Lostcast 128: Live Action Role-Podcasting

• LDG

• Patron

Why migrate to YouTube to stream? YouTube is (in)famous for removing / injecting ads in videos that it decides has violated its trigger-happy copyright algorithm. This includes games that have legally licensed their in-game music.

Twitch streamers aren’t going to jump to YouTube if they feel like they will lose control or lose revenue of their streams.

• Patron

@dannagle said:

Why migrate to YouTube to stream?

'Cause it’s way more reliable?

• LDG

yeah that was it. I started watching on Twitch, but when it went down, YouTube was there

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur why did you have a box of shoes?

interesting to hear about some non D&D / Vampire type LARPing that exists

I backed the kickstarter for Darkest Dungeon, the art is really awesome and I’m a big fan of Lovecraftian Horror. It reminds me a lot of a pen & paper RPG called Call of Cthulhu which took place in the 20s & 30s but you had a party of adventurers / investigators who would venture into places unknown and face horrible things. In that game, you are highly prone to fears, or going insane, or of course just being killed. Darkest Dungeon is cool because it’s sort of like your traditional role playing game, but they take party morale to the extreme. How many grotesque skeletons can someone really face with unaltered resolve? It’s a very challenging game, and you really have to accept that a lot of your favorite characters are going to be incapacitated / killed frequently. You have to keep refilling the party from the pile of new recruits.

• LDG

box of shoes? I’m confused

• Jammer

Question for @geoffb, you had mentioned the fact you still write a fair bit of code. You had shown a friend of yours all your scripts and that. I’m wondering how you keep it organized. When i’ve done small unity projects, referencing other scripts through GetComponent calls felt rather hackey. Vs when i use a code framework, I find i’m able to leverage the language tools far better.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

your solution to purchasing 99 potions was to “put a box of shoes on the controller and walk away”

• LDG

@agmcleod I try to keep each script small and modular. That does, however, mean that many scripts end up being dependencies of other scripts which requires a bunch of GetComponent. It’s a fairly different system than my preferred “bag of data” approach, but I’ve learned to like it.

I’m not familiar with any code frameworks that make that easier, but I always appreciate suggestions if you can point me towards a better approach!

• Jammer

Interesting. I did read a comment on reddit today that mentioned use of a Script being tagged on as your base component. Then add other classes as you need it, reference those from that component. Write it how you would write other software. Which i thought was interesting, though i’m not sure on how i’d set it up. Monodevelop isn’t the handiest tool for setting up multi file projects.

• LDG

@Warspawn said:

@richtaur said:

your solution to purchasing 99 potions was to “put a box of shoes on the controller and walk away”

oh I see. I meant just a “shoebox” that box that shoes usually come in. We’d keep those around the house because they’re cheap and good for holding stuff.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

@Warspawn said:

@richtaur said:

oh I see. I meant just a “shoebox” that box that shoes usually come in. We’d keep those around the house because they’re cheap and good for holding stuff.

ohhhhhh you meant Box of Shoes, like Sword of Long and Tube which is You ;) now I understand

• LDG

it’s very European~!

• LDG

OK geoff explained it to me, apparently in the episode I said “box of shoes” haha

It’s funny we often forget the details about stuff we talked about.

Good memories, buying Final Fantasy potions via gravity.