Manga studio on sale

• Jammer

http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-5.html $15 until nov 30, not bad at all!

• LDG

$15 for software that competes with Photoshop is a steal!

• Jammer

Yes it is. Pixelmator i’d say is a better buy for mac. Was trying manga on osx last night, and the lag with my tablet was pretty bad. I was doing circles from the shoulder at a fair pace, and it was sometimes half to a full circle behind. Pixelmator and photoshop on OS X do not have this issue. On windows manga studio runs like a dream.

• LDG

I love Pixelmator, which is also $15 on the Mac App Store. (Never miss a chance to plug sweet OSX apps.)

On Windows I’m using Paint.NET, which is free and covers my basic needs.

• @geoffb said:

On Windows I’m using Paint.NET, which is free and covers my basic needs.

MS Paint, but with Layers and some other fancy tools. This is the main thing I miss from Windows.

• Patron

Gimp…?
    Inkscape…?

Sorry, I have to be the linux guy.

• LDG

+1 for Manga Studio / Clip Studio Paint. Switched a while ago and never looked back.

My favorite things:

• Vector layers! Smoothing, thickness mods, resizing, color swapping, mmmmm
    • A portable window instead of Photoshop’s head-scratching monitor take-over
    • Perspective grids and minor 3d object support. Helpful!

My complaints about it:

• No way to align layer data (read: no center this layer!! baffling)
    • Painting is sluggish in super high-res files
    • Does not add selected layers to a newly created folder (just a small pita)
    • RGB/Hex color values are not displayed in most (all?) swatch interfaces (WHY)

• Jammer

I haven’t tried gimp in a while, but i remember not finding it to my liking. That it was lacking certain things. Inkscape is great, and i love that it’s crossplatform. Downside of needing X11 on mac, but otherwise it’s pretty awesome. I use Graphic for a lot of vector stuff on the mac. Though anything new i’d probably use inkscape just for portability reasons. I have some minor usability complaints with Graphic. That said, i like how it surrounds your canvas in black, helps me focus on just the canvas.

My complaints about it:

• No way to align layer data (read: no center this layer!! baffling)
    • Painting is sluggish in super high-res files
    • Does not add selected layers to a newly created folder (just a small pita)
    • RGB/Hex color values are not displayed in most (all?) swatch interfaces (WHY)

Didnt even know there was an align layer data in any app lol. How high res are we talking for painting feeling sluggish? I was drawing on an 800x500 canvas, so not that big. The rgb thing could be an annoyance, if i want to transfer colours across from images to draw calls.

• LDG

No alignment tools drives me mad when creating sprite sheets :( Anything for decent sized printing at 300 dpi starts to slug a bit.

• Jammer

Yeah i just create a grid with the sizes i need, line things up manually. It actually works pretty okay for me, somehow.

• @Josue said:

Gimp…?
    Inkscape…?

Sorry, I have to be the linux guy.

I’m totally with you on that, but in my mind GIMP is for photo editing, Inkscape is for something-I-don’t-know-can’t-draw-anything-in-it->_<… I just like programs that follow the UNIX Philosophy as closely as possible, which is why I miss having Paint with Layers.

I think there’s something else out there too… Krita? https://krita.org/, probably a bit too fancy for my tastes yet

• Jammer

That’s a good point Faison. Oddly enough, i learned to do digital drawings with vector art first. I did a number of digital/tech courses in highschool. They often involved creating graphics for different things. One was more art focused, others were more graphic design. In the end, I used corel draw. So i got a lot of practice creating various shapes, using nodes & bezier curves. I remember making drawings overtop of bitmap images of dragon ball z characters and such. So it’s definitely something i’m comfortable with. Since richard suggested ctrl paint, i decided to learn how to create more of a painted style. I’ve watched pros draw game art at game jams and such, i get an idea of how the process is, and i’ve managed to find that for my own stuff now. I just need to level up so things don’t look like crap :)