#LD34

• Patron

I cannot express just how excited I am for this LD!

For the first time ever, I’m doing a collab, what means people won’t have to put up with my terrible programmer art!

I contacted my good friend, Hugo, aka Toxodentrail, saying: " Hey, I’m a programmer, you’re an artist and we’re both musicians… let’s do this! " and he was immediately aboard!
    (You can see some of his art here).

Also, I’ve decided to stop trying to stubbornly write everything from scratch and just learn Phaser instead. So far, I’m LOVING it!

Here are our tools:
    Toxodentrail:

• Photoshop
    • Paint (?)
    • FL Studio with Edirol Orchestra samples
    • Famitracker (?)
    • A bunch of SNES samples
    • Novation Launchkey 49
    • Dropbox
    • Google Hangouts
    • Chrome

Thecoolestnerdguy (aka me):

• Atom
    • Chrome
    • Phaser
    • Reaper with Sonatina Orchestra samples
    • Shreddage II
    • A bunch of SNES samples
    • Famitracker (?)
    • Dropbox
    • Google Hangouts

P.S: I really hope we get “Lose abilities as you progress” as a theme.
    I wanna make an inverse Metroidvania about an aging hero!

P.P.S: My username is Thecoolestnerdguys and I’m gonna be using TCNG In the IRC.

• Tiger Hat

@josue Best of luck! I really like your friend’s art style - I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with :)

I’ll be Phaser-ing it up for this jam too. It’ll be midnight on Saturday my time when the theme is announced, in the past I’ve sat up and started working on ideas - but now I’m old and have a day job that’s not so wise :P

The tools/tech I’ll probably use are:

• Phaser
    • SublimeText (although I’m starting to like Atom, using it more and more in work)
    • MAMP
    • GIMP
    • Garageband

I’m not sure which theme I really want yet, I know I don’t want either “one massive enemy” or “build your own weapon”.

• Tiger Hat

So two themes tied! “Growing” and “two button controls” and we can use both or just one.

I wonder how many “Hundreds” style games will be made, I know that was my initial thought when I saw “growing” in the theme slaughter. I’m not incredibly inspired by either theme right now.

Funny to see that these were not the most liked but the least HATED themes: https://twitter.com/ludumdare/status/675495801615872000

I got my times totally wrong, it’s started at midnight GMT - d’oh!

• Tiger Hat

Well, I’m about as done as I can be - with one hour left, I don’t think I can add any new features.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-34/?action=preview&uid=11416

It’s sort of a snake like game, use left/right to rotate the camera, and collect blossoms and cocoons.

I’m really happy with how the vine looks when it’s well developed, nice bit of proc-gen driven by player interaction.

• Jammer

I had an idea of having a guy you control. Basically you have an attack & block weapon. Enemies come at you, and you need to time attacks accordingly. I ended up abandoning it though, as it wasn’t feeling like a strong idea to me. Also I wanted to work on my snowball game more.

@salmonmoose I found your game really cool, but lagged on my surface a bit. I kept way over steering the vine! lol

• Patron

So, here’s a funny story…

• We had four hours left.
    • I was coding like crazy.
    • Hugo was like: “Well, I’m going to bed”.
    • I was like "WTF dude, we’re already giving up? C’mon, we still have four hours left! "
    • He was like: " Wait, you mean four hours until the voting ends? "
    • I realized that he hadn’t realized the Jam had already begun.
    • I was like: " (facepalm)"
    • We both realized how BAD we are at communicating.

• Tiger Hat

I don’t even… what were you coding?

• Patron

@salmonmoose said:

I don’t even… what were you coding?

This

• LDG

We talked about communication and how hard it is … on last week’s lost Lostcast episode ;) Communication is hard!

• Tiger Hat

I got nowhere.

My brain was all "Rawr! Let’s do this."
    My head, sinuses and lungs were all like “Yeah, let’s get the flu! Wooooohooo! The Flu!”.

I might be cursed to never finish a LDJam!

• Patron

@anthony said:

I might be cursed to never finish a LDJam!

I know the feel…