Lostcast 148: Shiperate


  • LDG


  • Tiger Hat

    Hah, I’m going through episodes backwards while I wait for new ones and I had just listened to Geoff foaming at the mouth (lol) about behavior trees in #84 right before this one. Definitely going to be reading that Gamasutra article now though.

    By the way, the link for Lostcast 84 is pointing to http://forum.lostdecadegames.com/lostcast-84/ for me which doesn’t seem to work.


  • Tiger Hat

    From a content vs polish standpoint for a demo, I’d stand with polish, you’re entering a pretty demanding market, we’ve all seen miles of content, but if the game is janky, there’s always an Isaac over the hill.

    I’d prefer to see a 90’s style demo, where you get an entire zone, and maybe a taste of weapons, but speaking as someone who really isn’t into the genre, it’d have to jump off the screen for me to stick with the demo, and lay down cash. A huge content catalogue isn’t going to matter if I don’t make it through my first play through, and in fact, contact catalogue that leaves me wanting is going to make me want to lay out cash more - sure the icicle is fun, but I’d really like to try that greyed out tricicle, take my damn money.

    Sure people dedicated to the genre will give you more time, but to me, you’re competing against Fallout 4, Kerbal Space Program, and Satellite Reign, I’m not going to give you a huge time share unless you nail the game play, or touch a note that is sorely missing from my current library (I need a solid God Game, as Godus has been a complete waste of time, effort, and emotional investment).


  • LDG

    @fallse7en said:

    By the way, the link for Lostcast 84 is pointing to http://forum.lostdecadegames.com/lostcast-84/ for me which doesn’t seem to work.

    Where did you find that link?

    @salmonmoose said:

    a note that is sorely missing from my current library (I need a solid God Game, as Godus has been a complete waste of time, effort, and emotional investment).

    You might like our next game better, tho it’ll be a while :)


  • Tiger Hat

    @richtaur said:

    @fallse7en said:

    By the way, the link for Lostcast 84 is pointing to http://forum.lostdecadegames.com/lostcast-84/ for me which doesn’t seem to work.

    Where did you find that link?

    It’s in the show notes in the parent post. The link to #116 is also pointing to a forum.lostdecadegames.com URL.


  • Tiger Hat

    @richtaur said:

    You might like our next game better, tho it’ll be a while :)

    Oh, I’ll give AWL2 a serious go - it’s not that I won’t play rogue-lites, and I’m somewhat emotionally invested in it :) For what it’s worth, I’m more than happy to take a critical look at the game before release if that’d help you guys out.

    Do you seriously have a god game in the works? It always feels like such a niche genre, and is rarely done well. I’ve been a huge fan of them since the original Populous, and despite having several games on the go now, and a list of ideas that grows at what seems like an increasing rate, I can not put my finger on a good idea for a game in the genre.


  • LDG

    @fallse7en said:

    It’s in the show notes in the parent post. The link to #116 is also pointing to a forum.lostdecadegames.com URL.

    oh, gotcha thanks! I’ve been using relative links like /lostcast-116/ since they work on the website, but they obv don’t work here on the forum. That’s unfortunate because I’ve been doing that a lot ;) oops

    @salmonmoose said:

    Oh, I’ll give AWL2 a serious go - it’s not that I won’t play rogue-lites, and I’m somewhat emotionally invested in it :) For what it’s worth, I’m more than happy to take a critical look at the game before release if that’d help you guys out.

    Aww that’s awesome, we will most certainly take you up on that.

    Do you seriously have a god game in the works? It always feels like such a niche genre, and is rarely done well. I’ve been a huge fan of them since the original Populous, and despite having several games on the go now, and a list of ideas that grows at what seems like an increasing rate, I can not put my finger on a good idea for a game in the genre.

    Populous was so fun, even with the aggressively bad UI on '90s consoles. Geoff often talks about Banished?

    We’re currently playing with a simulation prototype, but you know how it goes – tomorrow we’ll be like “hey this simulation really should be a match-3 FPS MMO LOL” so who knows what it’ll end up playing like ;)


  • Jammer

    I really enjoyed the cast guys. You both create something that I really enjoy every week.

    Thanks!


  • Tiger Hat

    Kind of curious how a match-3 fps would play out.

    My latest revelation, is that there is a mass of zombie games on the market, and few, if any of them actually have the zombie rebirth mechanic.


  • LDG

    An opening in the market!! Ship it


  • Tiger Hat

    @salmonmoose said:

    My latest revelation, is that there is a mass of zombie games on the market, and few, if any of them actually have the zombie rebirth mechanic.

    There’s a web-based game called Urban Dead that had the zombie rebirth mechanic. As far as I remember, you never actually die in that game–if you’re killed as a human, you turn into a zombie. Zombies that are killed reconstitute themselves after a period of time. Other humans can also revive zombies back into humans.

    Man, I played so much of that game in high school. So fun!


Log in to reply