Lostcast 127: No Bones

• LDG

• Tiger Hat

Guess I should have recorded my refund experience. I refunded a survival game, called Reign of Kings. I don’t remember exactly when I bought it, but I had only 87 min and it was definitely outside the 2 week window. The game was Early Access and so even though there was lots of crashing and glitches, it wasn’t that that was really bad. It was that it was totally boring. No one was on the servers, and even when I tried to do something by myself it would crash. I actually think at the time I meant to buy another similar game, and clicked on that one by mistake. I mostly remembered that I wish I hadn’t done that after playing, and because refunds didn’t exist, chalked it up as a loss. You have to go to customer support website and it asks you to categorize your issues. It attempts to offer solutions and makes a decent attempt to keep your business, though it’s not too hard if you’re intent on a refund, to get to the form. I filled it out and within a couple of hours it was accepted.

I also tried with the game Rust, which I have even less time logged against. I really didn’t like that game either, and was sorry that the videos and reviews had convinced me. This one however I bought much longer ago, and they instantly declined me stating that it was beyond a 6 month window. So that’s the real cutoff, most likely to try to help people who already missed that 2 week window, giving them a pretty generous one. I doubt as time goes on that many refunds would fall outside the 2 week window.

Buying a dissatisfied customer a game is waaaay above and beyond. Where do I sign up for the Geoff buys me a game program :)

I don’t think “Things will get worse before they get better” is a regex, but it is a thing.

Feeling your oats is, but I kept thinking (before you explained it) about Sewing your oats.

• Tiger Hat

@Warspawn you sow your oats, not sew them!

• LDG

Cool good to know, sounds like they have a (temporary?) 6 month window, hopefully just for the launch of the feature. It could potentially really hurt for people to be retroactively taking back their money that we’ve already spent :P

Man I"ve gotta do that refund today to test out the system. WHO WILL BE MY VICTIM BAHAHAetc.

• Jammer

@richtaur said:

Man I"ve gotta do that refund today to test out the system. WHO WILL BE MY VICTIM BAHAHAetc.

Wants to do refund, get’s steam sale to try it with lol.

• Tiger Hat

well due to all the praise from you two about Invisible, Inc. and Hotline Miami (and general hype too, I suppose you dont get all the blame) I decided to pick them up. I have to say, both are fantastic games. I stayed up until 4am playing HM almost beat it in one sitting (it’s short, but totally worth the money). Got Invisible, Inc. last night and stayed up way too late playing that too. It’s likely going to have a lot more play hours, though not sure about the actual campaign length. I also now can see why you would start over if you lost an agent. :D Looking forward to getting taken down by security :D

anyway, next I suppose I’ll have to try HM2 tho I’m waiting / hoping for a big steam summer sale drop on it…

• LDG

@Warspawn said:

Got Invisible, Inc. last night and stayed up way too late playing that too. It’s likely going to have a lot more play hours, though not sure about the actual campaign length. I also now can see why you would start over if you lost an agent. :D Looking forward to getting taken down by security :D

The time mechanic feels really interesting in Invisible, Inc. With only 75 hours per campaign, you really have to pick and choose which targets to hit. And if anything bad happens on a mission (losing an agent, failing the objective) it feels like a real step backwards.

You can also run custom campaigns with more/less time. I believe there’s an infinite mode, too.