Spelunky on sale for $3.74!

• Tiger Hat

Matt and Geoff talk about this game so much during their podcasts that I just had to check it out, especially for that price.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239350/

Any tips/tricks I should know before diving into it?

• LDG

• Don’t be reckless like me!
    • Don’t whip pots while you’re standing on them (they can spawn monsters which then damage you immediately)
    • Don’t take the Spring Boot, Climbing Gloves, or Catcher’s Mitt as they change the way you jump and throw. They can be upgrades, but they feel really different and can cause you to miss jumps, etc.

• LDG

What fun, happy spelunking!

• Prepare to die when you get to any new area. Don’t worry, it’s just because you didn’t know what anything did yet! So they get the jump on you.
    • You can hold up/down not just to look up/down but also to throw ropes, bombs up/down, even in mid-air!
    • Try killing shop keepers for fun and profit. They will WRECK YOU at first, but there are some techniques you can use to take them down reliably, and then you get access to lots of new items, and a higher difficulty! because now they will hunt you the hell down

Geoff will be like “I should have thought of this one” ;) – when going for achievements or other goals, do one at a time, do not try to do multiple achievements in a single run. Doing too much will get you killed.

• Jammer

Try killing shop keepers for fun and profit.

TIL matt is a serial killer.

Take your time, and pay attention to the environment. I’ve died to arrow traps more times than i really should.

• Tiger Hat

Played a bit yesterday. Man, I thought Rogue Legacy was punishing. The timing with the whip is still completely throwing me off (those bats! ARGHH), but I think I’ll get the hang of it with more practice.

I also get weirdly impatient with the walk speed being a bit slow for my taste, but when I run, I usually find myself hanging off of some spikes. Definitely going to have to learn to slow down and be more methodical in general I think.

Overall, pretty interseting game, and I can see why it’s brought up so often in the podcast!

• Tiger Hat

@agmcleod said:

Take your time, and pay attention to the environment. I’ve died to arrow traps more times than i really should.

Haha, I can say the same about the arrow traps in AWL as well.

• LDG

Sometimes I wish I could erase my Spelunky memory so I could experience it again :D Such great progression and learning curves.