Art Jam-uary Contest

• LDG

As brought up in the Art improvement thread, and discussed on Lostcast 154, here it is … !

Art Jam-uary

Art Jam-uary

What: Submit a single piece of artwork representing your favorite video game.
    When: January 1st-January 31st. All of January!
    Why: For practice, and to compete for humble prizes:

1st prizeAn avatar in the style of A Wizard’s Lizard 2, and 3 Steam keys for A Wizard’s Lizard.
    2nd prize2 Steam keys for A Wizard’s Lizard.
    3rd prizeA Steam key for A Wizard’s Lizard.

(Steam keys giftable; top 3 images will also be discussed on Lostcast!)

How to enter: Post your image in this thread. (markdown syntax)
    How to vote: Upvote the image(s) you like in this thread. Highest votes win!

GLHF!

• Jammer

A JAR OF JAM!

Okay, I am gonna do my best- thanks for making this a thing. I do really hope this goes well, as an LDG game jam in the future sounds really fun and cool.

LET THE ARTENING BEGIN!

• Tiger Hat

This is exciting! I’m looking forward to see who submits what. Prizes be darned, it’ll be great to see some community spirit at work.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur Is this a new art thread? Or is pre-existing work acceptable?

• Tiger Hat

Exciting! Totally going to get involved!

• LDG

@salmonmoose said:

@richtaur Is this a new art thread? Or is pre-existing work acceptable?

Prior work acceptable. Submit whatever you’d like! Though in the spirit of art improvement, I do suggest creating something new. Maybe iterate on a piece you liked?

• Patron

Huh… guys…

What happens if everyone upvotes all the other entries?

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur that would imply I wasn’t perfect first time everytime ;) - it was more, I don’t have time, but have stuff that matches the theme :)

• Tiger Hat

@Josue I suspect the best solution is for Matt and Geoff to select winners - I’m fairly certain they’re not interested in the prizes :D

• Patron

@salmonmoose said:

I’m fairly certain they’re not interested in the prizes :D

Well, judging by those who I befriended on Steam, most of us also aren’t xD

• Jammer

Do we have anywhere to post WIPs? Or are we just going to post a final product at the end? I kinda want to see what everyone else is doing… or post the ones I did that I didn’t like.

• LDG

Feel free to post it here, just say that it’s a WIP. There’s also the Art improvement thread.

• Any extra points if the character is from AWL? :)

• Jammer

Going to see if I can do Corvo from dishonored. Definitely going to have to find me some reference material :)

• Jammer

I’ve pathetically spent about 16 hours thus far working on my entry. I am equally close to submitting it as is, tweaking it until my eyes bleed, or deleting the file and starting over…

Yay art!

• LDG

@MaverickTales said:

Any extra points if the character is from AWL? :)

Welcome to the forum! and I can’t speak for anyone else but AWL fan art pretty much gets a guaranteed upvote from me ;)

• @richtaur Thanks for the welcome. I’m a big fan of the podcast and have been listening for a little over a year now. I dont get to game often these days but I finally played awl… it’s awesome! I was doing well until I attacked the shop keeper. Needless to say I won’t be doing that again :) . Anyways I’m really enjoying watching you guys develop awl2. Keep up the great work!

• Jammer

So I thought long and hard about this. I wanted to wait until the 15th, or maybe the end of Jamuary to post, but I’ve spent roughly 18 hours total on this and whether it wins or not I just really wanted to share this with you all.

Here it goes:
    Glenn

Chrono trigger was my favorite game growing up. Above is my absolute favorite character from the game, Glenn (Frog). It is the first game I’ve ever beaten, and the only traditional RPG I’ve beaten multiple times. From it’s music to it’s altruistic story this game, to me anyway, is a masterpiece. I hope you guys enjoy the art, although it doesn’t represent the game as a whole, this is the most ambitious project both in size and in effort I have ever attempted in anything art related. I hope this is a good entry and good luck to everyone participating :)

EDIT:
    This was done with a mouse and Microsoft Paint, nothing else. I intend to post a few WIP posts in the art improvement thread soon. If anyone has any tips on how to improve my work, whether technical advice, or software alternatives, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks!

• Jammer

Mouse & Paint? You know, i think self-torture is considered illegal.

I have to confess: I’ve never played chrono trigger :(

• Jammer

Oh man you really should! Even on an emulator. It has a timeless story and in my opinion is just very enjoyable. Great music, and pretty good visuals. It is considered one of the easier RPG’s out there, but all in all the combat was pretty cool as you could use multiple members of your team in dual and triple strikes that were pretty fun to see how each of your party members worked together. Many different endings, and a variety of choices that change the outcome of the game. Nostalgia is an interesting force in our lives, so you may not love it as I do, but if you do play just be ready for Glenn’s entrance- it’s epic.

• Tiger Hat

Does it suffer from the impenetrable upfront backstory that afflicts so many JRPGs?