JS13KGames Starts tomorrow

• Tiger Hat

Anyone entering http://js13kgames.com this year? I’ve only managed to submit 1 game in 3 attempts. I’m hoping to get something in this year. I really like the technical limitation that everything you submit has to be 13k or less but it’s not always easy to come up with an idea. At least there’s more time to work with than a Ludum Dare Jam.

There are some incredible entries every year and the prizes are great too.

• LDG

I’d love to try this out. I took a half-hearted stab at making something in 1k a while back and it proved rather difficult. 13k seems more reasonable, but still enough limitation where you can’t go crazy with scope.

Also, I’ve been itching to work with the canvas API directly, so the fact that frameworks/libraries aren’t even an option is nice.

• Tiger Hat

In my two failed attempts at entries I got stuck between a game versus tech demo.

There’s a close correlation between people who have awesome canvas related codepens and strong 13k entries. So I think those people get all their “tech demo” itches scratched in advance.

• LDG

The theme is “Reversed”. There are a lot of tried and true game mechanics based on reversal (e.g. Reversi/Othello, reversed gravity, etc), but it will be interesting to see what unique stuff people come up with.

• Tiger Hat

I’ve been spending my commute home trying to brainstorm ideas in an “anything goes, there are no right or wrongs” kind of way and then I’ll narrow them down to a “what the f*ck was I thinking?!” list when I get home :P

“Reversed” is a good theme for once and definitely gives a lot of room to work with. IMHO it kinda sucks the theme is always optional.

• Tiger Hat

Yeah I’m going to give it a shot. A month is a good amount of time, I’ve tried to do LD before, but I just can’t block out that much time all at once. The 13k limit hopefully will help me keep things simple. I got inspired by an ocelot the other day, and I’ve been itching to play with a minimalist entity component system engine. Should be fun

• LDG

@anthony said:

IMHO it kinda sucks the theme is always optional.

According to this blog post, the theme will be more important this year:

You can freely interpret that however you like, but remember that the judges will put more attention to implementing the theme when voting for your entry this time.

@Warspawn Nice :)

• Tiger Hat

@Warspawn Awesome! Best of luck with your game :) I really like having a month to work on the game, as like you, I can never set aside time for Ludum Dare and I always feel like I miss out as a result.

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb They say something similar every year but lets hope they actually mean it this time.

• LDG

@anthony Yeah, there’s a lot of subjectivity there! My theory is that a well executed and polished game with a modest theme tie-in will do well.

• Patron

Hmmm… I might give this a go… Sounds pretty interesting.

And, of course, Imma try to make a game with music. Finally a Web Audio API project to work on! :D

• Tiger Hat

@Josue Cool :) Good luck with your game if you do enter!

• Tiger Hat

So how is everyone getting on with the competition? I’m woefully far behind where I’d hoped I’d be at this stage (I’ve been swamped in my day job so it’s hard to put in time when I get home late). I got a few hours under my belt this afternoon on a prototype and I hopefully get more time tomorrow.

• LDG

I’m behind as well. There’s a lot of AWL2 stuff to do atm, but I’m hoping to finish something by the deadline!

• Tiger Hat

So I never got my entry finished, I had a rough but fun playable demo but I hit a patch of burn out as I was up against it with a release in work (pan-European project that went live on Thursday morning…and is still live at the minute :P) and then I was going on holiday.

I’ll definitely keep working on it as a 1GAM entry maybe. I went with a mechanic where the player had to propel bombs away from themselves and towards chasing enemies by moving in the opposite direction to the bomb. e.g. to send a bomb left, the player would drop the bomb and move to the right with the bomb moving as the player moved. It created a nice puzzle element and the feedback I got on the playable demo were really positive.