Working on an entry for libgdx jam, month long jam

• Jammer

http://itch.io/jam/libgdxjam/topic/12413/last-resort

Can see my updates there, making a little space game on collecting objects & navigating around planets/obstacles. Using box2d to get the ship physics going was pretty easy. Need to start populating a map properly, and adding actual things to collect. Maybe an arrow or something on where you ferry objects back to.

• Jammer

Great start! Can’t wait to see it finished!

• LDG

Very cool! Good luck with the jam and let us know how it’s going :)

• Jammer

My jam entry has been uploaded! http://agmcleod.itch.io/lastresort i’m pretty happy with how it turned out, though some of the physics still feels weird & hard to control. A bit janky at times as well. I just need to get better at knowing what joints to use and how to make things work the way I want them to with 2d physics engines.

• LDG

Nice, @agmcleod! The initial VO is a nice touch; Having listened to a few #1GAM keynotes, I recognized the voice right away :)

When you rotate, the ship is rotating around the object in tow and rotating around its own center. I think it would have been easier to control with only one of those cases being true.

• Jammer

@geoffb agreed. I tried different lower & upper angle values, and it was rather tricky to decide what was right. I tried flipping them at one point, but the ship entirely would circle around the object (orject wouldnt move).

I also really enjoyed making the music on sunday. Grabbed a couple ipad apps i had purchased previously. Grabbed a new one that acts as a midi controller, so i can record audio output through the lightning cable on my mac. Worked decently well :)

• Jammer

Well done!! I finally got my second item than crashed into one of those spiky things. I was humanity’s last hope and I blew it!

• Jammer

@Vox haha, it’s the worst. I had about 1 item left when i wanted to test the end condition, and yeah crashed into one. I like that this forces you to not go too fast, focus on control. Earlier on there was a ton of the spiky things/mines but i reduced their spawn chance to like 20%.

I wasn’t planning to add a scanner or anything to find the pieces, but it felt rather tedious to hunt them down, so that became a feature.

• Jammer

I think the scanner is good, but i really liked the arrow idea better. If you had arrows pointing to objects you could probably up the hazards a bit. If people have a clear indication of where they need to be the challenge becomes the control. Oooo! Maybe the scanner makes the arrows show up for a bit instead of the coordinates! Or maybe both!?

• Tiger Hat

What exactly is required to “bump” into the object? Running into it didn’t seem to work unless I mashed randomly on the mouse button at the same time?

• Jammer

I think you just have to click on it? But then again i only ever got two items :(

• Jammer

@salmonmoose so for the first bit when you move around, the idea is you click the object that spawns below you. It will then connect the object to you with a cable effectively. You then move the ship to bring it to the station.

@Vox arrows was something i considered, but felt like it would be more work/time to implement :)

• Jammer

Ah I understand- I get excited with suggestions. I could only imagine how Matt and Geoff feel when I throw down like 60 bullet points of my random opinions.

Anyway, good on you for finishing this project. Are you going to take it any further? Also, what happened to your snowball app/game?

• Jammer

@Vox I did a bit of refactoring last night, as I want to start holding myself to a higher standard of code, in my own projects and that. I might continue working on it, not sure yet. I’m going to resume working on my snowball game in the next couple of days, maybe tonight even. I have some serious maths to sort out with that game :)

• Tiger Hat

Congrats on finishing a game! I finally got a chance to try it out last night and I thought it was pretty fun. The towing mechanic was pretty interesting. I’m currently building a space game that also uses the top-down perspective and have been playing with the idea of towing wrecked ships and such, but was a little bit hesitant to actually make the move because towing things seemed like it would be pretty complicated to code. Did you spend a lot of time tweaking that code or did it work out pretty naturally for you?

• Jammer

Hey thanks! Glad you enjoyed it :)

For the towing, it definitely took me some time to figure out. With box2d, i knew that I would have to use joints. At first i tried using only joints, but then realized that i needed a body in between (the cable) to connect both bodies. You could potentially use a rope joint or something more sophisticated as well.

Really from there I just had to play with it. To be honest I still feel like it needs a lot of work, but it’s workable for now.