Lostcast 122: Playing for Keeps

• LDG

Lostcast 122: Playing for Keeps
    Matt asks about Geoff’s card game, ending with more Arcade Attack action.

Show notes

• Tiger Hat

Geoff’s Card Game

For a few months late last year I started to read Challenges For Game Designers in an effort to a) get away from computers as my day job was getting hectic and b) to try a different type of game design. I’ve never been into table top games that weren’t things like Scrabble, chess, poker etc. Whenever I’ve tried to make my own games they tend to a few simple mechanics and “twitchy” because I hate playing games with lots of rules. So I it really pushed me out of my comfort zone.

It was very tough at first to only have the “basics” (pencils, paper, playing cards, some dice and an egg timer) but it became really rewarding very quickly as it was so easy to iterate through ideas. (It was also a joy not to have fix buggy collision detection or wonky path finding:P). It was definitely invaluable experience and something I’m planning to do again soon.

• Jammer

Haven’t ever designed a table top game, but i’ve played a decent amount with co-workers. Things like seven wonders, shadow over camelot, Dixit, king of tokyo, robo ralley, race to the galaxy, Coup & resistance, and some others I’m forgetting. So many fun games out there that encourage good social times, fun poking at each other and that :).

• LDG

Robo Rally is one of my favorites! For those who haven’t heard of it, each player “programs” their robot with a set of cards like Move Forward 3, Turn Left, Fire Laser, etc. The actions all get resolved such that your opponent’s robot could move into your way screwing up your plan, move into or out of your firing range, and so on. It’s a blast.

• Patron

Robo Rally <3 <3 <3

• Jammer

When you’re first learning is the worst. Takes you a minute to realize how things will play out. Drive into a pit, lol.

• Patron

@agmcleod said:

When you’re first learning is the worst. Takes you a minute to realize how things will play out. Drive into a pit, lol.

NEVER happened to me EVER.*

(*blatant lie)

• Patron

Just wanted to say thanks for producing this podcast. I like listening to gamedev while working out.

• Jammer

“In general? In Gineral?”

Sigh lol. Matt hittin up the dad jokes.

• LDG

yay podcast chat! for some reason the forum didn’t notify me of any of this

• Patron

Yeah, notifications got a bit weird since the last update.

I receive the “someone has posted a reply” notification, but they don’t appear under the unread tab.