I like your game.

• I like your game quite a lot, but I have some criticisms. As a fan of old school roguelikes and newer procedural generation games, I think your game has a very good feel for top down dual shooter games, but lacks certain elements that may benefit a wider audience.

Have you ever tried to play through Final Fantasy again? I mean, the first one? You don’t have the time. Roguelikes already have the difficulty of being hard as hell without savegames (typically.) With a modern gamer, you need to appeal to a continuing storyline or a time based restriction on access… well, don’t do the latter. I think you should have more story. I would love to see that story. Your game is like The Binding of Isaac, but for people who based their religion on Pratchett and thought that humor was his biggest sin.

As well as that, I’ve run into multiple problems with the procedural generation. I have many rooms that seem to be all owls that have me once I attack one of them. If something should go batshit crazy on me, shouldn’t it be the bats? Barrels are punishingly hard on enemies, yes, so an advantage to be played, but on users as well. I mean one barrel means a life, and the Wicca rooms aren’t even explained on the wiki page for your game. With a design as good as you have, it should be. There should be some extra handbooks for the startup at least.

Don’t get me wrong, I love old school true roguelikes, and I spent more time playing ADOM than I ever should have. The punishing difficulty was rewarding in days when kilobytes were days of playing. As it stands, though, we have a hard game with hard rules that are opaque. If you’d like to keep it this way, then that’s quite acceptable. If not, please keep developing this game and look to help the gaming community develop this further by giving some tools for us to do so.I think you’ve done the best job of developing a two stick shooter roguelike that I’ve seen so far, but I want the genre to develop further and become more robust.

I think your work deserves more appreciation.

Thanks,
    thegiantsnail.

• Tiger Hat

Gotta love the owls :)

There is much more discussion of this aspect of the game on another thread.

• Patron

@thegiantsnail If you ever decide to give up, I wrote an open-source hacking tool that can turn AWL in to a cake walk.

• LDG

@thegiantsnail said:

Have you ever tried to play through Final Fantasy again?

I’ve beaten the first FF many times BUT – and this is telling – I used to play it with both a strategy guide and the Game Genie. We’re working on save states, so that might help the situation.

I have many rooms that seem to be all owls that have me once I attack one of them. If something should go batshit crazy on me, shouldn’t it be the bats?

They go owlshit crazy! Geoff made a video to help with owls. They are quite brutal tho, and some rooms yeah there’s just too many of them. They require patience, which is not something players are eager to practice in an action game.

Barrels are punishingly hard on enemies, yes, so an advantage to be played, but on users as well. I mean one barrel means a life, and the Wicca rooms

Which rooms are the Wicca rooms you’re talking about?

The punishing difficulty was rewarding in days when kilobytes were days of playing. As it stands, though, we have a hard game with hard rules that are opaque. If you’d like to keep it this way, then that’s quite acceptable.

I agree in general that AWL feels more rooted in the brutal difficulty of the 80-90s and, with regards to difficulty and in-game information, feels kind of behind by modern standards. We’ll make some tweaks to ease things a bit, but most of these design decisions are pretty fundamental. We’re learning and will at least apply this great feedback to future games for sure.

I think your work deserves more appreciation.

Thank you! This is one of the first things I read today – what a great way to start the day :) Welcome to the forum, and really appreciate your thoughts on the game.

• I agree with all statements minor changes can make huge different to game.