First version of prototype

• Jammer

Have a first working version :) http://projects.agmprojects.com/stealthprototype/ or can download the jar file and run on your desktop: http://projects.agmprojects.com/stealthprototype/desktop-1.0.jar

WASD to move around, the rest is up to you :). The end you can succeed, but not fail. I haven’t put in a proper fail on the exit door yet.

• LDG

Cool! My thoughts:

• could really use a visual indicator where that first hack takes place. not all players will move along the wall
    • jumping from keyboard only to mouse can be jarring. any plans to add keyboard support to the key code selection?
    • I clicked out the wrong code at first and couldn’t find a way to exit the code input menu. oops!

What’s next? You gonna keep iterating?

• LDG

Nice work. I think you should capitalize on the hacking delay at the end. e.g. The enemies should patrol such that they could interrupt your hacking if you don’t time it correctly.

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

could really use a visual indicator where that first hack takes place. not all players will move along the wall

Yeah i think i might try to adjust those tiles a bit. They look slightly different, but it’s clearly too slightly. Im kinda going for slight crack in the wall, drop a bomb in zelda type hint here.

I clicked out the wrong code at first and couldn’t find a way to exit the code input menu. oops!

Yes, this was my last point on not putting in a proper fail when you mess up the code. Or an undo. I’m thinking an incorrect code might cause alarms to go off, but then i think an undo will be warranted. I’m a bit on the fence of adding keyboard support to it. I wanted to use my keyboard multiple times, but i also feel like clicking quickly & accurately adds a challenge. Though maybe it’s just a shitty, tedious challenge.

Nice work. I think you should capitalize on the hacking delay at the end. e.g. The enemies should patrol such that they could interrupt your hacking if you don’t time it correctly.

Yes, i think i want to add even 1-2 more enemies to the end. With keyboard support, this could become a practical challenge. I might hold off on playing with that too much before i implement proper AI. Proper AI may give me some further flexibility on what i can do in the end section there.

Thanks to you both for the feedback :)

• LDG

@agmcleod said:

Yes, this was my last point on not putting in a proper fail when you mess up the code. Or an undo. I’m thinking an incorrect code might cause alarms to go off

That sounds good. Hack failed, you’ve been detected! Harmonizes the hacking with the movement mechanic. Hack failed, run!

but then i think an undo will be warranted. I’m a bit on the fence of adding keyboard support to it. I wanted to use my keyboard multiple times, but i also feel like clicking quickly & accurately adds a challenge. Though maybe it’s just a shitty, tedious challenge.

These days I think a lot about input, as AWL1 has been (and remains) an incredible headache with regard to our pointless amount of input support. Right now it’s a mouse and keyboard game but it could be optimized to just be a keyboard game! Which in turn would be much easier to make a gamepad-only game :D

Thanks to you both for the feedback :)

Pleasure! Hope you keep at it, or at least bring some elements/learnings into your next project. Fun!

• Patron

Here’s my feedback.

P.S: Sorry, I don’t have a pop filter…

• Jammer

Here’s my feedback.
    P.S: Sorry, I don’t have a pop filter…

Very cool! Thanks for the feedback!

It’s actually quite possible to bypass all the guards without being seen. Interesting on passing through the trigger and turning around while still in the vent/passage. I’ll have to think about how to address that.

I did implement the keyboard on the keypad last night. I also started on a bad thing to happen when you fail.

I have a set of ideas to make it much more interesting hacking too. Sort of similar to how you can corrupt systems in Invisible, INC. I’m thinking about having a console/circuit board that you can crack into. Then apply different hack programs in a stack to mess with the system. Maybe you can change the wires around, cause different things to fail. Route too much power to one spot, cause a surge. That kind of thing.

• Patron

@agmcleod said:

Thanks for the feedback!

My pleasure!

It’s actually quite possible to bypass all the guards without being seen.

Wait, whaaaaat?

Nah, now you’re just messing with me, aren’t ya?

XD

Interesting on passing through the trigger and turning around while still in the vent/passage. I’ll have to think about how to address that.

Well, maybe instead of toggling the visibility of the vent whenever you touch the entrance or the exit, you could turn it on when the coordinates of the player are inside a certain boundary, so say, if the player coordinates are inside this square, make the tunnel visible:

I did implement the keyboard on the keypad last night. I also started on a bad thing to happen when you fail.

Yay! Typing game! :P

I’m thinking about having a console/circuit board that you can crack into.

Oh man, this takes me so much back!

It remembers me of when I installed a DS emulator to play Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force!

It had a bunch of interesting sort of “hacking” mini games.
    Of course, the difficulty was meant for children, but the mechanics were quite amusing.

There was even a mini-game where you had to actually solder a PCB and the stylus controlled the soldering iron.
    As a 9 year old, I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

Well, maybe the second coolest thing ever. The coolest one was certainly calling your puffles whistling at the microphone.
    I’ve never been able to whistle, but I found out you could just blow at it, so…

I’ll see if I can find video footage of those mini-games…

• Jammer

I actually addressed the toggle on the visibility by putting the hide ones outside the path. Kept the logic simple & fixed the issue. I’ll try to put a video together for you on how to bypass the guards.

• Jammer

Here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qoMJyjHKHw&feature=youtu.be sorry for the audio clicking, i think that was my keyboard on the mic :)

• Patron

Okay… now that seems a little obvious.