Lostcast 134: Nobouya's Razer

• LDG

• Patron

There are lots of really nice orchestral versions of Final Fantasy music.

This is my favorite one. Love it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHo6QTW-97E

I never understood the appeal of OUYA. Most mobile games are garbage, but they at least had the benefit of being… you know… mobile.

When I read the show notes, and saw all those games listed, I thought maybe you were throwing down 4 gauntlets for Ragatron. Whew… very scary!

Thanks for the nice episode.

• Tiger Hat

nice episode! I like the art tips, keep going! I also really found the highlights from the composer article to be very interesting (and pertinent to game development).

I’ve never tried the OUYA, but it does have a decent price point IMO. I think it was more competing with Roku and FireTV than Xbox or PS or even your phone. Don’t forget, your phone (at least mine is) is friggin expensive, like 500+ dollars to get one. Something that a lot of parent’s aren’t going to do for their kids. Kids are also (speculating) more of the target audience for something like OUYA. Also, I imagine a lot of kids want an Xbox or PS but if it’s a choice between the OUYA or nothing (100 vs 400+) they might take it. Plus games for the nextgen consoles (even Wii U) are 30-80 bux, I imagine the games for the OUYA were at more app store type price points. At least I would also speculate that’s some of what OUYA bet on. I think that simple low powered games can be fun, I don’t know what kind of titles were available, but my guess overall was just that it was poorly marketed and the right kind of games weren’t developed. Like you said, if it wasn’t for my interest in game development I’d have no idea what an OUYA even was. (Tho I have seen them at Walmart in the bottom corner shelves, not even behind glass.)

Regarding the dev streams, my vote is that you move them to later at night :D 6pm PST is dinner time, sometimes I try to open it on my phone, but it’s hard to really pay attn for more than a few mins before I just give up. So my vote is that they happen around 9pm :D you know you stay up late anyway hehe. Might be at least worth a trial run to see if it affects viewership at all.

I noticed a lot of added context by Matt that would benefit new listeners or those who missed some of the previous episodes (how dare they!). I just wanted to say, that while I did notice it, and didn’t need it myself, I didn’t mind it and think you should keep doing it.

• Jammer

9pm PST is midnight here :(

• Patron

4pm PST would be the ideal for me, but I guess that’s kinda inviable.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

4pm PST would be the ideal for me, but I guess that’s kinda inviable.

actually I’m good with 4pm PST as well, I’ll still be @ “work” :)

• Jammer

Listened to the episode, held off on podcasts last week as i was going to be doing a lot of driving this past weekend. Anyways have a question for you @richtaur: I know you say to not worry about the tools as far as drawing goes, or heck even programming. I’ve done a bit of the ctrl+paint stuff and recent sketches all using pencil+paper. But would sketching on an iPad be good practice? I often use transit to get to work. My only concern there is it’s hard to be accurate even with a stylus.

• LDG

@agmcleod said:

would sketching on an iPad be good practice? I often use transit to get to work. My only concern there is it’s hard to be accurate even with a stylus.

Great question! You’re doing the Right Thing by studying traditionally IMO. Regarding the iPad, yes use it! The more mediums you use, the stronger your skills will develop. In Harold Speed’s book The Practice and Science of Drawing, he recommends studying both line and form, as one strengthens the other.

Accuracy is mostly necessary only for detail, so even a medium with little fidelity can be great for gestural studies. There’s also this Proko video where he talks with someone … I think an old teacher? and he suggests taking a rolled up newspaper, dipping it in coffee to make big, bold, broad strokes from the shoulder. Watch a minute or two of that link – he goes on to actually dip a stick in paint and use that for several broad gestural studies. These are the kinds of things you could practice on iPad even with a big fat stylus.

• Jammer

Ahh, i’ll keep that in mind. Definitely worth while doing line art, or maybe even contour stuff a bit, as supposed to full drawings.

Also i do enjoy traditional art. I do find sometimes watching/practicing the ctrl+paint exercises less than interesting, but I completely get the reasoning for them. I used to sketch a lot in highschool, and have always enjoyed it. Whether copying some art on the internet, or doing my own creations.