Lostcast 123: There and Back a Friend

• LDG

• Patron

I’m looking forward to this podcast getting back to digital game dev as I have little interest in developing analog games. Developing a physical product is a completely different type of business that I wouldn’t want to chase.

The talks now seem to be heavy on light banter. Techniques were touched on a bit, but perhaps the technical discussions about digital development are now mostly handled by the live streams? Maybe that actually is a better place for it since Unity is so visual, but unfortunately I am always busy at 1:30pm Central.

My original use of this podcast was to help improve my game development skills, and I have used a lot of techniques I heard back when you were deep in Crypt Run development. This podcast is produced for free without an ads for an audience that have probably already bought all your games. I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but that’s just my feedback. Your wider audience may have a different goal.

• Tiger Hat

@dannagle I respectfully disagree - there is tons in this episode about game design and getting a good game to market. So it’s not all technique, but then game design is so much more than be able to put the right codes in the right place.

I think this reflects where LDG are in terms of their development cycle, and seems pretty honest on their part.

Lostcast is about how games are made, which is so much more than a coding tutorial.

+1 for mentioning Crypt Run tho :)

• Patron

@cheersphilip

It says it right on their splash screen: Game Development
    Imgur

They are related, but Game Development is not quite the same as Game Design. I think you are correct. I’m sure Lostcast will deep dive in to code discussions once their top level designs are finished.

• Tiger Hat

Notebooks - I’m guilty of this! I’ve had notebooks since secondary school (aka high school), my thinking being “I have a lot of ideas, and if I don’t write them down I’ll forget the good ones”. So 15 years later and I’m still writing lots of ideas…not so many good ones though!

I occasionally flick through them to see if there’s anything I can use these days. I can definitely see a progression in my thinking from just writing an “idea” to adding including initial mechanic and technical notes.

One thing’s for sure, my hand writing has only gotten worse. Moleskines are too expensive to use regularly so, thankfully a few years ago, I found a cheaper alternative TeNeues CoolNotes

Working to get good at something @richtaur in relation to what you were saying about time spent on getting good - have you seen this quote from Edmund McMillen?

Edmund McMillen Quote

• LDG

Sorry you aren’t digging the topics @dannagle but yeah as @cheersphilip was saying, we just talk about what’s currently going on. At first the podcast was about HTML5 game development specifically, which obviously it can’t be anymore, and then it was maybe about game dev in general, which isn’t even always what a game studio is necessarily doing. If the show hadn’t evolved to fit into what we have going on, it would have halted by now.

Hopefully y’all will stay with us while we ramp up on the next project. Pretty sure we’ll rapidly get to the point where we’re deep in the trenches again on the next project, and then some people will complain that it’s too CryptRutty ;)

(also: we DO love topic requests, which we haven’t seen in ages. that’s another reason we just talk about whatever we’re doing)

• Patron

I’m full of topic ideas. Here are a few that aren’t in the trenches:

• I was curious how you got the name “Lost Decade Games”. I thought it was a reference to Japan’s “Lost Decade” : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Decade_(Japan)

• Will there be a sequel to AWL, and will it be Unity-based? I’m interested in playing a side-by-side comparison of that game. I wouldn’t mind a silly tech demo.

• Will your next game also be crowd-sourced?

• May I have a Lava Blade 2?

• Patron

@dannagle said:

Oh, that’s easy!

It’s a reference to the decade they both spent working with webdev instead of doing what they loved.

• Patron

I do like game design discussions and definitely believe that they have their value, but…
    You know, technique is such a more tangible of a topic.

There’s no right or wrong when it comes to design. It really depends a lot on who you are, what were you influenced by and specially on who is your audience.
    When it comes to technique, however, I can say without doubt, for example, that quadtrees is the way to go if you have lots of moving objects on a large world.

Another thing that makes these types of discussion harder to digest to me (apart from the fact that I love math) is the lack of well defined de facto vocabulary (itself a topic already discussed on a previous cast), which leads to the usage of the same term, or very similar ones, to describe maybe slightly different concepts, which is, oh, so confusing.

TL;DR: I love Math! I hate Aesthetics!

• LDG

True yeah LDG came from our (almost) a decade each of webdev – we’ll talk about it. Thanks for the topics!

• Tiger Hat

I too was forced to write journals, I think it was the 6th grade. I remember mine being about Metal Gear.

I was this close to watching the live stream, I’m at work at that time, doing webdev. I need a calendar appt to remind me, I was thinking about slacking off and watching but then I got busy and forgot until the afternoon. I thought about watching them on youtube, but then I get the “well that’s a couple hours of non interactive time, and since it’s on youtube I can watch it whenever, so I’ll do it later” we’ll see, i’ll keep trying to work them in :)

I liked the idea of do it 100 times, gotta try that with some things

• LDG

Yeah there’s something about the live streams that have this element of importance, like you will miss out on things if you’re not there. I’ve got a massive queue of videos I’ve been meaning to watch, but there’s no hurry, so maybe I’ll never get to them …!!

The “do it 100 times” approach is fantastic. And it scales great too. Still not there? Do 100 more!

• Tiger Hat

For me, I’m tired of 3D modelling being scary. It’s a little off from the Draw 100 path, but I’ve decided to use the same concept. I’m going to make 100 low poly models of stuff. Not going to worry about if they are crap, not going to worry about skinning (for now, tho that’ll prolly be the next 100).

I’ve started doing it here for anyone who wants to see :) (starting with the Well)

https://clara.io/user/Warspawn

• LDG

very cool! The do-100 method definitely works for tons of disciplines, not just drawing. I’m thinking about doing it for chili :D

• Jammer

Finished the episode on saturday. Was good. I can really appreciate where repetition and training just help so much. Something i need to do with drawing for sure.

As far as streaming goes, i have a similar issue to you Matt, but more with streaming games. I usually watch a show/movie on second screen while gaming, so streaming isn’t really ideal. But i like growing an audience, and sharing my gameplay with my friends. In the end, i think i’ve streamed 2-3 times tops in the last month. I definitely want to stream gamedev stuff more, but given i’m learning graphics basics, I feel like it wouldn’t be very compelling.

• LDG

yeah it’s mostly output that seems interesting to stream regarding game dev. Creating systems, bug hunting, learning interfaces, figuring out ho to draw, all not that fun to watch probably. We were talking about focus yesterday and which platform (Twitch/YouTube) makes the most sense. For me it seems like what would probably do best are bite-sized art production timelapses – but that does require us being in full production mode.

I really enjoyed gameplay streaming on Twitch tho, and I don’t think my particular style/desires would translate well to YouTube.

Such a hard decision, they both have pros/cons!

• Tiger Hat

Twitch has this really cool feature that I’m sure everyone already knew about, it emails me when you go live! So now I’ve managed to catch a couple of the live streams (gameplay and dev) and I really think they are good stuff. I think that even a stream where someone is learning the basics or just working on concept art or doodling or just playing a game are still good. If you’re learning, then there’s a chance that someone in chat might know something to help you. I don’t think that the streamer has to be put up on a pedestal like that. I think that yes while they are on the spot, it can still be more like working in a group of peers.

Anyway, what you’ve been doing so far is cool and I enjoy it :)