Lostcast 124: Meancast

• LDG

Lostcast 124: Meancast

How’d we get the name LDG? Backstory! Also turn-based tactics and Unity and YOU!

• I said it on twitter and I’ll say it again here: 100 points for @richtaur for Mana being hard to “mana-age” XD

Keep on with the awesome stuff you’ve been doing, always enjoyed the podcast and I’m enjoying the streams I’ve caught too.

• Patron

Thanks for answering my questions!

When I saw the episode title, I thought that “Meancast” was a referring to my criticisms about the previous episode. You had me on pins and needles until the very end to find the real reason for the title. Maybe it read harsh, but I enjoy each episode.

Indeed, I’ve said it many times on the forums, but I enjoyed Lava Blade a lot more than AWL. I like playing games one-handed – with my other hand holding a beer. OK, so maybe the general idea behind Lava Blade is a bit uninspired, but the engine is solid and the gameplay is VERY beer-friendly!

I have $20 allocated towards your next Kickstarter. Just send me a link. :-)

• Jammer

Was interesting to hear about the potential playstation deal, and how the developers there were mentioning unity. It really is the better option out there if you want to hit up every platform. Like you guys, I’m mostly focused on desktop, but if I want to venture into mobile, i’ll need to write my renderer to support open gl es as well. It really tacks on effort with each platform you want to support.

Oh, also. Tomorrow is a difficult word to spell. I remember in grade 5 or 6, I was adamant that it did not have a “w” at the end. I spelt it with two m’s and two r’s. One r, every which way you could think of. Tomorrow sucks ;)

• LDG

@dannagle said:

When I saw the episode title, I thought that “Meancast” was a referring to my criticisms about the previous episode. You had me on pins and needles until the very end to find the real reason for the title. Maybe it read harsh, but I enjoy each episode.

haha oh no your criticisms weren’t mean at all, just an understandable point of view. It’s funny, Geoff thought the name came from “meaning” like “why is the company called LDG? what’s the meaning” but it could also be from us being mean/deprecating to each other e.g. “I’ll replace you with Unity and won’t miss you” Love them multiple meanings!

I have $20 allocated towards your next Kickstarter. Just send me a link. :-)

Sweeeeeet thanks! More to come on that :)

Thanks for the comments you guys this stuff really motivates !

• Tiger Hat

Finally got a chance to listen to this one :)

It’s funny you guys mentioned “Borland C++”! It’s the first compiler software I bought with a year of saved up pocket money (well, that and a new released Quake II). It came with an install CD (anyone remember those?) as well as a big fat programming book with too examples that didn’t compile (and there was nowhere to get the corrections from).

I wrote a few console based games - tic tac toe, hangman, checkers, and a text based adventure that was a mess of if/else, cin, and cout :D

• LDG

Hey alright! Borland C++ high-five

The only game I remember making in that hostile environment was a kinda Dragon Warrior-esque RPG, overworld only of course. I got discouraged after, when moving around the map, the memory allocated for the player’s coordinates would corrupt the memory for the player’s stats like health. (had some nasty memory leak I could barely comprehend.) Fun times.

Edit: *Borland