

@sven said:

Listen… if you can’t possess a boss because he’s too big to fit the doors, HOW DID HE GET THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE? Wow, I can’t believe the kind of suspension of disbelief you guys expect of us.

How do you think they get cranes to the top of buildings? :)

• Patron

@richtaur said:

Yeah the chicken is kind of an edge-case right now. Perhaps when you get hit as the chicken, instead of just dying, you should become a headless chicken, which never stops moving. Would make some rooms really challenging!

Haha, that sounds pretty fun, maybe if you also allowed some control to guide the running but the inputs were reversed (or randomly reassigned so it’s not the same every time) it could give you a chance to get back out but feel chaotic.

With regard to possessing turrets, perhaps things you can’t possess you should just bounce off of, rather than slip through. What happens if you shoot your soul at the wall? Also does the soul act like a boomerang or does it just instantly return to your body? Having it act like a boomerang could open up some puzzle mechanics.

• LDG

Yeah I like the boomerang idea, and I’ve nagged Geoff about it ;) But I think it’s one of those things that’s surprisingly complicated (and slightly buggy from the original game) so we’ve pushed it back for now. I want to see it eventually tho :D

• Tiger Hat

Another great cast

I like the corpse to gold wand, also maybe a resurrect wand, let you bring something back to possess (maybe to do an optional puzzle, and you accidentally killed them before).

Another thought I had is about boss possession. The things that are in the mansion are already animated because of curses or evil spirits right? Well, what if as you enter each room you see a very brief animation of some dark souls entering each monster. When you possess one you are kicking that soul out, and perhaps it would float around, kind of like the ghosts in awl1. Ragas body has an amulet of protection that prevents the recently booted spirit from jacking his body. So, the boss soul is too large/strong to get booted (or perhaps it can be, but you can’t fit out the door). There could possibly be some items that were not possessed in the room already. So that maybe there are say only 5 dark souls, but 8 objects (pig heads, ink wells,etc.) when you possess something and the spirit is ejected then it could hop into an available host within x time or it dissipates (or maybe it stays around forever until there is a host). Could also be fun if Raga had some kind of spirit vacuum that he could use like a ghostbusters to clean the mansion up. Ooh or bring back the tongue mechanic and name the game Soul Eater instead 🙂

• @salmonmoose By assembling it piece for piece. THAT’S MONSTROUS.

• @richtaur
    Yeah, you could have tiny openings where you’d have to throw your soul against the wall to bounce off and into the thing you want to possess.
    However, it’s odd that a soul should be able to bounce off anything. Other games that had soul/possession mechanics are Prey and Beyond: Two Souls, and while wildly different, could be sources of inspiration.
    How about adding portals, like in Portal. You could open a portal to another room, then throw possession through the portal. Preeetty difficult to implement, though.