Launching my first HTML5 game! (On iOS and Android)

• Hey handsome and attractive lost cast listeners, I have been wrapping up my first game “Reach for the Star” and I wanted to share it with the community because Lost Cast really helped motivate me to just “Ship it”.

I wont try to sell you guys the game but I will talk about the tech behind it. (You can see it in action here )

Its using HTML5 Canavs & JavaScript (Duh), the framework I chose was iioEngine because at the time it offered the best Box2D + Canvas integration. After made the initial tech demo I decided to try and port it to iOS and Android using CocoonJS and it worked surprisingly well! I then integrated ChartBoost + MoPub ads into it using the CocoonJS ad library and boom! I made an actual game that will be on iOS and Android later this quarter knock wood

I cant offer download links as atm because it is in my publishers hands so got to wait for them to launch it.

Any questions about this I am more than willing to answer!

Again thanks so much to Matt and Geoff for showing us that its Possible to make great games in HTML5!

• Jammer

Great job shipping it!! It looks like a block stacking blast :D Seriously excellent job. It looks very polished and complete. Really well done.

• Tiger Hat

very nice! that does look like fun!

once it’s released you’ll have to post a link so we can play, awesome that it’s in HTML5

so, want to talk about how you designed the puzzles? are they random? did you have to spend hours and hours building them by hand so that you knew they were achievable? how does that work? :)

• @Vox said:

Great job shipping it!! It looks like a block stacking blast :D Seriously excellent job. It looks very polished and complete. Really well done.

Thanks dude!

@Warspawn said:

once it’s released you’ll have to post a link so we can play, awesome that it’s in HTML5

Defo I will post a link once my publisher has ironed out our contract.

so, want to talk about how you designed the puzzles? are they random? did you have to spend hours and hours building them by hand so that you knew they were achievable? how does that work? :)

I’m glad you asked because this was an interesting issue.

At first they were just boxes I created with code like this;

//level 1 blocks
    createBox(20px,50px);
    createBox(70px,30px);

but as you could imagine this quickly became hard to maintain and even harder to design properly. So then I made a little script that would record my mouse clicks on the canvas, once I stopped recording it would take all the mouse points I clicked and build a box2D polygon and pop it on the canvas. After that a level looked like this;

var lvl1Blocks = [{pos:{x:2,y:4},vecs:[{x:-34,y:-23},{x:23,y:-33},{x:-34,y:23},{x:34,y:23}],color:'red'},{pos:{x:2,y:4},vecs:[{x:-64,y:-53},{x:53,y:-63},{x:-64,y:23},{x:34,y:23}],color:'blue'}];

/*A function which loops though all the array elements and makes box2D polygons accordingly */
    scene.createBlocks(lvl1Blocks); 

This allowed me to rapidly prototype different block sizes and quickly see how easy it is to stack them up to win the level. I did have an automated system to work out the minimum amount of blocks of a given size would be needed to win, but the levels all came off the same, so i decided to hand craft them using my little block maker code.

• Tiger Hat

wow, so all hand crafted… how many levels are there? I’ve often wondered about physics games like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope. I suppose they really need to be hand crafted to have any chance of being fun. I suppose they also have a large team of designers cranking out levels. :)

ok, more questions: how long was your total dev time? did you make all the art yourself?

• @Warspawn
    24 levels in total, if the game gets x downloads I will launch A free levels update to add more as I had a few which didn’t make the initial cut.

The game has been in development for over a year but it only would take ~6 months to make it if I worked on it full time (I had many periods of not working on this game if my 9 - 5 job got too busy).

As for art it was all me, I did everything but the music, that’s done by Eric Matyas over at http://soundimage.org/