GitKraken

• LDG

I have some beta invites for GitKraken, a cross-platform git GUI. (It uses Electron under the hood)

Shoot me your email address if interested. Send me an email or DM me on Twitter if you don’t want to post your email address here.

• LDG

send one to your co-worker!

• Patron

@richtaur said:

send one to your co-worker!

You mean… Mojito?

• Jammer

@geoffb said:

Send me an email

Jerk doesnt follow me on twitter :’( can’t send a DM.

Kidding aside, email sent! Thanks Geoff.

• LDG

@agmcleod said:

Jerk doesnt follow me on twitter :’( can’t send a DM.

Whoops! Following now :)

• Tiger Hat

Awesome, hadn’t heard of this! I’m excited to hear what you all think. We use command line but man the learning curve is quite an obstacle for people new to the project + git.

• Tiger Hat

My CLI git-fu is at a standard where I couldn’t actually work out what I’d use Kraken for - what are your use-cases @geoffb ?

• LDG

@salmonmoose said:

My CLI git-fu is at a standard where I couldn’t actually work out what I’d use Kraken for - what are your use-cases @geoffb ?

I mainly like GUI clients for reviewing diffs and history. On OSX, I use Kaleidoscope (which I love), but I haven’t found something as nice for Windows.

I’ve been using cmdr and going 100% CLI, but I can’t stand reading diffs in the terminal. For now I’m liking the GitKraken experience on Windows better, but we’ll see if it lasts.

• Jammer

On mac i tried git tower, which is pretty nice. I think my barrier to using gui clients is that i have to learn how to use it, where as CLI is always consistent, and I know it quite well. Tried out GitKraken last night, had trouble figuring out what changes im staging, and what the commands are, etc. I found it a bit better using IntelliJ on the weekend for libgdxjam. But again that would run warnings & compile checks before letting me commit, so it was slow. I tried git gui for a little, and that is decent (though ugly), but again i found some commands tricky to do.

• Tiger Hat

Just read an article about consistent git commit messages where they mention that CLI can’t be beat. Reminded me of this threat. I’m curious how this is working for you guys a month in? Anyone still using?

• LDG

@lucasblucas GitKraken has a nice commit message input where it separates the subject from the body. IIRC, it warns you when your subject is > 80 characters, too.

That said, I haven’t been using it much. I’ve been using my MBP a bit more recently and my git flow there is CLI + Kaleidoscope for diffs. When I switch back to Windows, it’s been easier to just use the CLI.

We’ve been hosting our git repos over at GitLab for a while now, which gives me a nice way to view activity and diffs which was my primary use case for GitKraken anyway.

• LDG

My Mac died recently so I’ve been using/setting up a new one, while at the same reacclimating to developing on a Windows machine. Probably because of all this new machine juggling I’m more and more wanting to keep things as minimal as possible. CLIFTW!

• Patron

@richtaur said:

My Mac died recently

R.I.P

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

I’m more and more wanting to keep things as minimal as possible. CLIFTW!

Yeah it’s hard to beat the setup of a single bash profile file.

@geoffb said:

We’ve been hosting our git repos over at GitLab for a while now, which gives me a nice way to view activity and diffs which was my primary use case for GitKraken anyway.

Wow GitLab looks really great. Though I noticed the humorous and endearing disclaimer at the top of their landing page (“Right now GitLab.com is really slow and frequently down.”). I’ll have to show this to my team. We’re pretty huge Github fanboys though so every time I upload to our private Bitbucket repo I get a twinge of guilt.