Amazon Underground

• Tiger Hat

Amazon’s new “Underground” service looks interesting. They pay per second of app foreground usage. Too bad AWL can’t easily be ported to Android. Perhaps AWL2 will be good for this.

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/underground

I guess they are trying to get people on their devices? Or control the ad revenue maybe? You have to have the game / app available for purchase on another store in order to qualify (plus some other requirements).

Anyway, I don’t have an Android app (yet) but thought it was interesting to share.

• LDG

I also read something about Amazon giving up on their hardware, like Fire tablet/phone. That hardware always seemed to be a vehicle for their own app store, which was an attempt to get around Google Play.

From what I’ve read, this Underground system will show players ads either at launch or resume of an app. I assume that Amazon has worked out how much ad revenue they’ll make and are paying developers a small share of that when their apps are used/played.

I wonder how much interest they’ll be able to generate with this system given that there are so many “free” apps already on Google Play. As a user, why would bother installing their app store client?

Interesting stuff, though. It’s pretty cool as a developer to leave the money making to another entity, and just make content. e.g. YouTube videos monetized by Google who then pay content creators some %.

• Patron

Huh… interesting. As @geoffb said, making the monetization have nothing to do with me is really attractive. But as he also said, why would an Android owner bother?

But looking at the docs it seems pretty easy to make an underground version once you already have an APK file, so might be fun to try.

Speaking of, I need to get reacquainted with the native shell libraries. Is Phonegap still the most popular option, or is there perhaps a new kid on the block? Do you happen to be oriented around this stuff, @Warspawn?

• Tiger Hat

Yes, sort of. AFAIK Cordova is still the most popular option. Phonegap if you aren’t aware is Adobe. At some point they bought Phonegap and donated the open source core, Cordova to the Apache foundation. Phonegap is Cordova with value add features from Adobe’s perspective. I believe that Phonegap still has some sort of fees involved somewhere in the pipeline, alternatively Intel has been doing some work on their XDK solution (which is free).

I haven’t done extensive work in this area yet, only a bit of research and proof of concept type stuff. Of course there is also Ludei’s CocoonJS as well, @richtaur and @geoffb have mentioned them plenty on Lostcast and might have more to say.

• Patron

I think Phonegap is only paid if you want to use the Phonegap Build pipeline without the limitations, which you likely don’t need if you’re just doing a basic app.

CocoonJS, if I remember correctly, is more targeted at canvas-based apps, meaning games. It isn’t (or at least wasn’t) a good fit for a regular HTML web app.

• Patron

Well, CocoonJS now has a Chromium based webview, which should be able to run any web app. But it only works in versions of Android posterior to 4.0.
    And it doesn’t allow you to use as many native APIs as Phonegap.

• Patron

Had a peek at the CocoonJS homepage - wow, so much has happened since I last looked at it! It now does indeed look like a very good fit for a DOM game; better performance yet less API bloat when compared to Cordova. Thanks @Warspawn and @Josue!

• Patron

Hey, BTW, how is Algebra Explorer doing?

• Patron

@Josue said:

Hey, BTW, how is Algebra Explorer doing?

Bah, pretty much the same - much appreciated by the few souls who discover it, and I still can’t be bothered to toot the horn. Thanx for asking! :)