Soul Thief Developer Diary

• LDG

Hey there! We’re marching towards our Indie Cup demo next week, and we’re trying to get into the habit of weekly builds. So we did our first one today!

Below is a couple screenshots and a changelog representing the works that’s been done this week. Pretty soon here we’ll begin doing a limited alpha test, and of course we’ll be asking some of you awesome folks here on the forum to play and give us your thoughts.

AWL2 tutorial

AWL2 Animated Kitchen

v0.1.0 - 2015-12-04

• 8-way animations for Raga
    • Parallax scrolling pits
    • Add fork projectiles to slime
    • Reset title scene to basics
    • Remove tail whip momentum (for now)
    • Add missing tile pit edges
    • Tutorial
    • OOM combat text
    • Show health bar on player and playerMonsters
    • Add perspective to player pointer
    • Put a keyChest in each level for now
    • Add kitchen table corpses
    • Add more markers to map (start, revive, etc.)
    • Red and Green mana regen trinkets
    • Depossess button
    • Add largePit layout
    • Add Animated Kitchen floor tile variations

• Patron

Congrats! The lighting looks really nice. I’m digging the updated HUD too.

Looking forward to this. :-)

• Patron

IT’S CHANGELOGCAST TIME!

• Tiger Hat

Wow, I’m really loving what I’m seeing so far. Best of luck to ya’ll!

• Tiger Hat

You mean trident projectiles.

• Patron

@richtaur said:

Pretty soon here we’ll begin doing a limited alpha test

← Stoked!!

• Tiger Hat

Out Of Memory combat text?

• Tiger Hat

@salmonmoose said:

Out Of Memory combat text?

prolly Mana

• Jammer

This looks effin’ great. I can’t wait to play!

Also, the use of purples and blues really creates a really nice ascetic. I feel like I havent really seen lighting like this before.

• Tiger Hat

Best of luck to Lost Decade Games today! Looking forward to what comes out of this.

• LDG

Thanks for all the positivity you guys! Your enthusiasm is appreciated and a huge motivator.

Turns out I couldn’t make the live demo (car broke down), but I still stress-woke at 7am -_-
    Sending @geoffb positive vibes!

• Patron

@richtaur This should help you next time you have car problems…

Ring of Speed

• Tiger Hat

Good luck at Indie Cup! (And is that why there was no podcast this week?)

• Patron

@fallse7en They said there is no podcast because they lost power while recording it.

• Jammer

Guys I hope it’s all going/went great! Can’t wait to here how everything went!

• LDG

This has been The Week of Problems brought to you by Life!

Yeah I hope to hear how everything went next week too. Should be a good 'cast AND we’ll have preventative measures put into place ;)

• LDG

Alpha 1 gameplay on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5janT_bMp4

Our goal is to pump one of these out each week, improving as we go along. Feedback welcome!

• Tiger Hat

Exciting! I like seeing how the art evolves between AWL1 and AWL2 - it looks like the art is more detailed and…slimmer? Things look less bubbly and “soft” I guess is how I would put it.

Is it just me or is the game constantly shaking or something? Part of it was the screen shake when you hit enemies (by the way, the screen shake from AWL1 was ON POINT), but I think another part of it might have had something to do with the lights flickering?

Anyways, looking forward to tracking the progress of this game going forward!

• Patron

I love the pop-up help of what things are and the improved HUD. The spin-tail attack for Raga is pretty neat. The art feels a bit more lizardy and polished. Actually, essentially everything has good improvements.

Still… there is one glaring flaw with this game: It is on YouTube and not on my computer!

• Tiger Hat

Watched some of it so far. First thing off the bat that I noticed is that the sounds effects are much better this time. The art has also evolved and I love the 8 way walking.

• Jammer

I thoroughly enjoyed this vid. I know there were some sound effect issues, but the sounds that did play were absolutely great. I really enjoyed seeing some of the different weapons, and I love that you can shoot down some of the projectiles the enemies fire. I am attracted to this title because I follow LDG and I want to support you, but every bit of content you guys release brings me more and more on the side of just loving this game because it looks so darn fun. I absolutely cannot wait to play.

Great stuff, and I very much look forward to the next vid!