IT'S PLAY TEST WEDNESDAY!!!

• Jammer

Guys, it’s play test Wednesday. I can’t wait to see that new game play vid! Tuesday and Wednesday are now my favorite days of the week! Also, listening to Knockback Attack as I write this!
    P.s. Matt you do a great you impression!
    P.p.s. How many exclamation points can I write!?!

• LDG

while (1) { console.log("!"); }

Great to hear! I’m looking forward to it too – there’s a bunch of new features, improvements, and even mechanic tweaks to show off. Also this weak we gotta show the possession hook.

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

while (1) { console.log("!"); }

Don’t crash the interwebs Matt.

Look man. Maybe I shouldn’t say this, but I’m gonna coin-in’ say it anyway. This game. This game is it, and you can take that to the bank… I mean, you wont get anything for it, but you can sure as hell take it there. Anyway, can’t wait to see what you guys got goin’ on. I’m teeming with anticipation. Teeming.

• Jammer

• Jammer

I’m writing this as I watch.

1. Knockback! Nice!! It looks fun and smooth!
    2. New parallax background looks reeeal nice. In a game if something looks like I’m able to get it, I will lose my mind trying to get it.
      3)Wand switching looks really good. I like when things bubble up like that. Lol, that trail of wands is a must, sorry guys.
    3. I really like the idea of possessing a pig-head to get something over a pit, or maybe to cross a pit otherwise not cross-able.
    4. LOL! That table.
    5. Hmm, I think it’s interesting that you keep your wands when you are possessing a monster. But do you think this will detract from wanting to be Raga, instead of a monster? I guess the question I’m asking is, why be Raga at all?
    6. Raga’s spirit can open chests. To me it seems more choice invoking that only a physical body could open a chest, so you’d have to go find and grab a pig head, or some other floating monster to get the chest.
    7. Great idea with the channeling bar for possess/de-possess. I could only imagine the frustration that would ensue if I had 1 spirit left and accidentally hit the button and was effed because of it.

I know I said a lot of stuff there- I really hope that this input is okay. The last thing I’d want is to bother you guys with things that jump out at me, when you’ve already thought about them 100 times more than I have. Anyway, great vid!
    CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY!

• Tiger Hat

From a gameplay point of view, I don’t think you should be giving people a spirit from a partially used Raga.

Getting a single spirit by sacrificing a fresh Raga is a give-and-take, you lose that free 100% health, but gain a spirit.

I too am not fond of the wand carrying mobs, it looks like everything just becomes Raga with a more powerful tail-whip.

I feel like the progress bar for channeling doesn’t fit well (although, I have no problem with them for health) perhaps an animation?

• LDG

@Vox said:

1. Hmm, I think it’s interesting that you keep your wands when you are possessing a monster. But do you think this will detract from wanting to be Raga, instead of a monster? I guess the question I’m asking is, why be Raga at all?

Yeah that’s a genuine concern. Gotta find a good balance between the game feeling different enough when you play as a monster, but not so different that it’s hard to play. We’ll discuss this!

1. Raga’s spirit can open chests. To me it seems more choice invoking that only a physical body could open a chest, so you’d have to go find and grab a pig head, or some other floating monster to get the chest.

Good point, we are moving towards the Raga ghost being more ephemeral and maybe not being able to have much effect on the real world at all.

I know I said a lot of stuff there- I really hope that this input is okay. The last thing I’d want is to bother you guys with things that jump out at me, when you’ve already thought about them 100 times more than I have. Anyway, great vid!

Yes INDEED keep it coming! The input and encouragement is super helpful and we’re grateful to get it.

CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY!

\o/

• LDG

@salmonmoose said:

From a gameplay point of view, I don’t think you should be giving people a spirit from a partially used Raga.
    Getting a single spirit by sacrificing a fresh Raga is a give-and-take, you lose that free 100% health, but gain a spirit.

Cool we’ll keep that in mind.

I too am not fond of the wand carrying mobs, it looks like everything just becomes Raga with a more powerful tail-whip.

Yeah it’s a good point. We’ll be thinking about how to handle this.

I feel like the progress bar for channeling doesn’t fit well (although, I have no problem with them for health) perhaps an animation?

I was picturing maybe a circular progress indicator under the player … but that might interfere with the “hero circle” or whatever that’s called. Player circle. Honestly I don’t have any great ideas outside of maybe just a spruced up progress bar :/

• Tiger Hat

Just to be clear, I REALLY like what I’m seeing, but I’m being a hard-ass because I’m hoping you want to make the best game you can.

• LDG

We do! Thanks for pushing us :) Keep that ass hard.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

Keep that ass hard.

You may want to think about the phrasing of that ;)

• Tiger Hat

So after much pressing I forked out the giant sum of $1 to give AWL a shot - and had a lot of fun in it (more-so than BoI).

With your elements system, do you think it would be appropriate to be able to disable/destroy traps based on attack type? For instance, spider webs are somewhat annoying but super flammable, so a fire attack could set them on fire, but other attacks would be completely ignored? Not only would your effectiveness against enemies be determined by your chosen attacks, but your effectiveness against the environment itself.

• LDG

Yeah I think that would be super cool. We’ve also talked about ideas like if you shoot certain projectiles over torches, instead of damaging the torches they pick up a fire trait and deal extra red damage. Monsters too! Elements are fun :3

• Jammer

First of all, I’m a child but-
    @richtaur
    Keep that ass hard.

lol.

Secondly, I do like the idea of different elements effecting different things. I am sure all this is complex, but the system you guys created does seem to be ripe for a rock-paper-scissors execution. Also, this would likely make things even more complicated- but would if you guys had some weapons that costed 2, or even 3 different mana types? I’m just throwing it out there, but maybe some very rare powerful wands exist that use more than one mana type? I think that could be cool, but I also think that not having it may be even cooler because it puts more focus on the use of specific mana. All in all I feel like your guys’s game has a lot of choice potential, and I love that. I love the concept of player identity and I would say that for me as a player, that is my most important aspect of a game. When I play a game I want to feel like I’m playing it different than anyone else (even though I’m likely not playing it different than anyone else). So yeah, long post summary, I like your game and I like that it has choices.

Can’t wait for the next Lostcast and PLAYTESTWEDNESDAY!!!

• Patron

I happened to rewatch the Kickstarter video just before looking at this one, and its really striking how much more interesting the gameplay is looking now!

• LDG

Thanks David! Related: I saw this Reddit thread and it got me thinking … this time … !