Unity now (more) free! Source 2 free!

• Patron

It seems this week is all about awesome game engine news.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/237853/Unity_5_released_with_upgrades_fullfeatured_free_version.php

You only have to pay Unity you exceed $100k or want some of the advanced features. Sounds like a winner to me! Considering my Macbook Pro could barely even launch UE4, I am dropping that research now. My guess is that LDG will probably still need to pay $75/mo as the $100k limit is probably gross for the whole company. It’s great news for us plebs though.

Valve announced Source 2 will also be free:
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/237853/Unity_5_released_with_upgrades_fullfeatured_free_version.php

Valve’s site says “stay tuned” so I can’t seem to find any details about revenue caps, etc.

• LDG

What a great time to make video games :3

• Tiger Hat

Huzzah! I still like UE4 and am going a bit deeper, but I also installed Unity5 to play around with. With all this access to AAA engines it’s indeed a great time to make games. Also now I have no excuse, just gotta pick one and do eeet! Writing your own engine at this point seems like a fool’s errand.

• Tiger Hat

GAah!?

I was going through the tutorials of Phaser - and now everything else is free!?! I’m so confused :(

• @cheersphilip said:

I was going through the tutorials of Phaser - and now everything else is free!?! I’m so confused :(

Maybe try creating a small, simple game with Phaser first and then recreate the same game with Unity, just as a learning experience?
    Ideally, you need to learn HTML5 game development and Unity/Unreal development concurrently so you have the widest range of flexible skills.

If you want to target the web, pure HTML5 is still the way to go - small, optimized files and quick load times.
    Like these amazing 13K games:

http://js13kgames.com/#winners

I can’t imagine Unity or Unreal Engine will ever be able to output highly optimized games like that.
    And, there will always be a niche for them.

• LDG

@Warspawn said:

Writing your own engine at this point seems like a fool’s errand.

Gotta agree. BUT I’ll say that writing engines is a lot of fun, so, really it depends on your goals. If you want to learn and enjoy, sure create an engine. If you want to SHIP A GAME, good grief, so many companies are begging you to use their amazing tools

• Patron

@Warspawn said:

Unless, of course, if it just so happens that you really don’t wanna switch from Javascript or Linux.

• @Josue said:

@Warspawn said:

Unless, of course, if it just so happens that you really don’t wanna switch from Javascript or Linux.

Or if you hate that your only open source options are created in Java and you’re stuck using a bloated IDE whose EULA says they can use you in advertisements, leaving you to have to learn C and watch what other open source projects are doing…

wait, sorry, I’m talking about PHP IDE’s and PhpStorm.

/me goes back under his rock.