Rough Prototype Feedback

• Tiger Hat

Howdy,

In an effort to be more productive in 2016 and break a very bad habit of mine, I’ve been going through unfinished / half finished / rough prototypes on my hard drive. This game was a quick idea I threw together for the last js13k contest but like and work got in the way of exploring it any further and until now I’m the only one who has played it.

So I spent a bit of time putting in a basic instructions/walk through this morning. It’s all really rough and I apologize for that but it would sit on my laptop otherwise until I felt “happy” with it. I’m terrible at hanging on to things and falling into these loops of “I’ll add in this and then it’ll be ready…”.

The basic mechanic is that you drop bombs to blow up enemies who are trying to hunt you down but to move the bombs into an enemy’s path you have to move in the opposite direction to the bomb.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated but I’m primarily focused on the idea rather than the visuals HERE

• Jammer

Anyone gonna beat this?
    bomb
    I AM THE BOMBER MAN!!1!

I liked it! I can see some potential here. It was a little hard at first to realize the enemies were removing the cells they walk through. I thought it was pretty darn fun for a little prototype, great stuff! :D

• Tiger Hat

@Vox thanks for playing it! I really appreciate it.

I was a little nervous about posting it - “F*ck what if someone looks at all that terrible code…they’ll think I’m an idiot” :P However part of what I’m trying to do is get over that feeling as well as get beyond the feeling that things have to be perfect and polished (nothing will ever get done if I wait for that).

I’ve had a few people play it locally on my laptop and the general response has been good. I know there are loads of things that I can improve. I intend to ditch all the prototype code and re-write it using Phaser (I’m quite comfortable with using it) as well as adding in a couple of different (movement based), some power ups - blast radius, more bombs per direction maybe - audio and " general fanciness".

• Jammer

@anthony said:

I was a little nervous about posting it - “F*ck what if someone looks at all that terrible code…they’ll think I’m an idiot” :P However part of what I’m trying to do is get over that feeling as well as get beyond the feeling that things have to be perfect and polished (nothing will ever get done if I wait for that).

I cannot agree more- I have the exact same issue. I’ll do something I’m proud of, then self deprecate for like 20 minutes because I feel if anyone saw it they’d be like “Wait this is supposed to be a game? Lol, oh you’re serious…”.

I’ll say this though, @richtaur and @geoffb are right, the end user doesn’t give a sh-coin about the code behind. I’m into game dev, I make games as a hobby, and all I did was load up your game and play it. You could literally have an infinite if else chain runnin’ this bad boy, and I’d have no idea. All I know is it’s fun. Like truly. I played the first time, and was like “Wtf.” then played again and was like “Oh.” then played again and was like “OOOooooooohhhhhhh. I’ma ef these little squares up.” An enjoyable 5 minute chunk of my day.

general fanciness

Awwww yeah son! Get fancy with it. I can’t wait to see!

My take away from all this is, lets just say you never do anything with it, you never fancy it up, and it becomes a forgotten project, at least you put it out there. Sometimes “I’ll just polish this up a bit then post it” never gets polished up, so no one ever gets to play it. I for one am glad I got to see this, good stuff. If you come out with any more, be sure to post, I’ll be waiting ;)

• Jammer

Okay I’m done now:
    Imgur

• Tiger Hat

It was pretty good for a rough prototype. I played a couple of rounds. One thing to note, I originally was viewing these posts on my ipad, and well I’m sure you can guess that I wasn’t able to play :) So any kind of on screen buttons or touch controls would be nice I think.

• Tiger Hat

@Warspawn thanks for giving it a play and for the feedback I really appreciate it.

I’ll have a look at touch controls for sure, originally it was going to be a desktop category entry and I wasn’t so hot on virtual controls / joysticks.