Lostcast 151: Bosscast

• LDG

• Tiger Hat

Oddly, I just finished listening to this podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/the-game-developers-radio/exploring-design-0204-boss-battles

I think the library needs one of those giant globes it could pop open and spew lava (because, it’s a small Earth… right?)

There are invisible walls in FO3 and FO4 as well - You start right next to them in FO4.

• Patron

Interesting discussion on the boss possession idea! Definitely agree that it is a mire of potential problems, but I can see why you’re having a hard time to let the idea go as it would be really cool!

Here’s my train-of-thought-while-doing-the-laundry on how to do maybe get away with it: How about if Raga can’t possess bosses by default, but a one-shot item which strengthens his spirit (or whatever) allows it? That way we can control the boss possession through access to that item. And a follow-up; how cool would it be to have a boss battle later on where we reuse some already seen bosses, but the gimmick is that at this point in time Raga has the ability to possess one of them? Boss on boss action!

A further thought on the spirit strengthening item: instead of having that, another possibility would be to have a more general solution where Raga can only possess a given monster (or boss) after first having found a corresponding “blueprint” for their soul. That opens up some nice design space with making the players hunt for those items, and might make for a really cool wow moment for the player when he finds the item for the boss soul…

• LDG

@salmonmoose said:

I think the library needs one of those giant globes it could pop open and spew lava (because, it’s a small Earth… right?)

That sounds awesome. Or maybe the globe detaches from the stand when you (or a monster) attacks it causing the sphere to careen around the room damaging stuff.

@David I really like having items which affect the spirit/soul stuff. Also, the idea of “collecting” spirits/souls sounds fun.

• Tiger Hat

listening right now…

and I can tell you you have to be able to possess the boss at some level. :)

so here’s my thought, at least for the oven, have to work out something with others: with the oven, when you possess it, instead it spits you out as something cooked, like a pig head or a pie or whatever

I too am annoyed by Fallout 4’s invisible walls, I feel like in the past they did better like a cliff or certainly very easy in Fallout to get horribly irradiated (guess maybe the ghoul perk breaks that).

I know they have mentioned before, that they keep cutting the freedoms out, since Morrowind to Oblvion to Skyrim. for example in Morrowind you could fly, or jump super high, make all kinds of crazy spells and enchantments. Well, they said as it turns out that it’s really hard to design levels when the player can just fly over all the obstacles for example. They remove stuff (generally) to help them design more “fun” experiences, rather than being forced to do more generic levels that can survive the all powerful player.

Also in Skyrim I played an arcane archer, and you didn’t really have to stealth and plink, if you upgrade enough, you can slow down time. Basically the Skeleton knight guys would just be waking up from their coffins while I slow down time and pumped them full of arrows. DOA. I didn’t really find it tedious, I embraced my badassery :D

I’m glad that the ES6 thread has swayed you :) (that was secretly its purpose! muahhahhaha)
    I think one good reason to use modules now, even though they are not finalized in how they are loaded, is that at some point they will be the defacto module pattern, and things like require and amd, etc will be dead. If you write in ES6 modules now, your code will be “ready”. Plus, there are things available right now that enable you to load them or precompile them (again, your code is ready for the future). That being said, I do think that modules in particular are prolly best done on a new project (or a POC), next time you need to scratch that itch to test a theory, might try to setup the project using jspm and use modules :D

• Tiger Hat

… and maybe a writing desk that shoots ravens.

• Jammer

I’m glad that the ES6 thread has swayed you :) (that was secretly its purpose! muahhahhaha)

Did they talk about es6 in the podcast, did i black out for a section of it? O.o. I’ve been actually wanting to give typescript a serious try, even though melonsjs doesnt have a definition file. Just want to get my current project done first, before I do any playing with that. I mainly want to see how the filesize turns out. If polyfills add a fair bit of weight or not.

Anyways, good episode guys. With WoW, i think i was the opposite. While my goal was always to get to the end game, i think leveling is where i thrived. I didn’t feel pressure to stay online for a raid or a dungeon for 2-3 hours straight. I could just throw on some music and kill some stuff. That whole experience is where I think guild wars 2 shines. XP and kill credit is shared so long as you do damage. It’s more about events where you complete it with more than enough things in that area to complete the event. You don’t grab quests from some random NPC. It’s just so much better. I still remember back in vanilla WoW, I decided to do Marauden with some clan mates. We did both orange & purple sides. Because we wiped a few times, before I knew it hours had gone by. I think I started around midnight, planning to end by 2am or so. My dad got up early (as he always did), saw me on the computer at 4:30. I just finished shortly after that, and couldnt play the game for a week. Ugh lol

To talk about the parallax for a second, I find parallax works when we’re talking some miles off in the distance. Where you have a fair bit of separation. I guess if in a bit the parallax is very subtle it might be fine. I just fear too much will look weird. A similar sort of perspective i can think of is hammerwatch. The backdrop in the pits is static, moves with the game.

• Jammer

Great cast guys! Can’t wait to hear about Indie Cup! 3 more days, best of luck to you both!