Lostcast 161: Spousecast

• LDG

The LDG spouses join us for a special Valentine’s Day episode.

Kind of an oddball episode from us! If this temporary departure from the norm doesn’t float your boat, fear not – another standard tangent-filled design-and-developmentment-centric episode will reach your ears in one short week.

• Jammer

I look forward to listening. I might be disappointed if they’re not correcting your grammar every 3 minutes.

• Jammer

Woo! I really enjoyed this.
    Some quick takeaways:

• You all are adorable, each of your individual compatibility really seeps through the podcast, great stuff, very cute.
    • I think that at it’s core, having someone in your life who can relate to the world of games isn’t necessarily required to be successful in game dev, but it sure sound beneficial.
    • I do miss the “WELCOME TO LOSTCAST” intro for the rec’s.
    • I need to get my hands on one of those 100 in 1 games found in the Ark of the Covenant.
    • Geoff: “Because you’re a contrarian” Melissa: “Well yes and no”. Well played Melissa. Well played.
    • Lastly, my girlfriend is going to be so upset to hear that she wasted 8 years on getting a degree in physical therapy, because that in no way helps me make games. Oh well, she’ll just have to go back to school a few more years for a degree in HCI. You know what they say, love is sacrifice.
    • Reeeaaaly enjoyed the closing song. Reminds me of Illusion of Gaia, event though I’m sure it’s something from like Zelda and someone will be like “Idiot.” silently when reading this.

Thanks guys this was fun- now have a “Wives play AWL1 / 2!” youtube vid, so Matt and Geoff can ask them a bunch of leading questions. I’d watch that.

• Tiger Hat

Physical therapy is also very useful for people who work in games! I know my back is messed up from all the years I’ve spent hunched in front of a computer.

• Tiger Hat

1. That Jam-uary game jam thing being discussed in the other thread? The theme should be Dreamgear games! And @richtaur can finally make his donut-man game! Eh? EH?
    2. Motorcycles in WoW? What in the world?? Fun “how we met” story though!
    3. Seconding that sentiment from @Vox - I too miss the “WELCOME TO LOSTCAST” intro.

• Jammer

@andraconda said:

Physical therapy is also very useful for people who work in games!

Oh phew! Maybe there is hope after all :D

@fallse7en said:

That Jam-uary game jam thing being discussed in the other thread? The theme should be Dreamgear games! And @richtaur can finally make his donut-man game! Eh? EH?

^ Soooo in. That sounds too fun, the less sense the game makes the better, can’t wait!

• Tiger Hat

The theme of every game jam should be Dreamgear games.

• Tiger Hat

Felt like this thread needed this for posterity’s sake.

alt text

• Patron

Finally got a chance to listen to this today, nice change of pace. Made what already feels like a really personal podcast even more so!

alt text

• Tiger Hat

This was a great lostcast - I really enjoyed it. You all sound like wonderful couples :)

In relation to Scrabble / word based games, myself and my girlfriend play a version of Scrabble game we call “Ermagherd” which started as a joke but we’ve ended up playing it regularly - alcohol may or may not be involved ;-)

If you can create a word with your letters that sounds like a proper word when you run it through a text-to-speech application like Google Translate you can play the word. It’s at the discretion of your opponent if it sounds like a real word or not (can lead to the odd disagreement or two so be warned!). Scoring is the standard Scrabble rules.

Here’s a photo of the last time we played:

Ermagherd

• LDG

That looks like a perfectly cromulent game!

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

That looks like a perfectly cromulent game!

It embiggens are knowledge of words!

• Tiger Hat

Very nice cast! I feel even closer now to my secret internet friends. Really cool that you guys both not only have supportive wives, but gamer wives :)

My wife and I didn’t meet in an MMO, however we got to know each other more through an MMO, good 'ol Evercrack 1 :)

I think that probably the only way to be married and actually also be able to play a MMO is if you both play, otherwise too much life is consumed by an MMO hehe…

Now we just need the Morse-cast and we’ll have the family complete.

• Jammer

I’m not sure why we’re posting pictures of penguins… but this was my Valentine Day tweet. Feel the love. FEEL IT, DAMMIT!!!
    alt text

• Patron

OMFG, @Macaronee!!!
    I think you’ve got a new profile pic…

• LDG

Here’s a Yellow-eyed penguin that @Macaronee and I saw during our trip to New Zealand:

Yellow-eyed Penguin

• Jammer

Damn who took that picture?! I didn’t know there were penguins in New Zealand!

• LDG

@Vox I did! NZ is pretty far south so there are a few different kinds of penguins that can be found there.

• Jammer

Ha awesome pic! If this whole game dev thing doesn’t pan-out it looks like you have a promising future in photography!

Hmm for some reason that sounds insulting when I read it back- point is, nice pic, it looks right out of a National Geographic mag ;)

• Patron

Haha, I posted that penguin photo as it’s a penguin that comes from South American, which seemed relevant to the podcast content but maybe it was a bit abstruse!

• I enjoyed spousecast. Didn’t think I would, but I really did. :)