Lostcast 133: Artity

• LDG

• Patron

Another great show! Thanks for the shout-out! Hacking games is fun.

RymdResa makes no mention of any store except Steam, so no Ragatron support for them for now. Why would an indie decide to be Steam exclusive and leave money on the table? Maybe the few pennies that does arrive off of Humble is just a distraction? I’ve cancelled money generators on my end (mobile apps) because the revenue wasn’t worth it.

I really liked the Zelda comic that arrived with Nintendo Power, it being the first thing I read with each issue. The Zelda comic was the first thing I thought of when my magazine article got published by Net, which is owned by Future, which had Nintendo Power for 5 years before the magazine was cancelled. I felt like I made a connection to the comic (at least by a few fewer degrees of separation than I had before).

Tuesday is a workout day thanks to Lostcast!

• Patron

RymdResa says it is coming to Humble!
    https://twitter.com/RymdResa/status/623834916388773888

• Jammer

Too behind on my podcasts this week, finally listening. Re: lighting and shaders. I think your outcome decision to just re-built the functionality from AWL is probably the right one. But with batching, i think you can use one shader, it just becomes a complicated one to code. The thing is you then need to specify the vertices in an attribute that should be lit. Just saying i think it’s possible to use batching + lighting, just not easy ;)

Re: art. I think i’ve said this before, but I find it tricky to keep at the art practice because i’m so programmer passionate. It’s fun to do the ctrl paint stuff, and draw things out. I enjoy the art i do for ludum dare games and that, but I find it difficult to work at it. Which sucks, because i am right now just creating games for myself and my own practice. I want them to look good too. Hard to justify spending $200-500+ on some art for a game that won’t sell much.

• LDG

@agmcleod said:

Re: art. I think i’ve said this before, but I find it tricky to keep at the art practice because i’m so programmer passionate

For a long time it was hard for me to dig deeper into art for that very reason – I love programming and there was always programming work to do, so art was never a priority. Geoff handling even more of the development has bought me the ability to focus more on art. Not sure what the takeaway there is, except that sometimes working with others is super cool ;)

I want them to look good too. Hard to justify spending $200-500+ on some art for a game that won’t sell much.

Your first N games won’t be great, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be as good and attractive as you can make them. Whenever they can afford to, I believe people should invest in themselves and their passions. You’re already spending the time (which is sometimes a more valuable currency), now to spend some money to make your time better spent. Do it, you’re worth it!

… and other motivational sentences ;)

• Patron

I just wanted to say that low-poly 3D seems a better idea for programmer dudes to me.

I mean, if it doesn’t look that good, you can throw a bunch of shader on it and… well…

• Jammer

@Josue said:

I just wanted to say that low-poly 3D seems a better idea for programmer dudes to me.

I mean, if it doesn’t look that good, you can throw a bunch of shader on it and… well…

This feels like a similar argument to me of that and using pixel art. On the surface it may look easier, but you still need well built models, animations, good choice of colour, etc.

• Patron

@agmcleod said:

This feels like a similar argument to me of that and using pixel art. On the surface it may look easier, but you still need well built models, animations, good choice of colour, etc.

Sure, but you only have to model each character/prop once, you can reuse most of the animations and you don’t have to animate frame-by-frame.

Heck, you don’t even have to texture it.

I mean, just look at Super Hot.

• Jammer

Well decided to sketch something on the internet, for a little practice. Fun little productive thing to do while kicking back, watching some netflix:

The rough sketch: http://imgur.com/EJwXQEO

Then the more filled out one: http://imgur.com/a4Rq09U