Lostcast 152: LDG Catchup 2

• LDG

• Jammer

Guys seriously. I’m so pumped for this game. I don’t know if I’m the only one who didn’t know about this, but I found this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TatMvR6TBS4

Yeah that video wow. I feel like it’s so smooth and cool. Definitely love the aesthetic, and really feel like you guys are doing a great job of conveyance. I loved this.

This podcast was great, thanks for waiting to talk about the indie cup so we could all hear this first hand. Anyway, it sounds like it was a good test of AWL2 on a broad spectrum of gamers. I feel like that even with people that aren’t completely gung ho on the twin stick shooter genre, there is a benefit of just witnessing someone experiencing your game in a raw non vetted form. After watching that video, I really feel like the knock-back you guys talked about would be a great fit, but ofc I’m just speculating.

Here’s a little sidebar, so I played AWL 1, and got excited by it being so hard. I know it drew some of it’s difficulty from the player probably being over saturated with information from a lot of different kind of monsters in one room, and not having enough time to figure out what each monster did, but at the same time, it was very rewarding if I stuck to it and eventually did defeat that super difficult part of the game that killed me so many times before. I would agree that AWL 1 is in a much better place than it used to be, it feels more fluid and organized, but I just wanted to touch on that I agree with your assessment of this game should be made for some persona, and that persona I feel is someone who really wants to be challenged.

“It’s a procedurally generated- dih dhi di…” “You do a great Geoff Blaire.” LOL. Yeah he does, nails that impression every time.

I want to also touch on a topic that I heard a few lostcasts ago, and have been meaning to comment about. I absolutely would prefer a strictly seeded game play. Basically, if the game state changes based on my current health, or something of that nature, well that makes me feel like the game is dirty. But I guess inversely, if I was doing something really well, and it somehow increased my chances of getting something, well then I guess I’d be more okay with it. So after writing this out, I guess I never want to be “rewarded” for doing poorly. Not saying it couldn’t be brilliantly executed, and that some games would benefit from it, its just at this point, I feel like I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. In short, overall I would prefer a strict seeded game play which is static and repeatable.

Okay guys, well sorry for this brain dump. I’m on the edge of my seat for this, and love the little gameplay vid. AWL2 is something I talk about with people all the time, so I hope I’m contributing to a positive buzz about it. I look forward to every piece of this as it’s unveiled.

Oh and can the spirit be hurt? If so does it decrements faster, or loose some spirit, or just straight up die? I know you guys have probably thought and tested a million scenarios, but I think that either complete ‘ghost-like’ mobility, moving through everything, including pits etc. would be cool, or the concept of losing a chunk of spirit if you take dam, would both be really cool concepts to me.

Okay now I’m done.

• Jammer

The term I meant to say was deterministic randomness, not static. I still want there to be change, but I want that change to be based on something that exists in a concrete state. I may be failing in this description of my thoughts, but basically. A game where I get low on health, so things start dropping more health is unattractive to me. But a game where there is some random seed created, then the drops are based off of that very static unchanging seed for that run, is very attractive to me.

Hope this wasn’t too poorly expressed.

Now I’m done. If you read this far, thanks for reading all this and sorry for such a long post.

• LDG

@Vox said:

I absolutely would prefer a strictly seeded game play.

Hey thanks for the great comments! We will very likely stick with the same kind of generation as AWL, which is seeded. Rogue Legacy’s feature of allowing you to repeat a seed is interesting, and something our code is ready for, so that might be a possibility.

AWL2 is something I talk about with people all the time, so I hope I’m contributing to a positive buzz about it. I look forward to every piece of this as it’s unveiled.

That’s amazing, thank you! A small game like ours desperately needs the word spread, so we really appreciate that.

Oh and can the spirit be hurt? If so does it decrements faster, or loose some spirit, or just straight up die?

Right now Raga in ghost form is basically invincible and can pass over pits and through monsters. We prototyped a mechanic where spirit slowly depleted over time, which put pressure on the player to find a new vessel ASAP. But it was hard to design around, and felt especially bad in those early learning stages. The current implementation has Raga spending a spirit to possess a vessel.

The term I meant to say was deterministic randomness, not static.

Gotcha! Yeah the terminology is tough. Really appreciate your enthusiasm dude, it’s great fuel for pushing forward :D

• Jammer

Awesome! It’s very cool being able to share my thoughts with the developers of a game that I am watching be created! Thanks for your reply!

