Lostcast 142: Back Peddlers

• LDG

• Jammer

Great cast as usual. I could be wrong, but have you guys gone back to HTML 5? Did I misinterpret that? In any case I’m excited for Dec. I wont be there as I live in Matt’s home state IL, but I’m excited to see whatever content you guys deliver for the playable presentation!

• Hi guys, been listening to the podcast for a while, first time posting on the forums. So with respect to moving back to HTML5 (and Djinn, I’m assuming) and a twin-stick shooter design for AWL2, aren’t those two goals kind of at odds?

Isn’t the big problem with HTML5, and your current engine, performance? Isn’t a twin-stick shooter design more of a performance hog (due to the number of objects/entities on screen at a single time plus bullets, particles, etc.) than a Zelda-alike?

I’d think that since Unity is better, performance-wise, it would be the better choice for a game design that’s more of a resource hog. I’d assume that HTML5 + Zelda-alike would be the best combination or Unity + twin-stick shooter would be ideal.

That said, if you guys think that your engine will perform better this time around based on improvements in libraries/dependencies (Node Webkit and Electron), then cool. Are there any benchmarks that show improvements in performance this time around? Also, do you guys think you can engineer your way around the performance issues with Djinn this time around?

Also, I do get that since you’ve pretty much got Djinn and the code base for AWL1 done, it’s much faster to move straight into producing content and the actual game design, and since time is money for you guys, it makes the most sense financially.

• LDG

@Vox said:

Great cast as usual. I could be wrong, but have you guys gone back to HTML 5? Did I misinterpret that? In any case I’m excited for Dec. I wont be there as I live in Matt’s home state IL, but I’m excited to see whatever content you guys deliver for the playable presentation!

Yes, AWL2 is being built in HTML5. Hey cool where do you live in IL?

• LDG

@Ceric said:

Hi guys, been listening to the podcast for a while, first time posting on the forums. So with respect to moving back to HTML5 (and Djinn, I’m assuming) and a twin-stick shooter design for AWL2, aren’t those two goals kind of at odds?

Welcome to the forum! Yeah for sure, the points you bring up are concerns and largely stuff we’ve knocked around on the podcast before. In an ideal world, we’d build the game out in Unity, something we’ve been moving towards for months now. But with the failed Kickstarter looming over us, it’s time for us to think and move faster. That means building on AWL1, which has seen years of robust development, as opposed to Unity, where we move slower and don’t have as much experience.

We tried to get this across on the podcast but we tend to be rambly ;) so I’ll spell it out here:

AWL1 has some problems for us including stability, performance, headache-inducing distribution, and cross-platform limitations. However, we have shipped a pretty stable and feature-rich game on Steam, a world-class distribution platform. It’s a solid game with a lot of value that we spent tons of time/money on.

We’ve been prototyping AWL2 in Unity for several months, and it’s been going well, but we’ve realized that at the rate we were moving, we wouldn’t be able to finish the game before running out of money. That’s a big problem!

Additionally, as we prototyped melee and tongue mechanics, we were realizing that these systems don’t make for the same fun, action-packed feel of the original game. These two things combined made going back to our HTML5 game engine Djinn an attractive decision.

Hope that explains it better! Fortunately yeah there are improvements across the board: we’ve learned more about HTML5, and our own tools, we have ideas on how to solve certain problems better, and the platforms themselves have upgraded a bit.

Thanks for the questions :)

• Jammer

Interesting to hear on the back paddling. If i was a betting man, I would not have bet on this happening. But it’s good to know you’d still be on unity for a completely new project. It means that it was a worthwhile venture for you guys.

As far as the new game goes, it might be refreshing to have so much boilerplate and mechanics there already, I just hope that you manage to keep the overall technology in check.

Again on getting distracted, i’ve fought myself to try and convert my snowball game to ES6, and other nice to haves. Likewise with a couple ios apps ive been focused on finishing the last couple weeks (make them marketable instead of just use for aaron). I’ve been wanting to swap out the library i’m using for flux as it’s been starting to annoy me. I’m using reflux, instead of facebook’s vanilla one. At the end of the day, better to stick with what i have, get things done.

Mark of the ninja & invisible inc some of the best games ive played recently

Yeah I agree, they are so awesome. I played through MOTN a couple times, just such great stealth & combat play. The strategy and thinking needed in invisibile inc is awesome as well. I soooo want it on my iPad already.

I think i played mark of the ninja a bit after i played dishonored, but both were such competing games for me, as far as my game of the year goes for 2012. 2013 my favourite was anti chamber.

• Patron

@richtaur said:

Yes, AWL2 is being built in HTML5.

HECK YEAH!

TOLD YA!

#LINUXSUPPORT

• LDG

Guessing you didn’t listen to the whole episode … ;)

• Tiger Hat

Howdy,

I was away on holiday with a self imposed curtailing of internet access (first proper holiday in over 2 years!). Sorry to hear that the Kickstarter didn’t pan out but hang in there guys. I think that you’ve been inspiringly positive in not abandoning ship and getting stuck into other options to get AWL2 finished.

@richtaur’s idea of using a hashtag for AWL2 isn’t a bad idea at all. IIRC Kevin Smith used a similar thing with his last movie with people tweeting #WalrusYes or #WalrusNo if they wanted him to make that “Walrus” horror movie.

I couldn’t agree more with the @geoffb’s sentiment that the goal is to ship games regardless of the technology used. There’s a bit of a fanboy / snobbish attitude to game development when people don’t write all the code or create all the assets etc. I initially got into programming because I wanted to work in the games industry but as time has gone on I think it’s fantastic that there are so many tools out there to help people turn their ideas into games.

• Patron

Real reason they switched back to HTML5:

• They can’t beat the game without Ragatron.

• Jammer

I suck at the game, I should also probably try Ragatron

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

Yes, AWL2 is being built in HTML5. Hey cool where do you live in IL?

I live in Palatine, but I grew up in Warrenville (Near Naperville). I don’t know if you’ve heard of any of those places, but it’s cool that we share the same native state!