I like Lava Blade!

• Tiger Hat

There, I said it.

I like the re-factoring from a side-scrolling platform to a turn-based RPG, I like the look and feel, I like that Lars is called Lars, I like his friends and I like killing lizard men.

Think I’ll just leave that there.

• LDG

Niiiiice! Literally the first time I’ve heard positive feedback like this. Usually people will comment that they like one individual thing (e.g. animation or music), which to me has felt like people struggling to find one nice thing to say.

Great to hear, I’m so glad! We did work really hard on it and put a lotta love into it. I think I mostly feel weird about it because we launched, and then it disappeared, then we put it on Greenlight where it was flayed by the Steam community.

Thanks for the kind words <3

• Patron

Niiiiice! Literally the first time I’ve heard positive feedback like this. Usually people will comment that they like one individual thing (e.g. animation or music), which to me has felt like people struggling to find one nice thing to say.

Great to hear, I’m so glad! We did work really hard on it and put a lotta love into it. I think I mostly feel weird about it because we launched, and then it disappeared, then we put it on Greenlight where it was flayed by the Steam community.

Thanks for the kind words <3

I agree with Philip, but I wouldn’t make this thread because I don’t own Lava Blade, (because my parents don’t let me use their credit cards so often anymore…
    (Speaking of which, when do we get our free copies of Lava Blade?)) and I think the only way I can really express my love for Lava Blade is by buying it.

I always didn’t like turn based games. Not that I hated them, but I always thought that only board turn based games were fun. But then Lava blade came and just destroyed everything I knew about turn based games…
    I think the music plays a HUGE role on that, because the game itself is kinda slow, but the music just pumps me up so much!

Random question: why is the villan called Djin? Don’t you love your tools? The lead character should be named Djin!

• LDG

Yeahhhhh we need to get those Lava Blade copies out. No reason to wait, really! They totally dropped off our radar but we should just get that done. Look for 'em soon!

Regarding Djinn… love is very close to hate in the emotional scale ;)

• Tiger Hat

Lava Blade is on my Google Apps page, (along with Onslaught! Arena), so I see it’s little icon pretty often :)

btw; I never play games with the sound on, because I mostly game at work (during my lunchbreak, obv.).

Is this wrong?

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

btw; I never play games with the sound on, because I mostly game at work (during my lunchbreak, obv.).
    Is this wrong?

Well, if Mr.Morse is the composer, then yes!

• Patron

I would also like to tip my hat to Lava Blade. The gameplay has a bit of a Chrono Trigger and Advance Wars vibe that I like. I never was good at twitching my fingers fast enough to keep up with action games. Lava Blade gives me time to think and strategize.

• LDG

Aww, thanks for the kind words!

@geoffb especially has an itch to scratch, so I’m pretty sure we’ll do another turn-based game someday, with similar mechanics. We learned so much from LB, it’d be a real shame not to capitalize on that.

• Patron

@richtaur Why don’t you wrap it up in CocoonJS and put it on the mobile stores?

You already have it purely touch-driven, and the graphics aren’t that intense. Any iOS device within the past few years should be OK. Even modest Android devices these days should be able to handle it. To ensure best Android performance, you could have the AndroidManifest.xml say that only API Level: 14 (Android 4.0 / Ice Cream Sandwich) and above is supported. Your app will only be available to devices released within the past couple years. CocoonJS has this ability built-in to their cloud compiler. Their default is set to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), which is ancient. You don’t want that.

• Patron

@dannagle said:

@richtaur
    Their default is set to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), which is ancient. You don’t want that.

Yes, he wants that!
    Otherwise, I won’t be able to play it on my phone!
    But I mean, the web version runs I would say at 10fps on my phone.
    A CocoonJS port could easily reach at least 30fps, which I think it enough for Lava Blade.

• LDG

We were (unpleasantly) surprised to find that Lava Blade runs pretty slowly on mobile. Each character is something like 8-10 views (because of the doll parts) and it’s a big area to draw. We designed it for mobile (and desktop, sigghhhh LDG) so it’s “mobile-ready” but we (read: @geoffb) has to do a lot of optimization work before we could actually ship it and feel good about it.

• You ever thought about returning to this code base by the way? I know you mentioned you wouldn’t want to do this kind of turn based strategy again but given the FPS issues you’ve been hitting on your current canvas implementation with real-time, do you have any ideas for another turn based game while you work on Djinns rendering? I saw a game on Steam recently that was Lava Blade in style but AWL in terms of polish.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/285800

• LDG

Old code is like kryptonite to us, but we can’t deny the urge to make a “good” turn-based strategy game. More to come…!

• Patron

@richtaur

I would buy Lava Blade v2.0. Just tell me where to send the money!

Please don’t grab the pitchforks and kick me off the forums, but I actually liked Lava Blade better than AWL. My fingers simply cannot twitch fast enough to keep up with AWL. I never got passed the 2nd dungeon. I also like to sip coffee (or beer) during game play. Lava Blade is far more beer-friendly.

• Tiger Hat

I thought Lava Blade was okay overall, but the rest mechanic was awful.

• @Elite said:

I thought Lava Blade was okay overall, but the rest mechanic was awful.

Agreed. The campfire is like a boring advert that you’re forced to watch haha
    An advert that you can pay gold to skip so that you can farm for more gold to skip yet another advert…

I assumed that the campfire was a remnant of a free-to-play model for mobile. Mr. @richtaur, can I get a statement from you? *points microphone*

• LDG

@dannagle said:

I would buy Lava Blade v2.0. Just tell me where to send the money!
    I actually liked Lava Blade better than AWL

Haha excellent, thanks for that! Totally fair that you like LB more than AWL – really what we did by switching genres is confuse the player base we were growing. Our release pattern:

Onslaught! Arena: action
    Lunch Bug: turn-based
    Lava Blade: turn-based
    AWL: action

An every-other approach would have been better, that way maybe we could have kept both types of gamers happy. But we didn’t know what we were doing! Business-wise it would probably make the most sense for us to just stick to action and grow that niche, but we’ve got such a deep, old love of turn-based strategy that we’ll probably come back…!

• Tiger Hat

I don’t know why I’m playing this game again but I thought this was hilarious: Ugh, ugly white background, ruined

• Patron

Using Ragatron on Lava Blade felt like playing it again with Game Genie.

Speaking of Ragatron, I need to update it to support the latest AWL. It is still on the July 4th edition.

• LDG

haha made me think of:

Dog: Hi, Homer. Find your soul mate.
    Homer: Wait a minute, there’s no such thing as a talking dog!
    Dog: Woof! Woof!
    Homer: Damn straight.

From El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer

• LDG

@Elite The dangers of procedural generation! I always meant to go back and limit the taunts to appropriate unit types, but…