The spirit thing does sound tricky- all in all I feel having you lose spirit over time does sound really compelling, sparking a sense of urgency within the player, but I could only imagine the complications.

Anyway best of wishes for you both and things to come!

• LDG

@Vox said:

Awesome! It’s very cool being able to share my thoughts with the developers of a game that I am watching be created! Thanks for your reply!

We’re grateful for your thoughts :) Keep 'em coming.

The spirit thing does sound tricky- all in all I feel having you lose spirit over time does sound really compelling, sparking a sense of urgency within the player, but I could only imagine the complications.

Yeah it’s interesting for sure, and we are trying to get more emergency and kind of an “action” feel into the game. But a timed hard limit like that can feel pretty bad in many situations. Game design is hard !

• Jammer

You’re tellin’ me man. I, similar to many people here, have been developing “games” of my own, and I am continually stuck on MUCH more simple problems.

I know I’m reaching that point of smarm, but I can’t help but say- seeing AWL 2 in action is just awesome. I watched the video above, and the one you guys posted of pre-alpha/demo, and it was just very enjoyable. I’ve played AWL 1, and there is a lot of fun in that game, but this version just seems so polished, and it’s not even done yet. I love the art, music, sounds, theme. I love that little Raga’s are sleeping waiting to be possessed (Even if that doesn’t make it to the final version, it just looked like a neat take on how resurrecting seems to work). It’s level design seems super interesting as well, I love the slender hallways, and rooms made up of 4 turrets and some specific monsters. I love the keys going into rooms with chests. The whole game thus far just looks smooth and tight and fun and rewarding. Anyway, I know you guys have been anticipating this game as well, but for me it was like hearing about something really cool behind a curtain and only being able to imagine what was underneath, but now you guys pealed it back a little and let me have a peak, so it’s just very exciting for me.

Anyway, okay, now I’m really done. Smarm-fest 2015 is over. I’m glad things seem to be going as well as they are, and once again can’t wait to see what is to come!

• Jammer

• LDG

@Vox said:

You’re tellin’ me man. I, similar to many people here, have been developing “games” of my own, and I am continually stuck on MUCH more simple problems.

Been there, much empathy here! Feel free to use us at this community as a resource – bounce your problems off us, and maybe we can help nudge you along :)

I know I’m reaching that point of smarm, but I can’t help but say- seeing AWL 2 in action is just awesome.

Man, so great to hear! This makes me think of my childhood, eagerly awaiting games like Shining Force. I played the prior game in the series, Shining in the Darkness, to DEATH, loved it, and when the sequel was announced all the info they gave was like two sentences and a single screenshot in a magazine. Agony! But it did make getting more info about it later all the sweeter.

• LDG

@agmcleod said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvSVAt3sjU

hahaha so good. love dat meme

• Jammer

Thanks for linking to that post- shared empathy all around. I have 2 games that have lived in my head for quite some time, and every prototype is just an attempt at bringing the smallest parts of those games to life. But alas, the struggle continues. Maybe someday you guys will be eagerly awaiting something I bring into the world, but if so it seems maybe decades away.

• Tiger Hat

@Vox said:

If you’re finding that frustrating ask for help, there’s a few devs floating around here, and more on twitter. Heck stream your dev sessions on Twitch or Livecoding, I float around those streams sometimes helping out, because solving other people’s problems helps me grow as a developer.

• Jammer

That sounds great! I appreciate it. My biggest issue these days is just sitting down and doing it. For about a year I was coding every day, and then about 3 months ago I just didn’t have to motivation. I know you gotta push through those humps. Anyway, I’ve been getting pretty motivated from Lostcast and seeing snippets of AWL2, so maybe I’ll make an obligatory new years resolution to work on games again. I’ll keep you all up to date ;)

• Tiger Hat

@Vox said:

My biggest issue these days is just sitting down and doing it.

Do a game jam.

• Jammer

I absolutely should. Okay, that’s it. I’m gonna do something soon everyone! Watch out world, you’re about to get a very underwhelming potentially disappointing game to play in the near-ish future!

• LDG

@Vox said:

you’re about to get a very underwhelming potentially disappointing game to play

make this your tagline!!!1

• Jammer

Vox’s Game Studio inc.
    -Definitely underwhelming, but only potentially disappointing

I’ll have everyone on the proverbial edges of their metaphorical seats!